The use, care and general knowledge of small firearms - pistols, SMGs and rifles.”— In-game description
Example: A starting Agility of 5.
Small Guns are the staple weapons of choice for the post apocalyptic nuclear war survivor. Although small guns lack the wide devastation possible with Big Guns and Energy Weapons, they are more than capable of holding their own in a fight. Small Guns, unlike Big Guns or Energy Weapons, can be quickly trained with books and is naturally high to begin with. Ammunition is also plentiful and can usually be bought or looted from containers and bodies.
The small guns character can easily exploit these advantages by building a gunfighter or sniper character. There are several perks available that directly increase this skill, the most powerful being "Sniper".
Also, some of the most unique and powerful weapons (read: Red Ryder LE BB gun) are available for those who specialize in small guns.
Fallout 2 and Fallout TacticsEdit
Example: A starting Agility of 5.
As with Fallout, Small Guns operates in much the same way in Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.
- Fallout 2
- Fallout Tactics
In general, the Small Guns skill raises the players accuracy and/or damage with any weapon that is affected by the skill. The higher the Small Guns skill, the lower the projectile spread, and the more stable scoped weapons such as the sniper rifle or the scoped .44 magnum will be when aiming through the scope. At 100 points, scoped-weapons have no sway at all; however, having either arm crippled will still result in a severe sway while using the scope.
On average, increasing Small Guns by 5 points will increase Small Gun weapon damage by ~3.5%. There is also a diminishing margin of return. In general, increasing Small Guns from 5 to 10 will increase weapon damage more than increasing it from 95 to 100.
Perks that require Small Guns skillEdit
|Concentrated Fire||60||18||Energy Weapons 60|
Perks that improve V.A.T.S. accuracy:
- Gunslinger improves V.A.T.S. accuracy for pistols (or similar one-handed weapons).
- Commando improves V.A.T.S. accuracy for rifles (or similar two-handed weapons).
- Sniper improves V.A.T.S. accuracy when targeting the head.
- Wired Reflexes improves V.A.T.S. accuracy for all weapons by 10%.
- Concentrated Fire increases V.A.T.S. accuracy against a body part by +5% each time it is targeted.
Perks that improve damage:
- Black Widow improves damage by 10% vs. male humans/ghouls.
- Lady Killer improves damage by 10% vs. female humans/ghouls.
- Entomologist improves damage by 50% vs. insects.
- Robotics Expert improves damage by 25% vs. robots.
- Bloody Mess improves damage by 5% against all targets.
- Finesse increases the chance of getting a critical hit by the equivalent of 5 points in Luck.
- Better Criticals increases the damage of critical hits by 50%.
- Survival Expert increases the chance of a critical hit by 1, 2 or 3%.
- Ghoul Ecology improves damage by +5 against ghouls (bugged and affects all targets).
- Superior Defender improves damage by +5 when standing still.
Consumables that improve damage:
Interactions that require Small Guns skillEdit
- An undisclosed amount is required to fix Pek's weapon in the unmarked quest The Lost Initiate - although the Repair skill and Gun Nut perk will also work.
- Small Guns 50 is required to teach the citizens of Big Town how to use conventional firearms during the quest Big Trouble in Big Town. This is only one of several ways to complete this section, however.
Ways to increase Small GunsEdit
- Leveling up (10+INT (+3 by Educated perk))
- Bobblehead - Small Guns (+10)
- Guns and Bullets (+1 or +2 with Comprehension)
- Gun Nut (+5 with each rank, max 3 ranks)
- Operation: Anchorage (add-on) Covert Ops (+3)
- Tag! (+15)
- Fire ant nectar (+2-8 depending on Agility, a perfect Agility of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Armored Vault 101 jumpsuit (+5)
- Security uniform (includes Rivet City and Tenpenny Tower) (+5)
- Ranger battle armor (+10)
- Wanderer's leather armor (+10)
- Colonel Autumn's uniform (+5)
- Dirty Chinese jumpsuit (+5)
- Red's jumpsuit (+5)
- Regulator duster (+5)
- Sheriff's duster (+5)
- Vance's longcoat outfit (+10)
- The Pitt (add-on) Hat of the People (+5)
- Mothership Zeta (add-on) General Chase's overcoat (+10)
- Mothership Zeta (add-on)Paulson's outfit (+10)
- Point Lookout (add-on) Desmond's eyeglasses (+5)
- Point Lookout (add-on) Grifter's Fit (+5)
- Common raider and super mutant small guns such as the hunting rifle, assault rifle and Chinese assault rifle are also efficient weapons that you can reliably keep in good condition for the entire game. Small Guns could be considered the best and most useful gun class in the game as they are very diverse, common and powerful.
- The higher the small guns skill, the lower the projectile spread of small guns, and the more stable scoped weapons such as the sniper rifle or the scoped .44 magnum will be when aiming through the scope. At 100 points in Small Guns, scoped-weapons have no sway at all; however, having either arm crippled will still result in severe sway while using the scope.
- Unlike the Gauss rifle from previous Fallout games, the Gauss rifle found in the Operation : Anchorage DLC is affected by the energy weapons skill instead of the small guns skill.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, it was merged into a more general Guns skill with Big Guns, similar to the canceled Van Buren, which would have merged the skills into the Firearms skill.
Small Guns listEdit
- See Fallout 3 weapons.