With this perk, your precision with a scattergun is something to behold. When using shotguns, regardless of ammunition used, you ignore an additional 10 points of a target's Damage Threshold.”
This perk affects the following weapons:
- Caravan shotgun
- Hunting shotgun
- Lever-action shotgun
- Riot shotgun
- Sawed-off shotgun
- Single shotgun
- Energy scattershot weapons, such as the tri-beam laser rifle and multiplas rifle, are not affected by this perk.
- The reduction in Damage Threshold is applied individually to each pellet fired from a shotgun, rather than to the damage done by the weapon as a whole.
- This counteracts to some extent one of the New Vegas game mechanics that drastically lower the effectiveness of multi-projectile attacks against targets with even a low DT, as the latter is counted against each and every single low-damage projectile.
- 12 gauge flechette rounds, when combined with this perk, will result in a -16 DT effect, using magnum rounds or coin shot will result in -12 DT.
- Using single-projectile ammunition (e.g. 12 gauge slug ammunition) against targets with substantially more than 10 DT becomes very effective, due to DT being applied only once and lowered at that.
- Works well in combination with the Dead Money perk And Stay Back, for added potential knock-down effect to the same attack.
- Rose of Sharon Cassidy is given a special companion-only perk, functionally identical to Shotgun Surgeon, whenever she is serving as an active companion.
- As with the perk And Stay Back, this perk does not affect the sturdy caravan shotgun.