Bug Verification Project
Rescue from Paradise
Rescue from Paradise
ThemIn-game spelling, punctuation and/or grammar and Penny got themselves caught by Mungoes like you. Slavers from Paradise Falls.”— Mayor MacCready, when asked about the kids who got caught.
Rescue from Paradise is a side quest in Fallout 3. It is also an Xbox 360/PC achievement and a PlayStation 3 trophy. Depending on perk choices and dialogue successes, you may need to complete this quest to advance the game's main quest.
|Side Quest: Rescue from Paradise|
|Speak with Mayor MacCready.||Gain entrance into Paradise Falls.|
|Speak with Squirrel.||Speak with Eulogy Jones.||Kill all of the slavers.|
|Reconnect Squirrel's terminal to the network.||Purchase the children from Eulogy.||Release the children from the cage.|
|Distract or kill Forty.|
|Help Rory for Penny or convince her to leave him.|
|Meet with the children outside Paradise Falls and return to Little Lamplight.|
|Reward: Entrance to Little Lamplight and 900 XP|
When you get inside Paradise Falls you have to go to the slave cage at the back of the area and talk to the kids through the wire gate. Squirrel tells you that you must get his computer terminal reconnected to the network so he can deactivate their slave collars and open the gates. This can be accomplished either by tampering with the terminal in Eulogy's pad (requires 50 science) or rewiring a cable junction box near the bar (the area with the sign labeled Food) (requires Repair 40). Once this is completed, Squirrel tells you that the guard Forty needs to be distracted so they can make a run for it. The player has the option of talking to Forty and convincing him to walk away, or just killing him instead (which turns the entire camp hostile). You can also mez Forty causing the slave camp to turn against him but you being safe. Alternatively, you can talk to Crimson and either convince or pay her to seduce Forty. You can also convince Forty that he is not being paid enough through a speech challenge which will cause him to go talk to Eulogy Jones and be away from the slave pen.
Once this is completed, Squirrel will tell you that their friend Penny won't leave until her friend Rory is released from The Box. (Note that if you killed the slavers to allow the kids to escape Rory will have died in the box and you won't get this speech option.) However, it is also possible to convince Sammy and Squirrel to abandon her if your speech is high enough. This act grants negative Karma. You may meet the kids outside at this point and finish the quest for full XP (900) and positive Karma. You may also make a speech check to tell Penny to leave without him (75% chance at speech skill 100); or if you have the Child at Heart perk, you can convince Penny to leave Rory there without any Karma loss. At this point, the player can lie to Penny and tell her Rory is safe, tell her that "friends leave you sometimes," or find the key to The Box and save Rory. Penny says you can pickpocket Forty or find it in Eulogy's Pad. You can also try to pickpocket it from Eulogy Jones. Once you retrieve the key, you have to save Rory and tell her he made it or if he died you can tell her that he died with no Karma loss. Once the kids have escaped, Sammy tells you to meet him southwest of here. Speak to them again and they say that they are returning to Lamplight Cavern and will make sure that MacCready allows the Lone Wanderer to pass through.
Once you open the box, you will notice that Rory is not a child, and realize that he won't fit through the sewer pipe drainage grate like Penny, Sammy, and Squirrel. You'll need to sneak him out through the front door.
You don't have to get Rory out of the town. You can get him out of The Box, tell him to follow you, immediately go back to Penny and tell her you've rescued him. As he tries to escape he will die, but Penny will be rescued.
It's possible to "rescue" Rory without turning the town hostile, as long as he does all the fighting. First, steal the ammunition (including grenades) from all the outdoor slavers, and collect all the melee weapons lying around. Note that ammunition is respawned on the slavers, named and unnamed alike, after some time has passed (probably 72h). Next, you will have to give Rory a weapon and ammunition. He is hopeless with energy weapons, but can handle a combat shotgun rather well. You will have to plant (reverse-pickpocket) it on him, and he will turn hostile if he catches you. He can use stimpaks as well, so plant a couple on him. Don't give him anything too rare or expensive, as you will likely not be able to retrieve it. Now, when you tell Rory to run, he will be armed and the slavers will not. This gives him a fighting chance, although he still tends to freeze up and get beaten to death. Once he reaches the door to the outside, he is home free; Grouse and the other outdoor guard will not attack him. However you should be aware that Ymir and Jotun are armed with super sledges and can easily kill Rory. This is why it is recommended to sneak Rory out at night, so that many of the slavers will be asleep.
It is possible to simply sneak Rory out of the town with no fighting if timed correctly. At dusk many of the slavers will head for their beds, if Forty is still away from his post you will be able to sneak right through the town and leave by the front door without any fighting.
Another method is the running of the bulls strategy, where you get to Rory to follow you, and release the other 3 prisoners willing to escape from the pen simultaneously. With luck, You and Rory can make it to the gate while the other prisoners take the brunt of the enemy fire. This can be used in conjunction with looting of the slavers of their ammunition.
If you're interested in actually saving Rory through cleansing the town, it is necessary to release him from the box before killing all of the slavers, or else, when you open The Box, he will be dead, though intact. The best method seems to be to free him at midnight from The Box, lead him to the far back corner of the now open children's pen once they have run away, and have him wait there while you decimate the slavers of Paradise Falls. (Even having him wait in the open Box seems to work fairly well.) Then, simply lead him to the gate. There will be about 10 slavers awake at that time of night, depending on the difficulty level, and this will obviously turn the city hostile towards the player. It does not appear to be necessary to kill the two guards at the entrance to Paradise falls, as Rory talks to you at the town exit, at the end of which you gain Karma.
As an alternative to those strategies which require you to kill the slavers of Paradise Falls and to those strategies which just leave Rory there, there is a third option. Once you have opened the box and gone through the initial dialogue, simply tell him that he's "on his own" or something to that effect. He'll be upset and start running toward the exit on his own rather than following you there. Immediately bring up the "Wait" feature. Wait about an hour or two, and he'll be transported out of Paradise Falls. The slavers will still be acting as they were. The key to making sure this works is ensuring that you "Wait" before Rory can enter into any sort of combat. You miss out on the Karma for personally escorting him to the door, but he will still show up at Moriarty's. This technique can also be used to assist the slaves you may have captured during Strictly Business without murdering the slavers, as well.
There is no reward besides Karma for saving Rory. He gains no new dialogue in his new home in Moriarty's Saloon.
If you have enough bottle caps and a high enough speech skill, you can simply buy the children from Eulogy Jones. He demands 500 bottle caps each for Sammy and Penny, and 1000 bottle caps for Squirrel. However, with a successful speech challenge you can buy all three children for 1200 bottle caps total. You can then meet the children at the front gate to Paradise Falls and simply escort them outside. Speaking with Sammy will successfully end the quest. However, completing it in this method will not allow Rory to escape.
Shooting all of the slavers will complete the quest. A rather messy way to do it, but it works. Note that if you kill the 3 guards standing in front (Grouse, the random slaver, and Forty) the first time you encounter Paradise Falls, Sammy will not go inside and return to the cage but remain by the burnt-out car next to the gate. Only Squirrel and Penny will be waiting for you at the grate exit, Sammy will make his own way back to Little lamplight without the need for any interaction with you.
|10||Gain entrance to Paradise Falls.|
|15||Find and speak with the kidnapped Lamplighters.|
|20||Connect the department store computer to the Paradise Falls secure network.|
|30||Tell Squirrel the computer is now connected to the network.|
|40||Arrange for Forty to be away from the slave pen.|
|45||Tell Squirrel the guard has been distracted.|
|50||Speak with Penny and convince her to leave Paradise Falls.|
|60||Find a way to release Rory Maclaren from the box.|
|70||Talk to Penny and tell her to leave Paradise Falls.|
|80||Meet the children southwest of Paradise Falls.|
|90||Escort the children out of Paradise Falls.|
|150||Reach the slave pen and speak with the children.|
|155||Unlock the slave pen gate.|
|160||Tell the children to escape Paradise Falls.|
|170||Quest finished||Meet the children southwest of Paradise Falls.|
- It is possible to complete the mission and get the achievement by just storming Paradise Falls and rescuing the children. This can be done without getting the mission from Mayor MacCready.
- It appears that you can use the Mesmetron on the brahmin located in the slave pen which will cause it to start running through the city. If the gate to the pen is open, it will run back in automatically, otherwise it will run around the town causing the slavers to move from their assigned posts. Perhaps it's possible to herd them into the slave pen so that Rory can be moved out with out being shot by the guards, or Dogmeat could be of use in herding the brahmin to chase down the slavers.
- It is possible to mezz one or more of the slavers so that they will go crazy and shoot at their comrades. If you mezz one just inside the front door and have a Stealth Boy, it's possible to get up and mezz the minigunner. At this point, you can hide and begin mopping up the survivors.
- An additional alternative if you only want to free the kids is to mezz Forty, hide behind something to make sure he doesn't see you, and allow his fellow slavers to kill him. This way, there's already 2 or 3 dead slavers, and Forty is taken care of.
- If your speech skill is high enough or you have the Child at Heart perk, you can bypass this quest entirely by convincing Mayor MacCready that you're OK. **NOTE**: As with all speech attempts, you can save before attempting and then re-load the save until you become successful.
- For those who must successfully save Rory: Disable him through the console, walk to the entrance and re-enable him.
- Completing this quest before leading Rory to the front gate will invalidate the ability to save him and, thus, the Karma reward. Every time he is spoken to after the quest is over, he says, "Hey, talk fast, I hate it when I talk to customers," and only a "I have to go now" dialog choice is available. This can occur if you have him wait while you go and speak to Sammy (and completing the quest).
- Rory will head southwest out of Paradise Falls and you may encounter him later at Moriarty's Saloon in Megaton; however, it is just as likely that he may perish along the way due to some hostile random encounters. Following Rory will not lead you to the kids.
- Squirrel tells you that, after he and the other children have made their escape, you should meet them to the East of Paradise Falls. Actually, as the quest instructions say, the correct direction is SouthWest.
- Sammy, Squirrel (and Penny, if rescued) will be on the southwest side of Paradise Falls near the drain cover on the wasteland map. Your map-marker may not update to show where they are. Set your quest to another, then choose Rescue From Paradise again to correct this.
- Once you rescue and meet up with the kids outside Paradise Falls, you may need to talk to each one to have them start running toward Little Lamplight.
- It is possible to get Rory Maclaren to follow you as a companion. He will have no other dialog choices other than "I have to go now". To do this simply tell Rory to run for it then wait three to five hours before he is noticed by the guards but after he has already started running.
- xbox360 Interacting with Sammy in any way will cause the game to crash despite your response. This only seems to happen if you bribe Grouse for permission to enter. The quest can still be completed by killing all of the slavers and then speaking to one of the other children instead. The same applies when meeting them outside Paradise Falls. [verified]
- xbox360 It is possible for, even though you have to save Rory, he can die with no penalty. Penny will act as if he is alive and the quest will complete as normal. [verified]
- xbox360 If you choose to simply blast your way out, Rory somehow escapes from the Pulowski shelter (Even if you haven't unlocked it) and joins the fight, usually winding up dead. [verified]
- pc After the player opens the box and speaks to Rory, if you have him wait behind, leave the area and return, he may be stuck in the ground in the rubble near the box. If you've wiped out the slavers he thanks you for helping him escape and the player receives Karma as though they had taken him outside. Rory then begins to run in place in the rubble as though fleeing. If the player encounters him like this, speaking to him twice will trigger two different dialogues, one where he just thanks them for the rescue, the second where he asks them to free the kids (even if they have already been freed). This results in the player receiving positive Karma twice. [verified]
- If you kill all the slavers before talking to the children, then you might talk to Sammy and all he will say is "We'll meet you outside if you can make it" and then he won't move. Making the quest impossible to complete. [platforms tag needed]