| ||For an overview of shotgun models in the Fallout series of games, see shotgun.|
A shotgun, also called a "scattergun," is a firearm designed to shoot a multitude of lead or steel balls of varying sizes, greatly increasing the weapon's hit potential. This makes it very effective at hunting game. However, the accuracy and power found at close range starts to diminish as the target gets farther away. Shotguns designed for the military's use are often called "combat shotguns."
The sawed-off shotgun is a break action, 12 gauge shotgun with most of the original barrel and stock removed to make it smaller and more easily concealed at the expense of range. Pulling the trigger fires both barrels at once, unleashing 14 pellets instead of the typical 7. While its damage-per-second is low, it inflicts incredible burst damage at close range. The shotgun's base damage in Fallout: New Vegas is double that of its counterpart in Fallout 3 - in fact, it inflicts more damage per shot than any other non-unique shotgun (Big Boomer inflicts an extra 20 points), and is second only to the anti-materiel rifle as the most powerful non-unique conventional firearm in the game.
However, its incredible damage is offset by the fact that it has an extremely wide spread, the highest in the game. In addition, because it fires both barrels at once it wears out fast, eats up more ammo than other shotguns, and must be reloaded after each shot, leaving the player vulnerable between shootings (even with its fast reload speed). Thus, the shotgun is best utilized as an unconventional melee weapon rather than a gun: used either in cramped quarters such as tunnels and caves, or taken out to finish off a charging enemy before they get too close.
The sawed-off shotgun can fire a total of about 395 times, or 790 standard rounds, the equivalent of 395 reloads, from full condition before breaking. This amount is exactly the same as its unique variant.
|Standard, 4/0 buck, slug, coinshot, bean bag, flechette, Dragon's Breath & pulse slug||395||395|
|Magnum & 4/0 buck magnum||343||343|
- Big Boomer, a unique variant carried by Old Lady Gibson.
- Special one used by Button man, which consumes Magical companion ammo.
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Attacks in V.A.T.S.||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||Action point cost||- Action point cost|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per action point||- Damage per action point|
|Damage per second||- Damage per second||Weapon spread||- Weapon spread|
|Area of effect damage||- Area of effect damage||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|Effect damage & duration||- Effect damage & duration||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Bonus effects||- Bonus effects||Weight||- Weight|
|Attacks per second||- Attacks per second||Value in caps||- Value in caps|
|Critical chance % multiplier||- Critical chance % multiplier||Value to weight ratio||- Value to weight ratio|
|Critical damage||- Critical damage||Skill required||- Skill required|
|Critical effect damage & duration||- Critical effect damage & duration||Strength required||- Strength required|
|With all mods attached||- With all mods attached|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second||Attacks per second||Critical Chance % multiplier||Critical damage||Action Point cost||Damage per action point||Weapon spread||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||Weight||Value in caps||Value to weight ratio||Skill required||Strength required|
- HELIOS One - one can sometimes be found (50% chance) in a toolbox in the pool table room.
- Atomic Wrangler casino - there is a gun case in the back room behind the bar. Two sawed-off shotguns can be found, as well as some shells.
- Jessup carries a sawed-off shotgun.
- Gun Runners - can be purchased from Vendortron.
- Sawed-off shotguns are carried by the bartenders at The Tops and Gomorrah casinos.
- One can be received from Heck Gunderson during the quest Beyond the Beef. Right after contact with Chauncey, head back to Heck and tell him that his son was kidnapped and is being held in the hotel.
- Should the player help Cachino kill Big Sal and Nero during How Little We Know, he'll hand the player a sawed-off and thirty 12 gauge magnum shells when Nero's office is entered.
- Sloan - In the worker barracks, in a easy-locked cabinet. Must be stolen.
- Ralph of Mick & Ralph's carries a nearly 100% condition sawed-off shotgun.
- Mick at Mick & Ralph's sells sawed-off shotguns, once the player passes a Speech check of 30 to gain access to his secret stash.
- Randomly carried by Fiends.