Red Rock Canyon
Our main camp is up in Red Rock Canyon, but we don't allow just anyone to come on in. The NCR can't touch us there - too many places for us to ambush them. We see their scouts poking around once in awhile, but they keep their distance.”— Melissa, a member of the Great Khans.
Red Rock Canyon is a location that serves as a refuge to the Great Khans, in the north-west of the Mojave Wasteland, west of Chance's map. Before the Great War, the area was reserved as a "Southwest Commonwealth Conservation Area".
Pre-War, Red Rock Canyon was a popular tourist attraction. Remnants of Pre-War campsites and ancient petroglyphs still dot the area even though it has been completely dominated by the Great Khans. The Great Khans have their camps and outposts spread throughout the area, but most are in one area near the red rocks. The Great Khans relocated here after the Bitter Springs Massacre, where the NCR killed a large number of non-combatants.
Today, the Great Khans while away their time, dreaming of past glories while resorting to petty drug dealing and battles by proxy (the Fiends) with the NCR.
While the canyon has three entrances, it is most accessible from the east. Follow the road west from Whittaker Farmstead, or Poseidon gas station. The widest entrance can be found heading north from Spring Mt. Ranch State Park.
Red Rock Canyon consists of several gers, or yurts, surrounding a central arena where the Great Khans perform their indoctrination rituals. There is also a longhouse where Papa Khan, leader of the Great Khans, holds court.
- Papa Khan, leader of the Great Khans
- Karl, emissary to the Great Khans from Caesar's Legion.
- Regis, one of Papa Khan's advisors and second in command.
- Jack, drug maker and 60's throwback. One of Papa Khan's advisors.
- Diane, drug dealer and one of Papa Khan's advisors.
- Jerry the Punk, poet who can't seem to pass his initiation correctly.
- Great Khan armorer, weapons/armor merchant of the Great Khans. Located in Great Khan armory, accessed via cellar door behind destroyed house at the mouth of Red Rock Canyon. Can be traded with if the Courier's Great Khan reputation is "Accepted" or more.
- Jessup, if the peaceful solution to Boulder City Showdown is chosen.
- Anders, if cut down during Aba Daba Honeymoon.
- Great Khans - people of the Great Khan tribe.
- When Boone is a companion, he may cause the Great Khans to turn hostile.
- Sometimes a cazador will spawn in the initiation circle, it will attack and most likely kill the nearest Great Khan.
- While the western exit from the canyon may seem a one-way road due to the sheer drop on the Red Rock Canyon side, it it possible to bypass the drop and leave the canyon that way. Near the mouth of the other (southern) canyon entrance, there is a ridge that will end above a point just on the other side of the drop. This ridge is easily traversable. The drop beyond that is a little more difficult, however, and may require some work. There are also several cazadores lurking just above this area.
Red Rock Canyon appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
Red Rock Canyon is an actual location near Las Vegas, Nevada. It is famous for its vivid red rock formations, including a thrust fault that forms a bright red line between two layers of gray rock (also depicted in the game).
- xbox360 pc Papa Khan may leave the door to his room open but the player character can still lockpick it. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 pc Red Rock Canyon may not appear as a found location on the Pip-Boy map at all. To fix this you must travel to a nearby place using fast travel and then head back to Red Rock Canyon. [verified]
- ps3 If you enter the outhouse in Red Rock Canyon, the game may not allow you to exit the outhouse and force you to load a previous save file. [verified]