“With this perk, your precision with a scattergun is something to behold. When using shotguns, regardless of ammunition used, you ignore an additional 10 points of a target's Damage Threshold.”
This perk affects the following weapons:
- Caravan shotgun
- Hunting shotgun
- Lever-action shotgun
- Riot shotgun
- Sawed-off shotgun
- Single shotgun
- The reduction in Damage Threshold is applied individually to each pellet fired from a shotgun, rather than to the damage done by the weapon as a whole.
- This counteracts to some extent one of the New Vegas game mechanics that drastically lower the effectiveness of multi-projectile attacks against targets with even a low DT, as the latter is counted against each and every single low-damage projectile.
- 12 gauge flechette rounds, when combined with this perk, will result in a -16 DT effect, using magnum rounds or coin shot will result in -12 DT.
- Using single-projectile ammunition (e.g. 12 gauge slug ammunition) against targets with substantially more than 10 DT becomes very effective, due to DT being applied only once and lowered at that. Similarly, this perk makes 4/0 Buck (12 gauge) or 3/0 Buck (20 gauge) rounds from Gun Runners' Arsenal more effective as they only contain four projectiles per shot, as opposed to the standard seven.
- Works well in combination with the Dead Money perk And Stay Back, for added potential knock-down effect to the same attack.
- Rose of Sharon Cassidy is given a special companion-only perk, functionally identical to Shotgun Surgeon, whenever she is serving as an active companion.
- As with the perk And Stay Back, this perk does not affect the sturdy caravan shotgun.