You may not be so brave when you face the Ritual of the Mother Seed. Stronger souls than you have attempted it and lost their minds. Venture west to the great bog, and within you shall find the mother of all Punga Fruit. She stands taller than a man, and her vines guide our future. Collect her seeds, and kneel before her wisdom. Only then will you be ready to enter these sacred halls.”— Jimson
The sacred bog is a location in Point Lookout, reached via the sacred bog entrance on the westernmost side of the map. It is a winding path through the swamp, populated by various swamp creatures.
The Bog is populated with swamplurks, mirelurk hunters and swamplurk queens, all of which are found along the path towards the Mother Punga, a very large variant of the punga plant. Many punga plants can be found here, including 35 punga plants around the Mother Punga alone.
This is an enormous "seed," part of a huge wild bloom of the Punga fruit. The seeds nestle on a pod in the recessed part of the fruit. The plant shudders and releases a puff of pollen, said to cause vivid hallucinations.
- Directly north of the sacred bog entrance is a burned out house with some loot.
- The water inside the sacred bog has unusually low levels of radiation; drinking from most bodies of water inside the bog will heal 20 HP while only causing an increase of 1 unit of radiation. The exception is the body of water immediately prior to the Mother Punga plant, which has a normal level of radiation.
- Upon entering this location, fast travel is not available until exit from sacred bog entrance has been achieved.
- The sacred bog has its own World Map. This is because the World Map of Point Lookout is too small to create a map marker when at the far end of the bog without going off the map.
- The Lone Wanderer will still have hallucinations of Moira Brown's and Elder Lyons' dead bodies as well as Mr Break (The bog's version of Mr. Burke), even if you never met the characters beforehand.
- pc xbox360 There are reports of unusually frequent crashes in this area. Upon investigating in the GECK, there is an activator in this cell that can cause some PCs to crash. There is a third party fix available. [verified]
- ps3 There is a possible bug that will allow one to remain under the swamp water just outside of the sacred bog entrance without affecting oxygen levels. [verified]
- pc xbox360 There is a bug that if you have any temporary follower with you it will crash the game. [verified]