Fallout 3 locations project
Bug Verification Project
Republic of Dave
The Republic of Dave is the only true sovereign nation in the Wasteland. The only really civilized place left in the world.”— Dave
The Republic of Dave is a small farming settlement in the far northeast corner of the Capital Wasteland that is considered by its close-knit inhabitants to be a sovereign nation-state. In earlier years it was known as the Kingdom of Tom before being taken over by its current ruler, Dave, who subsequently allowed voting and thus it became a republic.
Over the past two centuries, this tiny plot of land has been known as the Kingdom of Larry, the Republic of Stevie-Ray, Billsylvania, the New Republic of Stevie-Ray, and most recently the Kingdom of Tom, after Dave's father.
In his earlier days, Dave was exiled from the Kingdom of Tom and wandered the Wastes, gaining experience and maturing into a deadly mercenary. He returned, instigating a rebellion that eventually overthrew his father Tom, and renamed the Kingdom the "Republic of Dave".
Despite its small size, the Republic's economy seems to prosper due to, increasingly rare, trading with the caravans. It also has its own agricultural sector to the left of the entrance.
The Republic of Dave MilitaryEdit
The Immigration BureauEdit
You cannot become a citizen of the Republic, but for asylum (the right to stay temporarily) you can first tell Dave that you are looking for asylum or for a "special asylum" you can become a "refugee" within the country, although this incurs an immigration fee (250 caps, or a hunting rifle in kind).
The Tourism OfficeEdit
Answers any questions an Ambassador of the Wasteland is likely to ask upon arriving.
Bureau of Davelike ActivitiesEdit
Unknown role, but is led by Dave.
- Dave wishes to remind visitors that there is a museum, school, Capitol building, and men's and women's separate sleeping quarters which you cannot sleep in.
- The school here is one of only three known active schools in the entire Capital Wasteland, the others being in Vault 101 and Little Lamplight.
- The children are taught that Dave is better than an average human being, notably: "As a baby, he never cried and his poop didn't stink."
When the Lone Wanderer finds this small fenced compound, Dave is 'president', but the player can try to change this in the Election Day unmarked quest. The elections are a fairly important time in the Republic of Dave, though it does seem to be biased (Dave being the only Presidential candidate). The people blindly believe that Dave is their rightful leader and will vote for him unless convinced otherwise with Speech.
The law of the Republic of Dave is also another crucial element: everyone should refer to Dave as "Mr. President" and treat him with the utmost respect or else they will have 24 hours to leave the Republic, lest they be executed.
The New Republic of DaveEdit
If he loses the elections, Dave informs the player that he is heading to Old Olney to make "The New Republic of Dave". For the new republic to establish, the player must go to Old Olney and clear out the deathclaws in the area. Dave will arrive at the ruined city and sit in the area where the wastelander bodies are found. When spoken to, Dave will inform you that you are in the New Republic of Dave, and order you to leave. Speaking to him twice more will make him hostile towards the player.
The Republic is located in the northeast corner of the Capital Wasteland, nearly in the top-right corner of the map, east of Old Olney.
The Republic of Dave is a remote, single, albeit extended, family community located far to the northeast corner of the Capital Wasteland map. The compound is comprised of four primary buildings, an outhouse, and two brahmin. This fenced-in area has only one recognized access gate.
- Dave, president
- Rosie, his first wife
- Jessica, his second wife
- Bob, Dave's eldest son and second in command
- Rachael, Dave's daughter
- Mary, Dave's daughter
- Ralph, Dave's son
- Flower, Dave's daughter
- Shawna, teacher and curator of the Museum of Dave; with enough speech you can convince her to buy your loot.
- Ol' Painless in a safe in the Republic of Dave capitol building or on Dave's person.
- A Nuka-Cola Quantum on top of the safe in the capitol building. Taking it counts as theft.
- The Bobblehead - Perception can be found in the Republic of Dave Museum.
- Two pre-War books in the museum.
- There is a giant version of the hot plate on one of the shelves in the Museum of Dave.
- After you receive the safe code, you can loot everything in it except the caps. Removing the caps will make the people turn hostile towards you.
- You can tell anyone in the Republic of Dave, "Your republic is forfeit, prepare to be reclaimed by the wasteland!" This will cause them to take you for a Communist, and either attack you or run away.
- According to the residents, Earth is at least fifty times the size of a model globe.
- If you talk to any of Dave's children, they will refer to him as "President Daddy".
- It is possible to jump over the fence and into The Republic of Dave, but this will cause all residents to turn hostile towards you.
- You can get in by using the Child at Heart perk and speaking to Flower.
- In the Museum of Dave there is a brahmin skull that the residents, told by Dave, believe to be a Deathclaw skull.
- If you enter the Republic without having dialog with Bob triggered (i.e., if he is fighting an enemy outside the fence), the residents will turn hostile.
- This is the most North-Eastern location on the Fallout 3 map.
- Three Dog, if you fix the Galaxy News Radio dish, says you can hear him from the Republic of Dave, referencing how far away it is.
Republic of Dave appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The lead designer is on record saying that the Republic of Dave was not inspired by anything in particular; it simply struck them as a funny idea for a location to visit.
- pc ps3 xbox360 If you have either Fawkes or Sergeant RL-3 as your companion, it may be best to have them wait outside as there have been cases of either companion becoming hostile to and killing all the adult non-player characters in the Republic of Dave unprovoked. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes Rosie, Jessica, or Bob will not vote if they are standing in front of the ballot box, even if they have already agreed to vote. This results in the quest being broken and the only way of fixing this problem is to load a save before you activated the quest. [verified]
- pc xbox360 ps3 On approach to the camp for the first time, a random creature can spawn outside the gates causing a resident (usually Bob) to go outside and fight it. If they die no one else in the camp will be the wiser. After telling all of the remaining residents to go vote you have to tell Dave "the results are in" to get him to go the ballot box and finish the quest. If anyone is dead he'll simply repeat "* insert dead resident* hasn't voted yet..." and the quest will be broken. The solution is to load a save before you activated the quest or before the non-player character was killed. [verified]
- ps3 If you shoot or kill any member of the Republic of Dave, the town will remain hostile to you for the rest of the game. [verification needed]