The sheriff's duster and sheriff's hat are pieces of clothing in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. The duster provides bonuses of 1 to Charisma and 5 to Small Guns (5 to Guns in Fallout: New Vegas). The hat also provides +1 Perception.
In Fallout 3, the duster and hat can be found on the body of Lucas Simms. They are easily obtained by letting Mister Burke kill him in The Power of the Atom. The hat can also be acquired from Sonora Cruz by pickpocketing if you have the Lawbringer perk.
In Fallout: New Vegas, the outfit can be obtained from the town of Primm, inside the Sheriff's office. The duster will disappear after the My Kind of Town quest. Other hats can be found on Freeside thugs from time to time. On close inspection the badge on the sheriff's duster from Primm still reads "Megaton" (the town over which Sheriff Lucas Simms presides in Fallout 3). This is probably an oversight.
- On the Lonesome Drifter east of El Dorado Gas & Service.
- Primm, inside the Sheriff's shack, at the foot of the bed next to the sheriff's duster.
- Occasionally found on Freeside thugs in full conditions.
- Dusty McBride in Novac wears one.
Non-player character reactionsEdit
If your character is wearing the sheriff's duster, some residents of Megaton will occasionally comment about it when they see you:
- Jericho will say "That badge don't impress me, kid."
- Harden Simms isn't impressed either and says: "You might wear his badge, but you're not my dad."
- Colin Moriarty comments that "You got a lot of nerve wearing that badge in here."
Other non-player characters treat you as de facto sheriff:
- Confessor Cromwell says "Light shine upon you, Sheriff."
- Billy Creel asks "What can I do for you, Sheriff?"
- Andy Stahl is annoyed but will ask "Can I help you, Sheriff?"
- ps3 xbox360 The sheriff's duster can still be found occasionally, even after completing the My Kind of Town quest as it sits on the floor in front of the bed with the hat and a wastelander's settlers outfit adjacent to it inside the sheriff's shack. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 If you are carrying a Sherrif's hat, others that you pick up will not appear in your inventory. [verified]
- xbox360 In Fallout: New Vegas, sometimes, when worn with a set of T-51b power armor in your inventory, the game will act as if the T-51b power armor is equipped, providing the same stat bonuses and damage resistance. This can happen even without power armor training. Whether this is a bug with the T-51b power armor for the Sheriffs Duster is unclear. It is also unclear if it works in Fallout 3. [verified]