Resting is used to heal in a safe place without the need to use stimpaks, buffout, healing consumables or healing perks/implants. The player is unable to rest if there are enemies nearby, when the area is exposed to radiation, or if the bed is owned by someone else.
Fallout and Fallout 2Edit
In Fallout and Fallout 2, you can rest to recover your health in almost any place, as long as you're not in combat, using the Pip-Boy 2000 alarm clock function. A handful of places, such as the toxic caves or Vault City downtown, prohibit resting.
Sleeping in a bed for any length of time will restore full health and heal all limbs, but will not get rid of radiation buildup. You cannot sleep in an owned bed (if the owner dies the bed won't revert to an un-owned state). Many places in the open wasteland have un-owned beds for players to use freely, however, most major settlements require you to rent a bed, which will give you the Well Rested bonus.
Alternatively, it is possible to wait in a certain location for however long you desire. Unlike sleeping, there is no benefit to this other than advancing the clock. It will not restore any health (unless you have the Solar Powered perk and are standing in the sun), and all the drawbacks still apply. It mainly serves the purpose of moving forward in time to a point where certain events will trigger, such as the open hours of a shop.
If you sleep in a bed you own or rent (such as in your Megaton house, Tenpenny Tower suite, Kenny's Cave, or a rented room) for an hour or more, you will become "Well Rested" and gain a 10% bonus to experience gained for 12 hours. The add-on Broken Steel adds the perk Deep Sleep, which gives you the bonus from sleeping in any bed (provided the rest of the conditions are met).
- The article Fallout 3 player housing provides numerous locations with "free beds".
Sleeping in these will provide you with the "Well Rested" bonus.
- Megaton, Moriarty's Saloon, Nova, 120 caps.
- Rivet City, Weatherly Hotel, 120 caps.
- Underworld, Carol's Place, 120 caps.
Fallout New VegasEdit
Beds act the same as in Fallout 3, but with some minor differences. In addition to owned beds conferring a Well Rested bonus, having sex with someone or sleeping in specific 'Queen' or 'Queen-sized' beds in certain locations will also confer the bonus. In Hardcore mode, the healing benefits of a bed only apply to owned beds; other beds in the Wasteland will reduce sleep but not restore any health.
Alternatively, with a high Survival skill, the perks Home on the Range and Roughin' It allow the Courier to sleep via interaction with a campfire or in an unowned bed respectively. Also, the Roughin' it! bedroll kit is essentially a portable bed.
Free bed locationsEdit
Camp Forlorn HopeEdit
- In the medical tent; any unused bed can be used.
- The bed in the gas station is available, if Ringo isn't already sleeping there.
- The bed in Victor's shack (the cowboy robot) is also available.
- You can use the bed in Doc Mitchell's house that you awoke in at the start of the game.
- Easy Pete's house has two beds free to use.
- There is a mattress inside the trailer behind the general store.
Nevada Highway Patrol StationEdit
- The bed is in the jail cells.
- Unoccupied bunk beds in the Barracks are available.
- The King's School of Impersonation has spare beds. The upstairs queen-sized beds next to The King's room provides Well Rested bonus.
- Manny Vargas has an extra bed in his room.
- In the Mining office.
- The 'Queen Bed' in the back middle bungalow will provide the Well Rested bonus.
- The Dino Dee-lite motel room in Novac can be owned by the player. It will be given to you permanently for free after completing One for My Baby properly, or can be purchased from Jeannie May Crawford for 100 caps. Also, if "Come Fly With Me" is completed your reputation will increase in Novac and Jennie May will offer the room for free when the 'I'd like to rent a room' dialog is selected.
- The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Atomic Wrangler casino and the Lucky 38 casinos all have beds that can be owned, either given as quest rewards or won through gambling. The Vault 21 hotel has a rentable room that can be made free through repeated donations of Vault suits to the owner.
- Beds in various Safehouses, after gaining access to them.
Sleeping in a bed for any length of time will restore full health and heal any damaged limbs except in Survival mode.
These beds can be rented from NPC's for 10 Caps each night and will grant the player with the Well Rested (perk) bonus
Free bed locationsEdit
- There is a bed in the root cellar at Sanctuary Hills.
- Any bed in an owned settlement can be used by the Sole Survivor.
- Before entering Corvega assembly plant, a bed may be found on the highway to the North of it. This is especially useful in the updated Survival mode.
- 2 can be found in Concord, One in a Open house near Red Rocket truck stop and other on another house close by the Museum of Freedom A third bed can be found in the sewers near a mirelurk. Concord Civic Access
- Some can be found in Jalbert Brothers Disposal
- Inside the Cambridge Police Station
- A few Around College Square
- Truck Trailer near ArcJet Systems
- A Few Beds found across Park Street Station
- A few Quarters and Bunk Houses can be found both inside and outside of Fort Hagen
- Near Drumlin Diner there is a mattress on top of the walkway behind the big sign, go up the tree to get to the walkway.
- There are beds in Mystic Pines.
- There is an abandoned house in which there are two free beds, outside of Concord and towards Lexington.
- There is a sleeping bag at the Boston train yards, near the Coverga plant in Lexington.
- A mattress can be found in the abandoned house next to Tenpines Bluff