This airliner was on approach to Boston Airport on the morning of the Great War. When Boston was struck with nuclear weapons, the plane lost power to its engines, likely due to EMP interference. The nuclear shockwave resulted in intense turbulence, causing the plane to fracture and split into large chunks upon crash-landing. Nick Valentine notes that it appears that the plane struck the elevated freeway during the crash.
The aircraft was a flying wing design with a vertical stabilizer on each wing. There was a glass dome at the tail cone likely for navigation purposes. The fuselage also housed seating as well as a cargo bay above and beneath the cabin floor. Its wingspan is so enormous that the wings themselves contain seats. The plane appears to have been powered by giant engine clusters with 5 turbojet intakes.
The main body of the aircraft is in a gulch between two rocky bluffs. The plane seems to have broken apart into 5 main pieces: The two wings and three fuselage sections.
The cockpit section's lower area consists of cargo and baggage areas. The cockpit section is accessible by some debris on the left side through a hole in the hull, the Sole Survivor can gain access to the passenger compartment. The left and right wing of the plane are entirely snapped off.
If the miscellaneous quest Meet Ness at the Crash Site is active, this is the site of the secret compartment Ness wishes to liberate from raiders.
This area may spawn two random opposing factions, which may attack the player character if they have a negative standing with any of them. Although, this area may also spawn hostile scavengers, raiders, super mutants and Children of Atom. The factions will respawn randomly every few days, as will the loot containers.
A Gunner outpost can be found on the collapsed highway southwest of the crash site.
- Astoundingly Awesome Tales #6 in the bathroom (on top of the back of the toilet) under the cockpit.
- Skylanes Flight 1981 recording in the cockpit. Added with picking up the flight data recorder (left to the seating, looks like a bright orange globe).
- Skylanes smuggling manifest located in a Master-locked safe called "hidden compartment" in the cargo section under the cockpit. The hidden compartment also contains an important amount of chems, weapons, ammo and cash.
- Codsworth will comment "Unfortunate. The passengers could have easily survived this crash. Not so sure about the fallout," upon seeing the wreck.
- Preston Garvey will comment "Look at that... Must have been in the air when the war started. What a way to go," upon seeing the wreck.
- Paladin Danse will comment "This plane is amazingly intact. The pilot must have executed an impressive landing," upon seeing the wreck.
- Piper will comment "Can't believe the shape this thing is in," upon seeing the wreck.
- Nick Valentine will comment "No blast burns on the plane. Plenty of foreign rubble nearby. The nukes didn't take this down. That highway did," upon seeing the wreck.
- Hancock will comment "How the hell did something this big stay airborne?" upon seeing the wreck.
- MacCready will comment "I can't believe this airliner was stupid enough to be flying during the war," upon seeing the wreck.
- Cait will comment "I'm bettin' we pry some good salvage out of this wreck... if the Raiders haven't gotten to it first," upon seeing the wreck.
- Curie will comment "Surely there is a working airplane somewhere. To study the world from above would be very illuminating," upon seeing the wreck.
- Deacon will comment "And those things flew in the air? No thanks," upon seeing the wreck.
- X6-88 will comment "I can't think of a worse way to die," upon seeing the wreck.
- Strong does not have a comment upon seeing the wreck.
- Nearby on the broken bridge with a steep incline there is a Gunners camp.
- If this location is visited after completing Reunions, The Brotherhood of Steel may occupy this place after killing super mutants.
- If the secret compartment is looted without first taking the misc quest from Ness, one can inform her that it has already been found. She will be surprised and continue on her way, which doesn't allow completion of her misc quests.
- When playing the recording, the pilot says "Flight 1891" instead of 1981, despite saying it correctly moments before.
The Skylanes Flight 1981 appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Nuclear bombs can interfere with the ionosphere, creating EMP interference. This is most likely the reason the airliner (and at least 2 more found in the eastern most ocean) crashed, as an EMP can cause electronics to short out or fry them completely.
- The Skylanes Flight 1981 recording first refers to the flight in the correct terminology, but refers to the flight incorrectly as Skylanes Flight 1891 later in the recording.
- The airliner's wings resemble a proposed but never built variant of Northrop Grumman's 1947 YB-49 flying wing. Both share the same long swept wings, with eight in wing turbojets as well as similar vertical stabilizer shape. The proposed civil variant has the same unusual oblong windows on the wing's leading edge and in wing seating. However, all flying wing designs have blended wings and no distinct fuselage which Flight 1981 has. A nuclear powered variant was actually in the works at the time, but never flew. There are several egregious errors and issues depicted in the crashed plane, the most obvious being the length where the wings were torn from the fuselage is nearly twice as long as the root chord of the wing. And of course casual inspection inside the wing passenger compartments reveal bare framing and no insulation or dampening material. The passengers that survived a trip would most certainly be deaf and near frozen.
- The quad mounted engines are consistent with USAF experiments with nuclear powered turbojets in the 50's where the engines had to be close to the reactors to use the heat generated to expand the intake air.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|