The location is a large multi-level ironworks factory, consisting of the main factory and a few smaller buildings on the roof and at ground level. The factory interior consists of metal floors and platforms and contains many vats of molten metal, which both emit light and deal massive damage to players not wearing power armor.
On the middle level there is a room containing both a weapon and an armor workbench, there is also a terminal nearby, which can be used to activate a protectron that will engage the Forged in combat. On the top level behind an automated turret, there is a door to the blast furnace in which Jake Finch, Abraham's son, and Slag, are found. Opposite that door is a power armor station and a door to the roof.
A shortcut to the furnace area can be taken by walking up a steep pipe on the southern exterior of the building and entering through the door on the roof. The entrance to the blast furnace is locked with an Expert lock. There are multiple Forged and fragmentation mines on the roof. Engaging these Forged in combat may attract the Gunners on the nearby overpass. One of those Gunners, a captain named Bridget, may lob mini nukes into the fray.
- Explosives bobblehead - Found in the blast furnace room on top of the control panel above the furnace.
- Picket Fences issue #3 - Found in the blast furnace room, on the floor of the steel walkway right under the steamer trunk and the ammo box.
- A Shishkebab - Looted from the power-armored Forged leader Slag, who resides in the blast furnace room, needed for the quest Out of the Fire.
- Dampening coil - In the southeast corner of the blast furnace room. Follow the catwalk to the right and downwards; found on the wall adjacent to the smelter. Needed for the quest Here There Be Monsters.
- An overdue book and a Day Tripper - Near the stairs in the southwest corner along the west wall on the ground level, located in the toppled smelting pot next to a skeleton and shopping basket that is found directly down the short stairs adjacent to the gun-trapped bathroom.
- A Vault-Tec lunchbox - On the top floor of the first room. It is located just north of the far south wall, in an office nook.
- Saugus roof key - On Slag, Jake Finch, and a Forged leader that replaces Slag once he is killed. Opens roof door.
- Out of the Fire - Jake Finch has stolen his father's sword (Shishkebab), hoping to join the Forged. The sword must be taken back in order to gain Finch farm as a settlement.
- Here There Be Monsters - A new dampening coil is needed to restore power to the Yangtze, it can be found here.
- Kidnapping - A group of raiders can take up residence in this location after they have kidnapped a settler. The Sole Survivor is required to come here and free the settler.
- Stop the Raiding - Raiders are attacking settlements from here, they must be stopped.
- The second area upstairs has both a weapons workbench and an armor workbench available. There is also a power armor station located in the room with doors to the roof and the furnace.
- A swift death is awarded to anyone who falls into the column of liquid metal on the roof.
- Slag's terminal on the wall near his platform may contain notes about other raider strongholds that have been cleared by the player character before reaching the ironworks.
- Upon defeating Slag, it's possible for him to fall into the molten steel, making his loot and the Shishkebab impossible to retrieve. The player character can enter the molten steel and take only minimal damage while in power armor.
- Upon defeating Slag, it's possible for him to fall on top of the Picket Fences Magazine in such a way that the option to pick it up isn't available. Due to the weight of his power armor frame, his body cannot be dragged to uncover the magazine. Shooting his corpse can help, but can also use a lot of ammunition. Alternatives include throwing grenades or running into his corpse to push it aside. One can, however, return in a few game days to find Slag replaced by a generic boss raider and should be able to acquire the magazine then.
- Due to its close proximity to the Slog, fast traveling to that settlement may cause its settlers and the nearby Forged to engage in combat.
- Corpses may be ignited by placing them into the vats of molten metal. They then act as permanent light sources.
- There are many sources of light around the entire factory, which can make stealth difficult.
The Saugus Ironworks only appears in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Saugus Ironworks is a counterpart to the real Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site.
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- The terminal in the second section contains a list of people punished including a raider called "Yancey" who refused to change his name. This is a reference to the Futurama episode "The Luck of the Fryrish" in which Fry's brother Yancy was jealous of Fry's name.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- pc ps4 After the battle with Slag, the player character can become covered in bright orange molten metal during conversations and in third person view. An easy fix is to reload a save and get lit on fire again by the Forged, turning you back to normal. [verification overdue]
- pc Surviving an encounter with a container of molten metal may cause the game to equip your character with a permanent, unnamed gore item intended for NPCs killed in this fashion. Because the molten metal is intended to be a definitive death, the game immediately flags your character as dead and equips them with this default "molten death" appearance regardless of whether you survive or not. Essentially, you have a "death mesh" inside your character mesh which clips through in 3rd person view and obstructs the center of the screen when activating sneak mode. This can be solved via the console by using player.removeitem 0001e22e5. [verified]
- ps4 The Explosives bobblehead might not spawn. [verification overdue]
- pc A pair of raiders seem to spawn quite frequently near the bonfire outside Saugus Ironworks. They will occasionally wander into the bonfire and die. [verification overdue]
- pc If you exit the blast furnace during the boss fight with Slag, using explosives on Slag might cause his body to become stuck inside the metal cage on either side of the door going into the blast furnace. This means that you won't be able to loot Slag for his power armor or the Shishkebab. [verification overdue]
- pc Upon leaving the Blast Furnace room there is a chance all enemies will respawn and all containers will refill (only appears to occur after Slag has been beaten and replaced with 'Forged Leader').[verification overdue]
- ps4 After the battle with Slag, if the Sole Survivor returns to Saugus Ironworks, Forged characters may glitch out where they are stuck laying on the ground, not attacking. [verification overdue]