A semi-automatic medium power rifle, this rifle is chambered in the common 5.56mm and has a magazine capacity of 20 rounds. The rifle is simple yet well made, and since it requires limited gun skills to use accurately, it makes a very reliable weapon often used by New California Republic troopers.
As of patch 184.108.40.2062 the weapon fires at a much greater rate with increased accuracy. This makes it a much more viable weapon for low level players with its high DPS. This also means NCR troopers are far more effective in combat, with a squad able to project a much greater amount of firepower.
The service rifle can be modified with a forged receiver to increase durability and an upgraded spring to increase the rate of fire. Two other modifications that were cut from the game, a bayonet and a reflex sight, were to be available but left as unfinished models before the release.
It also has two swivels, located on the bottom of the stock and ahead of the handguard, which would be used for a sling, but no such sling is present.
The service rifle can fire a total of about 1995 standard rounds, the equivalent of 100 reloads, from full condition before breaking. When modified with the forged receiver, it can fire a total of about 2995 standard rounds, the equivalent of 150 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ Forged receiver|
|Standard, HP, AP & match||1995||100||2995||150|
|.223 caliber round||2495||125||3745||188|
|The following is based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
|End of information based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content.|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Attacks in V.A.T.S.||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||Action point cost||- Action point cost|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per action point||- Damage per action point|
|Damage per second||- Damage per second||Weapon spread||- Weapon spread|
|Area of effect damage||- Area of effect damage||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|Effect damage & duration||- Effect damage & duration||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Bonus effects||- Bonus effects||Weight||- Weight|
|Attacks per second||- Attacks per second||Value in caps||- Value in caps|
|Critical chance % multiplier||- Critical chance % multiplier||Value to weight ratio||- Value to weight ratio|
|Critical damage||- Critical damage||Skill required||- Skill required|
|Critical effect damage & duration||- Critical effect damage & duration||Strength required||- Strength required|
|With all mods attached||- With all mods attached|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second||Attacks per second||Critical Chance % multiplier||Critical damage||Action Point cost||Damage per action point||Weapon spread||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||Weight||Value in caps||Value to weight ratio||Skill required||Strength required|
|Service rifle With all weapon mods attached||18||98.3||5.46||x1||18||15||1.2||0.55||20||2995||8.5||2040||240||25||2|
|Survivalist's rifle fnvhh||48||187.2||3.9||x1||48||20||2.4||0.08||10||2495||8.5||5400||635.3||75||4|
- South Vegas Ruins - found on the second shelf of metal racking, located inside the ruined building directly north-east of the entrance to Vault 3.
- Boulder City - located on the second floor of a abandoned building to the north-east of the Boulder City ruins entrance, next to some skeletons and a ranger holodisk message. It is in terrible condition.
- Bloodborne cave - found just after second campfire, next to a dead NCR trooper.
- Camp Guardian caves - located on the path down the center.
- Jacobstown - inside one of the bungalows, above the fireplace.
- Dhatri, Klamath Bob, Duke, Halford and Gomez all carry one.
- Gun Runners - can be bought from Vendortron.
- Johnson Nash sometimes has one for sale in Primm.
- Blake at the Crimson Caravan Company sometimes sells them.
- Doc Sawbones in Camp Golf always has one for sale, along with ammunition.
- This rifle is carried by members of the NCR at the Mojave Outpost, HELIOS One, Camp McCarran.
- Can be obtained from First Sergeant Astor after you complete We Will All Go Together in Camp Searchlight, as well as from Ranger Jackson, along with 72 armor piercing 5.56 rounds, 2 weapon repair kits and 2 caravan lunches after you complete Can You Find it in Your Heart? at the Mojave Outpost.
- This rifle, along with two ammunition boxes, can be found in a small, unmarked coyote den west of Primm (exact location would be further on west from the drive-in cinema and playground, just south of the Canyon Wreckage spot on the map) guarded by at least 2 coyotes.
- Can be commonly found in most Ranger Stations.
- Carried by almost all standard NCR troopers.
- During the quest, I Forgot to Remember to Forget, a Legion Vexillarius may carry a service rifle when the Legion attacks Bitter Springs.
Behind the scenes
- The service rifle is based on a mishmash of the AR-15 and the AR-10.
- xbox360 Sometimes when you go into 3rd person with the gun in your hands, your hands will be about the size as a pair of deathclaw hands.
- xbox360 Sometimes in V.A.T.S., the service rifle will disappear from the PCs hands; the animation will continue, however, which will waste ammunition, and do no damage to the enemy. The gun will reappear when the V.A.T.S. animation ends. This glitch may happen outside V.A.T.S. as well, when crouching, but can be fixed by simply standing up.
- xbox360 When completing the aid for Camp Guardian a loop can be created through dialog with Private Halford to obtain 1 service rifle, 15 armor piercing 5.56mm rounds and 32 5.56mm rounds by going through the top dialog options repeatedly.
- pc When upgraded with both the Upgraded Springs and the Forged Receiver, shooting with surplus ammunition makes the Condition jump to 100% before it starts to decline. The condition drops to a certain point around the 75% mark on the scale and then jumps to 100% Condition making 5.56mm Surplus Ammunition much more valuable as a repair exploit. The process is repeatable.