Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
The Robot Workbench allows for the construction of a wide range of robots... including combinations never approved by General Atomics International or RobCo!”— Loading screen hint
The robot workbench is a world object in the Fallout 4 add-on Automatron. It is used to modify robot companions by equipping them with various robot mods, including Codsworth and Ada. It can only be crafted once the Mechanical Menace quest has been completed.
Nuclear material (4)
Robot workbench (1)
The robot workbench is by far the largest crafting station in the game both in width and in height. Rooms in player-built houses are usually not high enough to accommodate the workbench, but placing it inside a building is ill-advised anyway because some automatrons (sentry bots in particular) are too large to navigate enclosed spaces, much less fit through human-sized doors. While this problem can be circumvented by ordering the automatron to follow the Sole Survivor as a companion and wait for it to teleport to its master's side when the distance grows too long, it is far more convenient to just build the workbench outside.
There is, however, one notable exception: The Red Rocket truck stop garage is spacious enough to build a robot workbench in, and its door can easily be passed by even the largest automatrons.
Constructing a new robot requires...
...and will create a basic protectron with no armor.
The new robot will be given a default name of the form "Automatron-XXX", with XXX being a randomly generated number, but they can be renamed like any weapon or piece of armor.
Players can choose components from a total of nine different robot models:
- Mister Handy
- Nukatron fo4nw
- Galactron fo4nw
- Novatron fo4nw
- Sentry bot
- Space Sentry bot fo4nw
Constructing an automatron encompasses choices in seven categories. An eighth category, "Special Mods", is only relevant for the Automatron questline and plays no role for the construction of generic robots.
- Head (For all torsos but Mr. Handy and Nukatron)
- Left arm
- Right arm
- Thruster arm (With Mr. Handy torso and thruster only)
- Voice (Not available with Nukatron)
- Paint (Not available with Nukatron)
Robot parts can be freely mixed with almost no restrictions, thus enabling the player to create highly unusual but very deadly combinations. As an example, a Mister Handy torso and thruster assembly including a Tesla field and three buzzsaw-equipped appendages, combined with sentry bot arms wielding Gatling lasers and decked out in voltaic armor plating, results in an automatron that can single-handedly massacre entire hostile strongholds at range without needing ammunition, will devastate almost anything foolish enough to enter melee range, can move at impressive speed, can carry more than most organic companions, and is small enough to accompany its master everywhere.
When building a robot the head and both arms are optional - an automatron can be finished without them, although in such a case it will usually be lacking means of inflicting damage or interacting with its surroundings, as demonstrated by Bosun aboard the USS Constitution.
- In order to build the robot workbench, you must have completed the mission Mechanical Menace.
- The only robots from the base game which can be modded are Codsworth and Curie (before becoming a synth), although once they have been modified, they are no longer able to equip apparel such as the bowler hat. The only way to revert is to load a previous save.
- Even though there are settlements that feature their own robot inhabitants, none of them can be modified with the workbench. However, machines built using this workbench can be used to populate settlements of the player's choice.
- If equipped with only unstable miniguns or Gatling lasers, the robot will attempt a suicide detonation against an enemy if the weapons break during combat. After combat has ended the robot will repair the destroyed weapons on its own, or you can use robot repair kit to repair your robot.
- Robots built with the workbench can be assigned to settlements and used to run supply lines back and forth, which can be very useful when establishing supply lines through dangerous areas.
- Curie will lose the modifications made to her robot body and revert to her original appearance while completing her side quest Emergent Behavior, so it is advised to remove these modifications before starting the quest.
- Just like any other workbenches, you cannot use the robot workbench while wearing power armor.
- Robot workbenches can produce new robots indefinitely, provided the Survivor has sufficient supplies to build them.
- Attempting to build a robot without having all the necessary materials will display a list of components needed, but not how many the player already has in their possession. This can lead to confusion if a player is not aware of what amount they already own.
- The workbench can be used to "warp" nearby Automatrons to the player, whether they are in the settlement or passing through a nearby area.
- The Nukatron body makes it unable to edit the head, color or voice, leaving the Nukatron's limbs the standard Protectron colors.
- ps4 xboxone pc When building a robot and scrolling down during part selection, the prior selection above your cursor may be selected instead, as stated at the top of the screen as well as the tooltip. (Ex: voltaic armor instead of hydrolic armor, flamer hand instead of protectron laser hand, Resistance Field instead of Regenerator Field) Moving the cursor up a selection and back will fix the current instance. Sometimes the above fix does not work. In that case, one must uninstall the Automatron DLC, make a new save, and reinstall the Automatron DLC. This will reset all progress in the Automatron quests and remove any previously acquired Automatron DLC content. [verified]
- xboxone Building an automatron without hands (Ex: a Gatling laser in the hand slot is not a hand) will prevent them from hacking and lock picking.[verification overdue]
- xboxone The sniper laser (either hand) will appear as "super laser" in the inventory screen.[verification overdue]