Salem was previously a quaint coastal town and seaport, as well as a tourist destination infamous for the witch trials of 1692. After the Great War the town ruins became a small settlement, however by 2287 the population has dwindled considerably due to Gunner activity in the area, the Church of the Children of Atom worshipping a radioactive crater house down the road, and the large number of mating mirelurks in the waters all around the bay. Even though most of the original residents are now long gone the sole living resident, Barney Rook, leader of the Salem Volunteer Militia, continues to strive to keep order in town.
Most of Salem buildings are in ruins but a couple of them are still points of interest :
- Guns and Bullets - in Barney Rook's basement.
- Mini nuke - Underneath the terminal in the bell tower.
- Fat Man - On the store shelf on the second floor of the boarded-up shop. One of Barney's turrets is also located here.
- Reba II - In Barney's basement.
- The Devil's Due - The Sole Survivor will find the remnants of the deathclaw eggs poaching party. The quest starts by exploring the Museum of Witchcraft.
- Gun Run - Barney Rook asks the Sole Survivor to reactivate 5 turrets located throughout the town. The reward is Reba II, a unique hunting rifle that does +50% damage against bugs. The quest happens in the neighborhood of the Rook family house.
- After completing the Gun Run quest for Barney Rook, the turrets will be hostile against vertibirds called in by the Sole Survivor.
- ↑ Alien captive recorded log 1: "On the night of May 17th, the year of our Lord 1697, I was...I was taken. From my home in Salem Village"