| ||For an overview of combat armor variants in all games, as well as background information, see combat armor.|
Rivet City (left) and Tenpenny (right) variants
First created in 2051, the military-grade combat armor was designed to protect key sections of the human body from ballistic trauma with hard armored plates made from complex polymers and ceramics, with a flexible body suit interwoven with thermal-dissipative membranes and bulletproof material. The earliest models of the combat armor were manufactured as specific plates mounted on combat webbing, although as the technology improved, body-enclosing suits of armor were created and entered active combat duty, though in limited quantities. The armor came with a matte-finish olive drab coloring by default, making it suitable for woodland and/or urban camouflage. Prior to the Great War, combat armor was nearly exclusively the property of military forces and special police units. Currently-available historical documentation shows users only in the North American continent, but allied nations were likely to possess identical or similar systems. Combat armor was the de facto armor of the United States military, issued to all combat soldiers not in the powered armor units. Additionally, at least one Canadian partisan was caught on camera wearing a suit of combat armor.
Civilian ownership of combat armor was highly restricted. A special permit was required from the Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers for private ownership of the combat armor (though it was marketed to US citizens without mentioning this fact).
The Rivet City security uniform and the matching Rivet City security helmet are the standard protection for members of Rivet City security. Whereas the Tenpenny security uniform is worn by the guards of Tenpenny Tower, the Tenpenny security helmet can be found in the game files but is not actually used in the game.
The two security uniforms have the lowest Damage Resistance out of all combat armor variants, offering slightly less protection than even the Talon combat armor. Actually, they provide no better protection than ordinary leather armor, and weigh more, thus reducing both movement speed and sneak characteristics. Nonetheless, they provide better protection than most clothing worn in the wasteland, including merc outfits and raider armors, and convey a relatively valuable bonus (+5) to Small Guns.
Rivet City security uniformEdit
The black-colored Rivet City security uniform and helmet are worn by the Rivet City security guards at Rivet City. Visually, the uniform appears to be scratched and worn. It also seems to have a very faint camouflage pattern if looked at closely enough (more visible on the female version of the armor). The helmet comprises a black combat helmet and a Plexiglas face shield identical in appearance to the Vault 101 security helmet with 2 main differences, it has a higher damage resistance and can be equipped with eyewear like sunglasses.
Tenpenny security uniformEdit
The khaki-colored Tenpenny security uniform is given to all of the security guards at Tenpenny Tower.
- Ranger battle armor
- Combat armor
- Talon combat armor
- Lag-Bolt's combat armor Broken Steel
- Winterized combat armor Operation: Anchorage (add-on)
- Winterized medic armor Mothership Zeta (add-on)
- Ranger battle helmet
- Combat helmet
- Talon combat helmet
- Winterized combat helmet Operation: Anchorage (add-on)
- Winterized medic helmet Mothership Zeta (add-on)
- The uniforms can be obtained by reverse-pickpocketing or killing a guard and looting their corpse. Dusty of Big Town, who wears one of the helmets, is the only character to wear a part of a Rivet City uniform without living in Rivet City.
- A Rivet City security guard may be found in one of the holding cells in Mothership Zeta.
- pc When worn by a female character, the Tenpenny security uniform has the green sleeves from standard combat armor. Bethesda used the standard combat armor mesh with an alternate texture, however the 3D index for Arms02 was mistakenly set to 4 instead of 2 causing the texture error. [verified]
- xbox360 The above bug isn't an issue for the Fallout 3: GOTY addition. A female character wears the Tenpenny security armor without the texture clash. The color is exactly as seen in game.