Now you'll face the full might of the Mechanist, my righteous robots will end your tyranny once and for all!”— The Mechanist
|Automatron main quest: Restoring Order|
|Install the M-SAT on a robot.|
|Travel to the RobCo sales & service center.|
|Fight your way to the Mechanist||Collect the chief scientist's holotape, the facilities director's holotape, and the lead engineer's holotape to unlock the elevator.|
|Confront the Mechanist.|
|Kill the Mechanist and Sparks.||Talk down the Mechanist as the Silver Shroud.||Talk down the Mechanist.|
|Reward: 300+ XP|
Mechanist's armor and helmet
The Mechanist's lair as a settlement.
|Leads to: Rogue Robot|
Once inside, player character must use their robot, with an attached M-SAT, on several devices stuck to walls, to open the blastproof doors throughout the lair. After a lot of battling, the player character will finally make it into the Mechanist's war room. Inside, they will battle several waves of increasingly tough robots, the last one being a Duelbot.
Alternatively, if the player character has collected all three supervisor holotapes and before going into the war room, the player character can avoid the final battle with the waves of robots. If the player character goes all the way back to near the beginning of the lair, where the first set of robots were fought, there is a decontamination corridor with a security room overlooking it. This room can be accessed either by a locked door on one side or a hole in the wall on the other. In this room is an elevator that is initially not working. Next to it on the wall is a Master-level locked "elevator access terminal" that can manually override the lockdown. After unlocking the terminal, then inserting each supervisor holotape and playing them, the three voice authorizations will override the lockdown and the elevator will work. At this point the player character can go up to the control room, surprise the Mechanist and a speech check will allow the player character to make the Mechanist stand down. (See notes below on where the holotapes are.)
Once the duelbot has been defeated, the power will fail and a speech check will allow the player character to make the Mechanist stand down. The dialog here is timed, so if one waits too long to speak with the Mechanist, she will turn hostile. After explaining herself, she will remove her helmet, revealing herself to be Isabel Cruz.
She will then thank the Sole Survivor, before giving them her costume and walking away. She will usually also give the side quest Rogue Robot. Ada will also thank the player character, at which point the main storyline of Automatron is complete.
- The Mechanist has special responses if the player character is dressed as the Silver Shroud and chooses to speak in-character.
- If one has the robotics expert perk and hacks one of the robots, they automatically self-destruct.
- All previously unavailable robot mods will be unlocked at the robot workbench once this mission is completed.
- There is a secret room past the Mechanist's bedroom accessed by pressing a button on the right side of the coffee machine in the hall. The room contains a missile launcher and some missiles, a leveled safe with random items, a wall first aid kit with some standard first aid items and an observation terminal with a few more notes about the goings on in the facility.
- The "supervisor" tapes needed are, in order of finding them, lead engineer's holotape, facilities director's holotape and chief scientist's holotape. The lead engineer's tape can be found next to the chief engineer's terminal. The facilities director's holotape can be found under the facilities management terminal, next to the ammo box. The chief scientist's holotape can be found in the shelf under the cerebral reconditioning terminal, in the brain extraction room. All the holotapes are found as the player character goes through the lair.
- The sky lift is generally operated when one steps onto the lift and presses the button on the lift rail. The return button, however, is the first button that one comes to just before approaching the lift. This button will not operate unless the sky lift was left on the other side. (This condition could occur if the Sole Survivor jumps off the lift and survives.)
- pc ps4 xboxone After the power fails, the Mechanist may not speak with you, making the quest impossible to complete. This may be due to shooting any of the robots on the assembly line after the first wave of the final battle.[verified]
- Making a save when the Mechanist won't speak with you, exiting the game entirely, restarting the game, and then reloading the save may fix the problem.
- pc ps4 xboxone Wearing power armor with a Targeting HUD mod may make the Mechanist and Sparks become hostile towards you.[verified]
- Removing the mod or the entire helmet, or exiting your power armor can fix this.
- When reaching the final battle with the Mechanist, it is possible to access the workbench to the right of their control room and place turrets between waves of enemies if the player character has sufficient crafting materials in their inventory.[platforms tag needed][verification overdue]
- pc After finishing the quest, and taking the lift back to the surface, the game will CTD after interacting with the door. The game also CTDs if you walk back through the level and try to exit out the door you came in to.[verified]
- pc If you use the console command "killall" you will break the quest and have to restart it. This is because the entire base is in the same room which makes it so you kill the Mechanist all the way over on the other side of the base.[verified]
- ps4 After using the terminal to open the door to the Robobrain Production Area, it is possible to get stuck to the computer and be unable to move away. Reloading from a previous save should solve this.[verification overdue]
- pc When entering the Mechanist's room for the first time, dialouge will not commence, making it impossible to continue. To force the dialogue and continue, open the console and type "SetStage XX0010f5 800".[verification overdue]
- pc The Mechanist may not open the shutters to her control center when the final battle is set to take place, and the terminal for the elevator may not register all of the voiceprints when trying to take the non-combat route.[verification needed]
- The battle can be forced to start with the SetStage command. Using SetStage XX0010f5 900 or 1000 doesn't fix this or reactivate the facility once the battle is over, and the Mechanist may put back on a copy of her suit during dialog.
- Taking the peaceful route by collecting all of the holotapes and using the terminal by the elevator fixes this. If the terminal doesn't respond to the tapes, use SetStage DLC01Lair 930 and unlock the elevator terminal (or use the console to unlock it). Choose the dialogue to confirm the override, and the quest should proceed normally.
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.