A cheap but highly useful metal alloy of iron and carbon and/or other metals, steel is the most plentiful crafting material, along with wood, found in-game and is a component used in crafting to make various items, including weapon modifications and structures. Steel is also used to repair damaged power armor.
Miscellaneous object (see below)
- Most robot enemies drop several units of steel.
- Most Level 3 settlement general goods merchants sell shipments of 250 steel.
- The following merchants all sell shipments of 100 steel:
- Myrna and Percy at Diamond City Surplus. They sell 4 shipments of 100, and they also have a shipment of 250. Their stock is replenished anywhere from 1-3 in-game days.
- Brother Ogden in the Crater of Atom.
- Lucas Miller, in a traveling caravan, also sells a shipment.
- Rufus Rubins in Goodneighbor (100).
- Sister Mai in the Nucleus fo4fh.
- Shelbie Chase in Nuka-Town market (250) fo4nw.
- Katelyn Alden in Nuka-Town market (250) fo4nw.
- A large amount can be acquired at the Federal ration stockpile, as it contains a large amount of tin cans and cans.
- Once you claim Spectacle Island as a settlement, you can scavenge the crates and washers of the beached barge on the northeast side of the island for a large amount of steel.
- Infinite amounts can be acquired from the Jamaica Plain Town Hall basement by collecting and re-activating the tripwires.