The ability to communicate in a practical and efficient manner. The skill of convincing others that your position is correct. The ability to lie and not get caught.”— In-game description
Speech is a Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas skill. In Van Buren, it was to be divided into two skills: Persuasion and Deception. The skill was also to appear in Fallout Tactics but was cut from the final game build.
The Speech skill is an often used plot device at the end of Fallout games, almost always as a device to persuade the final "boss" of the game to leave without fighting (in the case of Augustus Autumn and Legate Lanius) or commit suicide (in the case of the Master and General Jingwei).
Fallout and Fallout 2Edit
- Fallout 2:
The Speech skill was in the first draft of Fallout Tactics skills, but was eventually left out.
Speech checks are done with a skill roll or checking against a threshold (only the former are generally called "Speech checks"). Rolls are virtually ubiquitous in Fallout while the latter are more prevalent in Fallout 2.
During dialog with characters, you may be presented with a Speech Challenge. A Speech Challenge is a response preceded by the word "[Speech XXX%]", 'XXX' being the percentage chance of success (e.g. [Speech 25%]). Speech Challenges open up additional possibilities in dialog with characters, such as getting them to reveal information they would otherwise keep hidden or pay larger sums of bottle caps for a task. Not every Speech Challenge will have the same chance of success, since some characters may be harder to persuade than others. If failed, a Speech Challenge cannot be repeated.
The percentage of success is determined by various factors. The primary factor is your Speech skill. The higher it is, the better the chance of success. Charisma itself has an effect on your percentage of success. A character with a 1 in Charisma and 100 in Speech will be less effective than one with a 10 in Charisma and a similar Speech level. Having a weapon drawn will have a slight effect on your possibility of success. Finally, succeeding in a Speech Challenge with a character will make future Speech Challenges with that character easier to pass, if applicable.
Certain Speech Challenges are not checked against your Speech skill, but against other factors. These can include your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. statistics, certain perks (Lady Killer/Black Widow, Child at Heart, etc.), or your Karma. In these cases, "[Speech]" will be replaced with the relevant item being checked against ([Strength], [Karma], [Toughness], etc.). Such checks will occasionally override normal Speech Challenges. Note that these options, unlike a Speech check, will automatically succeed since you have met the requirement. Karma is an exception, as being evil or good will influence the response.
Speech success chanceEdit
The precise chance of success appears to be Charisma Bonus * Speech Skill / Difficulty, where "difficulty" depends on the particular Speech Check, but not on game difficulty level. Thus, doubling your Speech skill doubles your chance of success, and Charisma gives a non-linear bonus according to this table:
Sample difficulties for early Speech Checks are 215 to convince Lucas Simms to increase your reward, 147 to convince Gob to give you information, and 111 to convince Jericho to talk to you. Thus a 5 Charisma, 50 Speech character has a 66 base ability, and has a 31%, 45%, and 60% chance with these checks respectively. Having a weapon raised increases the difficulty by about 10%, so with a weapon up the chances would be 28%, 41%, and 54%.
|Place (or closest map marker)||Location in place||Person||Point in conversation|
|Various||(See Fallout 3 random encounters)||Mel||Convince Mel to leave you alone OR convince him to take 5 caps and leave you alone|
|Various||(See Fallout 3 random encounters)||Ghoul wastelanders/slaves with refrigerator of purified water||Convince survivors to split their water with you|
|Various||(See Fallout 3 random encounters)||Scavenger offering Nuka-Cola Quantum for 100 caps||Convince the scavenger to sell the Nuka-Cola Quantum for 50 caps (note: has been spotted near Girdershade and also in the northwest region, south Fort Constantine)|
|Vault 101||Outside of classroom before taking G.O.A.T.||Butch DeLoria||Convince the Tunnel Snakes to leave Amata alone|
|Vault 101||During escape in hallway close to Butch's apartment||Butch DeLoria||Convince Butch DeLoria to run from the radroaches OR to return to the apartment and fight them himself (two different choices)|
|Vault 101||During Trouble on the Homefront sidequest||Overseer||Convince Overseer to step down|
|Springvale||Silver's Ranch||Silver||Convincing Silver to pay you 400 caps|
|Megaton||The Clinic||Doc Church||Learn about Leo's Drug Habit|
|Megaton||The Clinic||Doc Church||Ask about locating a Lipoplasticator or Micro Dermal Graftilizer. Note: Must activate Replicated Man quest first.|
|Craterside Supply||Moira Brown||Lie to Moira about scouting the Super-Duper Mart (Quest:Wasteland Survival Guide)|
|Megaton||Craterside Supply||Moira Brown||Convince Moira that writing the Wasteland Survival Guide is a bad idea. This will end the quest and give you the Dream Crusher perk.|
|Megaton||Craterside Supply||Moira Brown||Find any frag mine then lie to Moira about Minefield .|
|Megaton||Craterside Supply||Moira Brown||Lie to Moira about the mole rat repellant (Quest:Wasteland Survival Guide)|
|Megaton||Craterside Supply||Moira Brown||Ask her if she has info on the android. (Quest:The Replicated Man)|
|Megaton||Moriarty's Saloon||Colin Moriarty||Convincing Colin Moriarty to speak about dad|
|Megaton||Moriarty's Saloon or anywhere else you can find him||Jericho||Convincing Jericho to tell you what he knows about the Wasteland|
|Megaton||Moriarty's Saloon||Mister Burke||Convince Mister Burke to pay you 1000 caps for destroying the town|
|Megaton||anywhere you find him||Lucas Simms||Convince Lucas Simms to pay you 500 caps for disarming the bomb|
|Megaton||Moriarty's Saloon||Gob||Convince Gob to talk about your father|
|Megaton||Moriarty's Saloon||Nova||Convince Nova to tell you Moriarty's password|
|Megaton||The Brass Lantern, Water processing plant||Leo Stahl||Confront Leo Stahl about his drug problem|
|Grayditch||Outskirts of Grayditch||Bryan Wilks||Convince Bryan Wilks that everything will be fine|
|Grayditch||Outskirts of Grayditch||Bryan Wilks||Convince Bryan Wilks to give you the Grayditch dumpster key|
|Marigold station||Doctor Lesko's lab||Doctor Lesko||Convincing him to give his reward after killing the Marigold ant queen|
|Marigold station||Maintenance Room||Lug-Nut||Convince Lug-Nut to leave you with your naughty nightwear|
|Northwest Seneca station||Home of Murphy and Barrett||Murphy||Convince Murphy to pay you 30 caps for Sugar Bombs instead of 15|
|Meresti Metro station||Home of The Family||Robert||Convince Robert that you are ok|
|Meresti Metro station||Home of The Family||Vance||Convince Vance that you don't need further explanation|
|Meresti Metro station||Home of The Family||Vance||Convince Vance to give you the access code to speak to Ian West|
|Various||(See Fallout 3 random encounters)||Escaped Slaves/Wasteland Settlers||Convince Escaped Slaves/Wasteland Settlers to share half the water they found|
|Meresti Metro station||Home of The Family||Justin||Convince Justin to give you the access code to speak to Ian West|
|Meresti Metro station||Home of The Family||Ian West||Convince Ian West to go home|
|Meresti Metro station||Home of The Family||Vance||Convince Vance to leave Arefu alone|
|Canterbury Commons||Main street||Uncle Roe||Convince Uncle Roe to pay you 200 more caps for stopping the feud between AntAgonizer and the Mechanist|
|Canterbury Commons||AntAgonizer's lair||AntAgonizer||Convince AntAgonizer to abandon her life as a super-villain|
|Canterbury Commons||Robot Repair Center||Mechanist||Convince the Mechanist to abandon his life as a super-hero|
|Dukov's Place||Inside||Dukov||Ask for Dukov's special key for Mister Crowley during the quest You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head|
|Dukov's Place||Inside||Cherry||Convince her to follow you to Rivet City|
|Paradise Falls||Main entrance||Grouse||Everyone has a price...|
|Paradise Falls||Eulogy's Pad||Eulogy Jones||Convince him to sell the child slaves for 1200 caps instead of 2000 caps.|
|Paradise Falls||In front of Eulogy's Pad||Forty||Convince him he's being paid too little during the quest Rescue from Paradise|
|Paradise Falls||Inside the child slave house||Squirrel||Convince him and Sammy to leave without Penny|
|Paradise Falls||Inside the child slave house||Penny||Convince her to leave without Rory Maclaren(Note: This speech challenge is unavailable if you already convinced Squirrel and Sammy to leave without her)|
|Arefu||Guarding the entrance||Evan King||Asking why he is so scared|
|Big Town||Walking around or in a building||Red||Ask for 200 more caps (results in negative Karma)|
|Big Town||Walking around or in a building||Red||Ask about Lipoplasticator. (note: Part of quest The Replicated Man... also available from Dr. Preston in Rivet City)|
|Big Town||Walking around or in a building||Pappy||You came here with Bittercup. After speaking with Bittercup.|
|Big Town||The Clinic||Timebomb||"It wasn't free" After saving him.|
|Underworld||The Chop Shop||Doctor Barrows||Asking about Mister Crowley|
|Underworld||The Chop Shop||Doctor Barrows||Asking Doctor Barrows to wake Reilly|
|Underworld||The Chop Shop||Doctor Barrows||Convince Doctor Barrows to reveal information related to The Replicated Man without paying.|
|Underworld||Walking around main concourse||Patchwork||Convincing Patchwork to speak about Mister Crowley|
|Underworld||Walking around main concourse||Quinn||Convincing Quinn to speak about Mister Crowley|
|The Ninth Circle||Ahzrukhal||Convincing Ahzrukhal to speak about Mister Crowley|
|Underworld||Walking around main concourse||Winthrop||Asking Winthrop for information about The Replicated Man|
|Underworld||Walking around main concourse||Winthrop||Asking Winthrop for information about Mister Crowley|
|Underworld||Carol's Place (Across from The Ninth Circle)||Carol||Asking Carol for information about Mister Crowley|
|Underworld||Carol's Place (Across from The Ninth Circle)||Mister Crowley||Convince Crowley you killed Ted Strayer (if you did not) during You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head|
|Underworld||Carol's Place (Across from The Ninth Circle)||Mister Crowley||Convince Crowley you killed Dukov (if you did not) during You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head|
|Underworld||Carol's Place (Across from The Ninth Circle)||Mister Crowley||Convince Crowley you killed Dave (if you did not) during You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head|
|Underworld||Carol's Place (Across from The Ninth Circle)||Mister Crowley||Ask Crowley for directions to Fort Constantine after giving him the last key in You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head|
|GNR building plaza||Galaxy News Radio||Three Dog||Convince Three Dog to tell you about Dad without first helping him|
|Tenpenny Tower||Front Gate Intercom||Chief Gustavo||Tell him you have an offer for Mr. Tenpenny and convince him to let you in for free.|
|Tenpenny Tower||Inside Tenpenny Tower||Chief Gustavo||Convince Gustavo that clearing out the ghouls is worth more than 500 caps.|
|Tenpenny Tower||Inside Tenpenny Tower||Mr. & Mrs. Wellington||Convince Tenpenny to let the ghouls move in, Tenpenny Tower.|
|Tenpenny Tower||Inside Tenpenny Tower||Mr. Ling||Convince Tenpenny to let the ghouls move in, Tenpenny Tower.|
|Tenpenny Tower||Inside Tenpenny Tower||Ms. Montenegro||Convince Tenpenny to let the ghouls move in, Tenpenny Tower.|
|Tenpenny Tower||Inside Tenpenny Tower||Ms. Lancaster||Convince Tenpenny to let the ghouls move in, Tenpenny Tower.|
|Tenpenny Tower||Inside Tenpenny Tower||Security guard||The security guard on top of the Tenpenny Tower before the door to Mr. Tenpenny.|
|Oasis||Inside Oasis||Tree Father Birch||Ask who is requesting to see you.|
|Oasis||Inside Oasis||Branchtender Linden||Ask how he came to be at Oasis.|
|Oasis||Inside Oasis||Sapling Yew||Ask what Harold is afraid of.|
|Ranger compound||Inside the compound||Reilly||Offer to assist with collecting mapping data after completing Reilly's Rangers.|
|Republic of Dave||Capitol Building||Dave||Tell him you are an ambassador from the wastelands|
|Republic of Dave||Capitol Building||Dave||Ask for the key for Mr. Crowley during "You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head" (quest)|
|Republic of Dave||Republic of Dave||Bob||Talk Bob into running for President|
|Republic of Dave||Republic of Dave||Rosie||Talk Rosie into running for President|
|Republic of Dave||Republic of Dave||Shawna||Convince Shawna that you have "Dave Relics" for the museum (she'll buy anything you want to sell if successful)|
|Temple of the Union||Somewhere inside the building||Hannibal Hamlin||During the quest Lincoln's Profit Margins(optional quest) you can sell the items to him for a speech check each time with an increasing difficulty. Note you can then pickpocket them back off him, but can only re-sell the hat back, and if you already did the speech check there will not be another speech check."|
|Lincoln Memorial||In the side Door on the left of the main stairs||Leroy Walker||During the quest Lincoln's Profit Margins(optional quest) you can sell the items to him for a speech check each time with an increasing difficulty. The speech check will be there even if you already did it to Hannibal.|
|Rivet City||Rivet City science lab||Madison Li||Convince Dr. Li to help you (gives you five stimpaks)|
|Rivet City||In Rivet City||Ted Strayer||Ask for the key for Mister Crowley during "You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head" (quest)|
|Rivet City||In Mid Deck||Abraham Washington||During the quest Lincoln's Profit Margins(optional quest) you can sell the items to him for a speech check each time with an increasing difficulty. Note that if you already did the speech check and sold the items to Hannibal then pickpocketed them back, there will not be another speech check."|
|Rivet City||In Rivet City||James Hargrave||Convince him to run away from home (Note: Results in Karma loss, part of unmarked quest The Runaways)|
|Rivet City||Bridge tower||Private Jones||Convince Private Jones of an incident on the Flight Deck (gets him out of the room, possibly to raid armory)|
|Rivet City||Weatherly Hotel||Vera Weatherly||Ask her about rumors (Note: Can be done at least three times. Possibly automatic chance for success on each.)|
|Rivet City||Rivet City Marketplace||Bannon||Ask about the history of Rivet City (Note: Possibly automatic chance for success)|
|Rivet City||Top of Bridge Tower||Mister Lopez||Convince him to not commit suicide by jumping off the tower|
|Rivet City||Capitol Preservation Society||Abraham Washington||Ask him how he knows so much about the Declaration of Independence|
|Agatha's house||Agatha's house||Agatha||Convince Agatha that finding the Soil Stradivarius is worth a reward|
|National Archives||National Archives Strongroom||Button Gwinnett||Convince him that you are Thomas Jefferson there to retrieve the Declaration of Independence|
|Girdershade||Outside Sierra Petrovita's shack||Ronald Laren||Convince Ronald to pay extra caps for the naughty nightwear (note: unmarked quest Grady's Package)|
|Girdershade||Outside Sierra Petrovita's shack||Ronald Laren||After accepting The Nuka-Cola Challenge from Sierra, convince Ronald Laren to pay double for the Nuka-Cola Quantum|
|Girdershade||Inside Sierra Petrovita 's shack||Sierra Petrovita||Convince Sierra to give you The Nuka-Cola Challenge without taking her tour.|
|Girdershade||Inside Sierra Petrovita 's shack||Sierra Petrovita||Convince Sierra to tell you the secret prize for completing The Nuka-Cola Challenge before accepting it.|
|Nuka-Cola plant||Factory Floor||Milo, shipping foreman||Convince Milo you are a factory employee|
|Red Racer factory||Outside front door||Goalie Ledoux||Convince Goalie Ledoux to pay you 400 caps for the Nuka-Cola Clear formula (only during The Nuka-Cola Challenge)|
|Tranquility Lane||Neusbaum Residence or Lemonade stand outside||Timmy Neusbaum||Convince Timmy that his parents are getting a divorce, thus making him cry for Betty|
|Tranquility Lane||Rockwell Residence||Janet Rockwell||Convince Mrs. Rockwell that her husband is cheating. This will break up their marriage for Betty|
|Little Lamplight||Front Gate area||Mayor MacCready||Convince the Mayor to let you into Little Lamplight for the first time|
|Little Lamplight||roaming||Mayor MacCready||After speaking to Eclair or Lucy about possible cave fungus trade, convince the Mayor (via threats) to give you his own supply (note: negative Karma, MacCready also warns not to expect any more 'good will' from Little Lamplight, unconfirmed what this entails.)|
|Little Lamplight||Front Gate area||Knock Knock||Convince Knock Knock that her joke was funny (Note: can do this challenge over and over again)|
|Little Lamplight||Murder Pass Gate area or roaming||Sammy||After Princess refuses to tell you how she got her nickname, convince Sammy to reveal the details. (note: Sammy is one of the children rescued from Paradise Falls in Rescue from Paradise)|
|Little Lamplight||Front Gate||Sticky||After accepting to escort him to Big Town get Sticky to shut up.|
|Raven Rock||Area 3B-right outside your cell||Enclave officer||Convince the guard that President Eden allowed you to leave your cell|
|Raven Rock||Area 1A||President Eden||Convince him to destroy himself|
|Citadel||Citadel laboratory||Knight Captain Gallows||Ask him his real name|
|Citadel||Citadel laboratory||Knight Captain Dusk||Insult her and then speak to her again to make up for it|
|Jefferson Memorial||Rotunda||Colonel Autumn||Convince him to give up (You will encounter this speech check regardless of whether or not you destroyed Raven Rock.)|
|Jefferson Memorial||Rotunda||Colonel Autumn||Convince him to walk away|
|Jefferson Memorial||Taft Tunnel||Dr. Madison Li||Convince her to give Garza Buffout instead of stimpaks|
|Jefferson Memorial||Taft Tunnel||Dr. Madison Li||Convince her that Garza should be left behind|
|Outcast Outpost||Stairs||Defender Morrill||Convince him that you're an Outcast and outrank him (Only works while wearing Outcast power armor)|
|Operation: Anchorage||Simulation||General Jingwei||Convince General Jingwei to surrender.|
|Operation: Anchorage||Simulation||Quartermaster||Along with your requested gear you will also receive a scoped Gauss rifle|
|The Pitt||The Mill||Brand||Ask what he wants.|
|The Pitt||Train tunnel||Ramsey||Convince him that you are the guy from The Pitt.|
|Broken Steel||Underworld||Griffon||Convince him that you won't tell anything, if he cuts the share 50/50.|
|Broken Steel||Holy Light Monastery||Mother Curie III||Convince her that she should stop with the holy water.|
|Mothership Zeta||Cryo lab||Elliott Tercorien||Convince him to leave without waking up other members of his squad.|
|Point Lookout||Herzog Mine||Kenny||Convince him to let you stay.|
In addition to counting towards the Silver-Tongued Devil achievement, successful Speech Challenges in Fallout 3 can yield the player any number of benefits though experience is always rewarded for a successful Speech check and is influenced by Well Rested status and the Swift Learner perk. Other rewards may include: a significant increase in caps for completing quests, keys or passwords, Karma, additional items, or even the chance to peacefully resolve some quests without the need for violence.
Unlike Barter (which will affect a great many transactions in the game), Speech skill will only affect specific dialogue options for the non-player character's that present speech challenges in the game. Putting a large number of skill points into Speech, or selecting it as a Tag Skill assures that your character will be very, very adept with a fairly uncommon occurrence in the game mechanics.
With Speech challenges, you only have one chance. Since even a high Speech skill will not guarantee success on harder speech challenges (it will guarantee it on easier challenges, however, as long as 100% is displayed), if you're serious about succeeding in a Speech challenge, you're probably going to be careful enough to save the game before rolling the dice anyway. Using this strategy, a higher Speech skill will only increase your probability of success, which translates to fewer game reloads until you succeed. Considering this, spending ten points to increase from a Speech of 30 to a Speech of 40 is likely to be completely unnoticeable in actual practice.
It is not difficult to save the game right before initiating dialogue with most non-player characters in the game. In circumstances where a non-player character will initiate conversations with you that can include speech challenges (such as Bryan Wilks, Lug-Nut, or Goalie Ledoux), these non-player characters will only appear under predictable circumstances (nearing Grayditch, obtaining the naughty nightwear, or arriving at the Red Racer factory); thus, saving the game just before encountering these non-player characters will allow you to use the same strategy listed above. For non-player characters who can present multiple Speech Challenges—such as Bryan Wilks or Vance—it is possible to choose the option to stop speaking to them after succeeding in the first Speech Challenge, save the game, and then talk to them again to attempt the second Speech Challenge.
Ways to increase SpeechEdit
- Leveling up (10+INT (+3 with Educated perk))
- Bobblehead - Speech (+10)
- Lying, Congressional Style (+1 or +2 with Comprehension)
- Paradise Lost (+1 or +2 with Comprehension)
- Survival Expert (+2, 4 or 6)
- Scoundrel (+5 with each rank)
- Tag! (+15)
- Yew's bear charm (+10)
Note: Only items adding +5 or more are included.
- Impartial Mediation (+30 with neutral Karma)
- Ant queen pheromones (+2-6 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Grape Mentats (+2-10 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Pre-War businesswear (+5, includes "Dirty" and "Grimy")
- Naughty nightwear (+10)
- Button's wig (+10)
- Lincoln's hat (+5)
- General Chase's overcoat (+5)
- Paulson's outfit (+5)
Fallout: New VegasEdit
Speech no longer has a '%' chance of working as in Fallout 3. It now works 100% of the time if you have the right Speech skill, which makes it impossible to save and load to bypass speech challenges. A Speech challenge beyond the player's ability will usually have one dialogue option, and another when it is within the player's ability. Speech is an extremely useful skill in New Vegas, since it can frequently allow the player to avoid fights or accomplish quests more easily.
Speech in quests and explorationEdit
- 15, 30 and 45 Speech in lieu of Benny's evidence to convince Swank to give you your weapons back at The Tops for the confrontation with Benny.
- 20 Speech to get Joe Cobb to tell you what he did to land himself in prison.
- 25 Speech to convince Trudy to join the fight in Ghost Town Gunfight.
- 25, 50 and 75 Speech to trick Karl into losing his cool in front of Papa Khan during the quest Oh My Papa.
- 25 Speech to convince Deputy Beagle in Primm to stay and fight with you after you release him.
- 25 Speech to convince Angela Williams to tell the character her opinion about Thomas Hildern.
- 25 Speech to convince Private Ortega to tell you about the "ungrateful" farmers at the NCR Sharecropper Farms.
- 25 Speech to convince Milo to start the mission Back in Your Own Backyard. Failing this initial check will make subsequent attempts require 45 Speech.
- 30 Speech or 30 Medicine to convince Doc Mitchell to give you three stimpaks before initially leaving his house. Passing both will result in five stimpaks rather than three, Speech will always be the second choice (worth two).
- 30 Speech to convince Chavez to move on in I Fought the Law.
- 30 Speech to convince Comm Officer Lenk to share her story.
- 30 Speech or 6 Intelligence to convince the suspicious merchant at Jean Sky Diving to reveal himself for I Fought the Law.
- 30 Speech to convince Johnson Nash to give up information for I Fought the Law for free.
- 30 Speech or pay 200 caps to convince Major Knight at the Mojave Outpost to pardon Meyers for the quest My Kind of Town.
- 30 Speech to convince Mick to sell you his special weapons at Mick & Ralph's.
- 30 Speech to convince Haggerty to allow you into HELIOS One.
- 38 Speech to convince Ted Gunderson that it was not the White-Gloves that captured him in Beyond the Beef.
- 40 Speech to convince Deputy Beagle in Primm to give you the information before you release him.
- 40 Speech to convince each of the Misfits to be more of a "team player" in Flags of Our Foul-Ups.
- 40 Speech to convince Jane in Freeside to give something else of value towards her debt in quest Debt Collector.
- 40 Speech to convince Thomas Hildern to improve the offered reward in There Stands the Grass. (available after talking to Dr. Williams and returning to confront Hildern)
- 40 Speech to convince Philip Lem to join the Great Khans during Why Can't We Be Friends?.
- 41 Speech to convince Boone to tell you who he's on the lookout for.
- 45 Speech to convince Jessup to release the hostages in Boulder City.
- 45 Speech to convince Carlyle St. Clair III that the White Glove Society can clean his name in Beyond the Beef.
- 45 Speech to convince Crandon to give the information which begins Someone to Watch Over Me.
- 45 Speech to convince Squatter Bill and his group to leave in Someone to Watch Over Me.
- 50 Speech to convince Neil to help you kill Tabitha in Crazy, Crazy, Crazy.
- 50 Speech to convince Tomas to get rid of his necklace.
- 50 Speech to convince Joana you have what it takes to have sex with her, which follows into another Speech challenge of 75 in order for her to lead you to her room and commit the deed.
- 50 Speech or the Black Widow perk to convince Chris Haversam that he's human in Come Fly With Me. (No caps req. with the perk)
- 50 Speech or the Lady Killer perk to obtain thrust controllers for 250 caps from Old Lady Gibson for Come Fly With Me.
- 50 Speech to convince Ralph to craft you a counterfeit passport for The Strip at a cost of 500 caps.
- 50 Speech to get away with killing Caesar with the autodoc during Et Tumor, Brute? (as an alternative to 50 Medicine or positive Legion reputation)
- 50 Speech to convince Pearl to give Janet a free pass into Nellis Air Force Base in Young Hearts.
- 50 Speech to get Loyal to give you the sonic emitter in Ant Misbehavin'.
- 53 Speech to convice Big Sal to release Troike from his contract.
- 55 Speech to get the Think tanks to realize that you are aware of their conversation. Old World Blues (add-on).
- 55 Speech to get a human flesh alternative from Philippe in Beyond the Beef.
- 55 Speech to lie to Raquel about clearing out the ants in Ant Misbehavin'.
- 60 Speech to convince Keith to show you how he's cheating at Caravan.
- 60 Speech to convince Pacer to let you see the King for free.
- 60 Speech to convince Private Stone to turn himself in during the Medical Mystery quest.
- 60 Speech to convince Benny to head immediately to The Tops presidential suite without his bodyguards.
- 60 Speech to lie and convince Private Edwards to leave the Camp Searchlight house he is holding out in by saying that all the radscorpions are gone.
- 60 Speech to gain Jack's trust in Oh My Papa.
- 62 Speech to convince Mortimer to choose the cannibal side in Beyond the Beef.
- 64 Speech to convince all Fiends inside of Vault 3 that you are a Great Khan carrier so they will not attack you.
- 65 Speech to convince the gambler to a weapons check while guarding the front of the Silver Rush during Birds of a Feather.
- 65 Speech to convince Norton outside of Jacobstown to leave the mutants alone in the quest Unfriendly Persuasion.
- 65 Speech or 45 Medicine to convince Caesar to let you operate him in "Et Tumor, Brute?"
- 65 Speech to ask Dog/God "Why did you put emphasis on the word "Master" before?" after freeing him from the jail. Dead Money
- 65 Speech to convince Carlyle St. Clair III to go to the Ultra-Luxe in Beyond the Beef.
- 65 Speech to talk Greasy Johnny out of starting trouble in Someone to Watch Over Me.
- 66 Speech to convince Jack in the Red Rock Drug Lab to make medicinal chems.
- 70 Speech to make Troike plant the thermite in the Gomorrah himself in How Little We Know, giving you bad Karma.
- 75 Speech to make Dog or God take over in the Dead Money DLC quest Put the Beast Down.
- 75 Speech to convince the Strange Man during the Birds of a Feather quest to pay you for running chems.
- 75 Speech or the Confirmed Bachelor perk to convince Arcade Gannon to be your companion.
- 75 Speech to convince Alice McLafferty to give Janet her wages.
- 75 Speech to cause Tabitha to order the nightkin under her command to attack the super mutants at Black Mountain when activating a radio during Crazy, Crazy, Crazy.
- 80 Speech to convince Keene for not taking the Stealth Boy Mk2 in the quest Guess Who I Saw Today.
- 80 Speech to convince Isaac that the Gun Runners can use refurbished weapons while Dealing with Contreras.
- 80 Speech to convince Orion Moreno to stay with the Remnants and fight for the NCR during the quest For Auld Lang Syne.
- 80 Speech or good Karma to convince Legate Lanius to fight you one-on-one.
- 80 Speech in order to convince Hector to tell you what he knows about Corporal White during the quest The White Wash.
- 80 Speech to convince Cachino to take care of Big Sal and Nero in How Little We Know.
- 80 Speech to lie to Troike about telling the NCR of his dealing in the Gomorrah in How Little We Know, giving you bad Karma.
- 80 to convince Big Sal that Nero was plotting against him in How Little We Know.
- 85 Speech to avoid combat at the conclusion of Bye Bye Love by convincing your pursuers that Joana's escape is part of a secret deal between Carlitos and the Omertas.
- 85 Speech to say Dog/God "You want to protect Dog..." after freeing him from the jail. Dead Money
- 85 Speech to convince Dog/God to merge personalities in the Dead Money DLC quest Put the Beast Down.
- 90 Speech to convince Joshua Graham not to kill Salt-Upon-Wounds during the end of Crush the White Legs.
- 95 Speech to talk your way out of combat after bringing back the objective in I Could Make You Care and then leaving the Brotherhood of Steel base.
- 100 Speech to convince Lee Oliver to leave Hoover Dam without fighting you during the quest Veni, Vidi, Vici.
- 100 Speech to convince Legate Lanius to leave Hoover Dam without fighting you.
- 100 Speech may be needed to convince Ulysses to fight with (instead of against) you in the conclusion of Lonesome Road.
Ways to increase SpeechEdit
- Leveling up (+15 or +17 with Educated)
- Lying, Congressional Style (+3 or 4 with Comprehension)
- Empathy Synthesizer (+2 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Tag! (+15)
- Good Natured (+5)
- Skilled (+5)
- Complete the Lonesome Road DLC.
- Meeting People (+10 or 20 with Comprehension)
- Mentats (+2 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Party Time Mentats (+2-10 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit, can be stacked with Mentats)
- Absinthe/Beer/Irradiated beer/Jake Juice/Scotch/Irradiated Scotch/Vodka/Whiskey/Irradiated whiskey/Wine (+2 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Eating an NPC after the perk Meat of Champions is acquired using the Cannibal perk (+2 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit; potentially +3 if current Luck is even and not 10.)
- Sexy sleepwear (+2 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- T-51b power armor helmet (+2 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Daniel's hat (+5) Honest Hearts
- Sheriff's duster (+2 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Bounty hunter duster (+2 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Regulator duster (+2 depending on current Charisma, a perfect Charisma of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Vault jumpsuit (+2)
- Benny's suit (+5)
- Caesar's armor (+5)
- Dean's tuxedo (+5)
- President Kimball's suit (+5)
- Pre-War businesswear (+5)
- Vera's outfit (+5)
- Naughty nightwear (+10) (potentially +11 if current Luck is even and not 10)
- US Army General outfit (+10) Lonesome Road (add-on)