You want a superheated Saturnite Power Fist? I can hook that shit up!”— Toaster
The Saturnite alloy research facility is a location in the southwest of the Big MT in the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Old World Blues. It is located southeast of the Z-43 innovative toxins plant, and is a factory based on top of a cave system where there is an exposed lava flow. As Saturnite is shown in-game to retain heat to the point where a blade forged from it can be used to melt away metal, the use of lava for testing this property makes sense. The building is full of crazed Mister Handy robots, along with one unique Mister Handy by the name of Sparks.
Upon entering the eastern entrance, is a standard lobby with a few desks and computers that leads to a main factory floor. In front of the first desk, is a box of Mentats, with a Sunset Sarsaparilla vending machine nearby. This floor has a southern exit, as well as a set of stairs that lead up to small tunnel system. There is a part of the rail that can be jumped over, in which there is a pipe to land on, which when walked across, leads to a toolbox containing assorted chems. The tunnels lead to a cave system with more stairs, that eventually lead down into the main cave. The main cave, as well as Sparks, however, are protected by a force field, so a sonic emitter will be required to progress further in.
- Light Switch 02 Upgrade: "Mood Lights" holotape: upon entering, turn right and step through the doorway into the factory. Immediately on the left of the doorway just gone through, is a cabinet with the holotape in it.
- If the Courier jumps down into the lava pit, they will die before landing on the lava. The lava is flat, and landing on it is as if it were actually ground, yet the lava will still move under the body. This is more or less consistent with reality, unlike popular depictions in movies, e.g. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, in which people falling into a lava flow sink. Lava, being molten rock, has a much higher specific gravity than a human body, so that if a human were immune to the heat so that they could stand on it, they would still not sink in it. And of course not being immune to the heat, a human would die from exposure to the intense heat at even close proximity to a lava flow, so that jumping down into a lava pit would be a guaranteed and almost instant death sentence.
- Upon exiting the facility through the southern garage door exit, a skeleton with a construction hat is a few feet in front of a truck. Another one is next to the lockers near where the Light Switch 02 Upgrade holotape is found. There is also one on the skeleton on the edge of the lava pit. By climbing into it far enough, it can be obtained, and the Courier can jump back out up the crater's walls without worry.
- Outside of the main building is an old world flag painted in blue, left by Ulysses.
- Standing on the raw superheated Saturnite bar in the rear of the building will not cause damage.