Regulator HQ site overview
Oh no, we're spread all around. The few here just assist me in organizing things here at the headquarters.”— Sonora Cruz
The coordinates for this location are only given to you once you have the Lawbringer perk. It is impossible to get inside without said perk as the door will be locked and will require a key. Also, the Regulator HQ marker will not appear on your map, even if you go right up to the door.
Inside the Regulator HQ, three Regulators can be found along with Sonora Cruz who will pay for the fingers you retrieve from dead bodies of evil non-player characters (if you kill them and have the Lawbringer perk). The bounty is normally five caps per finger, but players with a very good Karma rating (above 750) will receive ten caps. Outside the HQ stand four brahmin which can sometimes be seen being tended to by Sonora or wandering alone.
- There is a copy of Guns and Bullets under the bed next to Sonora Cruz.
- There is a Nuka-Cola Quantum in the room with the tub, in one of the locker's open compartments.
- There is a copy of Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual in a truck on the highway east of the Regulator HQ.
- After meeting Sonora Cruz for the first time she may not be in the HQ. She can be found in front of the HQ a few steps or somewhere far in the Capital Wasteland.
- Regardless of whether your Karma is good or evil, Regulators will be holding named bounty notices against you in their inventories, but will not attack when you enter the HQ.
- Fast traveling to the Regulator HQ will cause enemies to appear and engage in battle. These attacks are likely to provoke Sonora Cruz into fleeing and running out of the Regulator HQ building. This can be extremely frustrating as she will flee some distance away from the Regulator HQ before approaching the HQ again after some time (but not entering), forcing the player to search for her in order to receive payment for fingers. Luckily she will not continue to wander but will remain in the same place unless forced to flee further by nearby enemies.
- Giant radscorpions, yao guai or deathclaws may spawn near the HQ and kill all the brahmins outside the base. Various robots may also spawn just behind the fence when fast-traveling. They are hostile and will attack both you and the brahmin, they may also cause regulators to flee.
- It is possible for Sonora Cruz to run away permanently, most likely caused by enemies spawned when fast-traveling to this location. You will still be able to collect bounties on fingers if you can locate her but, being outside the protection of the Regulator HQ she is susceptible to being attacked and knocked unconscious by any hostile creature. At random points, a message may appear stating, "Sonora Cruz is unconscious".
- If a robot outside of the Regulator HQ spots you, and if not killed, will follow you. If you go into the Regulator HQ with the robot following you, it will come into the Regulator HQ where it will kill the Regulators if not stopped.
- Reloading the autosave as you enter the Regulator HQ will usually solve the enemy-spawning/regulators-fleeing issue - so long as you did not follow Sonora Cruz outside and over-write it.
- If you find Sonora Cruz after she flees, you can chase her back to the Regulators HQ. Attacking her will make her flee and if she runs the wrong way, knock her unconscious. When she wakes up, she won't care that you attacked her. Once in front of the HQ she will flee from you back inside.
The Regulator HQ appears only in Fallout 3.
- ps3 On the east wall of the first floor, between two lockers, there is a wooden panel. At the bottom of the panel there are two empty whiskey bottles which can't be picked up, even with significant attempts to use camera & perspective tricks. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Placing a waypoint near this location and then trying to follow it on the compass will result in you facing the wrong way. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes when entering the HQ, a deathclaw or albino radscorpion may spawn inside. Simply exiting then entering again seems to solve the problem. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 As mentioned above in the Notes section, Sonora Cruz may flee from enemies outside the Regulator HQ and disappear permanently. If she does come back however, she may constantly be stuck in 'flee' mode, and attempting to interact with her will result in the message "Sonora Cruz is fleeing" making it impossible to interact with her, or receive rewards for fingers. [verified]