Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Our main camp is up in Red Rock Canyon, but we don't allow just anyone to come on in. The NCR can't touch us there - too many places for us to ambush them. We see their scouts poking around once in awhile, but they keep their distance.”— Melissa Lewis, member of the Great Khans.
Red Rock Canyon is a location,which serves as a home to the Great Khans, in the north-west of the Mojave Wasteland, west of Chance's map. Before the Great War, the area was a 'Southwest Commonwealth Conservation Area'.
Pre-War, Red Rock Canyon was a popular tourist attraction. Remnants of Pre-War campsites and ancient petroglyphs still dot the area even though it has been completely dominated by the Great Khans. The Great Khans have their camps and outposts spread throughout the area, though most of them are concentrated in one area near the red rocks themselves. The Great Khans relocated here after the Bitter Springs Massacre, where the NCR "accidentally" killed a large number of non-combatants during an otherwise normal skirmish between the two groups. Today, the Great Khans while away their time, dreaming of past glories while resorting to petty drug dealing and battles by proxy (the Fiends) with the NCR.
Red Rock Canyon consists of several gers surrounding a central arena where the Great Khans perform their initiation ritual. There is also a longhouse where the leader, Papa Khan, holds court. To the northwest is a steep pass that leads to a cazador nest and the remnants bunker. There are also a lot of cazadores in the pass itself.
The canyon has three entrances, It is best reached from the east. To get there, follow the road west from Whittaker Farmstead, or Poseidon gas station. It can be found by starting at the Remnants bunker and heading south and a little west or north from Spring Mt. Ranch State Park. Both secondary approaches are tight canyons full of cazadors.
- Papa Khan, Leader of the Great Khans
- Karl, Emissary to the Great Khans from Caesar's Legion.
- Regis, Papa Khan's Advisor
- Jack, Papa Khan's advisor
- Diane, Papa Khan's advisor
- Jerry the Punk, Poet who can't seem to pass his initiation correctly
- Great Khan armorer, Weapons/armor merchant of the Great Khans. Located in Great Khan armory, accessed via cellar door behind destroyed house at the mouth of Red Rock Canyon.
- Jessup, if the peaceful solution to Boulder City Showdown is chosen.
- Anders, if cut down during Aba Daba Honeymoon.
- When Boone is a companion, he may cause the Great Khans to turn hostile.
- Sometimes a cazador will spawn in the initiation circle, it will attack and most likely kill the nearest Great Khan.
Red Rock Canyon appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
Red Rock Canyon is an actual location near Las Vegas, Nevada. It is famous for its vivid red rock formations, including a thrust fault that forms a bright red line between two layers of gray rock (also depicted in the game).
- xbox360 pc Papa Khan may leave the door to his room open but the player character can still lockpick it.
- ps3 xbox360 Red Rock Canyon may not appear as a found location on the Pip-Boy map at all. To fix this you must travel to a nearby place using fast travel and then head back to Red Rock Canyon.
- ps3 If you enter the outhouse in Red Rock Canyon, the game may not allow you to exit the outhouse and force you to load a previous save file.