The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
Prior to the Great War, students at Shaw High School were receiving very low test scores. Ronald Tanner, a failed Vault-Tec salesman and current principal of Shaw High School, devised a plan to raise test scores by smuggling Mentats into the school and coercing delinquent students to distribute them to the student body in secret.
Principal Tanner believed that if he could raise test scores then the school district would increase the funding to the school, most of which he would then keep for himself. Tanner decided to use a delinquent student by the name of Rusty Burton to distribute the Mentats initially in exchange for a longer lunch period. Rusty later caught wind of Principal Tanner's full plan (due to an intelligence increase from taking them himself) and sought to blackmail him in exchange for half of the embezzled money.
The office to the west has an Expert-locked door that leads to the principal's office which contains his terminal and a Master-locked closet. Further west the way is blocked by debris, so the only other room to navigate is the cafeteria. The cafeteria may house a mutant hound and his super mutant buddy, and leads to either the cafeteria basement or to the west hallway. The west hallway leads to stairs taking the Sole Survivor to the 2nd floor.
Back to the north hallway, it has multiple rooms to the east - a science lab with chemistry workstation and a classroom which connects to a kitchen. At the end of the hallway are stairs leading to the 2nd floor.
From the northwest staircase, the Sole Survivor starts on a small landing leading to a room with a super mutant patrolling. To the south is a long walkway leading to some classrooms with terminals and eventually a closet at the southern end. To the east lies the rest of the upstairs.
From the super mutant room there is a kitchen to the south and then a cafeteria overlook to the east. From the overlook, the Sole Survivor can go further east to find the stairs leading back down or a couple of classrooms, the northern one of which contains Rusty's lunchbox.
To the north is a Master-locked door (the key can be found in the principal's office or in Rusty's lunchbox) which leads to the library. Be prepared for a turret downstairs, as well as some traps and landmines. The library connects to two rooms to the west - the southern room is Novice-locked. The northern room is open and has the mini-boss for the building, as well as a steamer trunk with leveled loot and an armor workstation.
- Property of R. Burton holotape - At the Novice locked room behind the book return machine, at the library.
- Unstoppables issue #1 - In the northwest room of the school library. Go down the north corridor, up the stairs and turn right and the library is on the right.
- Principal's office key can be found in Rusty's lunchbox, located in a classroom on the second floor, east on the local map. Opens Tanner's office as well as his desk.
- If the Sole Survivor is unable to pick Master locks, the Library key can be found in Principal Tanner's desk, directly west of the main entrance behind an Expert locked door.
- The school is an excellent source of Mentats, as a minimum of 26 boxes can be found throughout the location, 13 of which are in the locked closet in the principal's office.
- Several Vault-Tec lunchboxes in the cafeteria in the center of the building and surrounding classrooms. Another two are on desks in classrooms on the second floor. One is on the west side, in the room with sparking wires, the other is in the only east-side classroom.
- 8 overdue books
- One upstairs on a desk on the East side of the school.
- One upstairs on a desk on the West side of the school, in the same room as the Vault-Tec lunchbox and the sparking wire.
- One on the second floor, West side, on the floor near a locker, there is a frag mine nearby.
- One is on a toilet in the last stall of the ground-floor bathroom next to the cafeteria.
- 4 are in the library, 1 in the main section on an overturned bookcase to the left of the book return, 3 more in the room where the comic book is.
- The overdue book return terminal contains Mentats for 100 tokens and 3 other unlabeled items for 5 tokens each.
- Super mutant light body armor - In the cafeteria against the east wall.
- Super mutant chest harness - In the room with the final super mutant, to the left of the steamer trunk.
- Kidnapping - A group of super mutants can take up residence in this location after they have kidnapped a settler. The Sole Survivor is required to come here and free the settler.
- Leading by Example - Lancer Captain Kells with the Brotherhood of Steel will eventually give the player a mission where they will be showing a Brotherhood Squire how to perform a clearing. The Sole Survivor will be required to come here with the squire and kill all enemies present.
- A supermutant radio broadcast can be heard in the vicinity of the school.
- It is a possible location to be cleared of hostiles during the Randolph Safehouse Railroad radiant quest.
- Book return tokens can be spent on nothing in the machine in the library.
The Shaw High School only appears in Fallout 4.
- pc ps4 xboxone It is possible to access the terminal entries on Principal Tanner's terminal from every Faculty Terminal by selecting the [BACK] option in the [Memos to Faculty and Staff] menu.[verified]
- ps4 The frame rate may be lower than normal throughout.[verified]
- pc ps4 Random crash when exploring the area.[verified]