Get the formula and meet us at the Red Rocket [sic] Tricycle Factory as we planned. Our buyer is promising lots of caps, so I want to see some hustle! This could take our gang to the big time. Sudden-Death Overtime forever.”— Goalie Ledoux's orders to Winger Mercier
The Red Racer factory is a pre-War Red Racer tricycle factory on the outskirts of southwestern Washington, D.C., northeast of the Nuka-Cola plant and south-southwest of Grayditch in the Capital Wasteland. The medium-sized building is inhabited by feral ghouls, a human and super mutants, and has two interior sections.
The factory's door faces east, toward a partially enclosed parking lot. There's a loading dock on the south side of the building where an overturned container of irradiated barrels has spilled into another parking lot below. A few raiders occupy the area; expect to see one to the east on the upper parking lot and a couple in the lower southern parking lot any time you travel here.
An alley between the buildings across the parking lot to the east is the site of what appears to be a raiders-only shop with some decent loot. There are also some skill books at the scavenger's bridge to the north, but they must be stolen.
This area is a fairly complex maze of assembly lines and catwalks, with a few scattered offices and a large number of toolboxes, workbenches and components for crafted items. The quickest route through is to follow the hall west from the entrance, keep moving west and north until you can go up a stairway, then head through the covered passage southwest directly to the CEO Offices' door. Careful exploration will uncover two safes and two well-hidden skill books. One safe is located in an office full of cubicles directly west from the entrance. The other can be found in the eastern most room, on the north side of the complex, on the highest level of catwalks, also in an office full of cubicles. Both safes have "easy" locks.
Feral ghouls are found throughout, and high level characters with Broken Steel will encounter a number of powerful reavers. Each time you kill one of these ghouls you'll hear an electronic "chirp" similar to a mine prior to exploding. The head of the dead ghoul will then burst, if it has not already been destroyed.
The offices section is smaller and more straightforward, and is protected by several super mutants (up to masters depending on level) with the same head-bursting effect as the ghouls. Characters with the ability to hack (average) computer terminals will be able to find information on this phenomenon, and the terminal closest to the entrance has the option to "Disable Chips," killing any remaining super mutants and ghouls except the caged ghoul Stefan.
The Surgeon, a mad scientist armed with a missile launcher, is responsible for the brain implants in the creatures you've been fighting. This non-player character is hostile, but may be fooled by wearing the ghoul mask. The Surgeon has the key to two safes and a cell nearby. The cell holds Stefan, a prized glowing one subject.
- In an alley to the east, the home of a heavy weapon-wielding raider and three guard dogs: Guns and Bullets on a shelf, and U.S. Army: 30 Handy Flamethrower Recipes next to the footlocker near the bed. A considerable number of food items, drugs, and crafting items are also present.
- Grognak the Barbarian - next to a dead wastelander inside the overturned container of irradiated barrels to the south. The corpse will disappear over time.
- Ledoux's hockey mask - worn by Goalie Ledoux. See the unmarked quest Just for the Taste of It.
- In a Dot's Diner in the curve of the road to the west, there is another U.S. Army: 30 Handy Flamethrower Recipes.
- Dean's Electronics - on top of the machinery in the first assembly room north of the main entrance. Jump up onto the barrels to the west of the machine to get on top and find the book. There is a frag mine hiding under some junk.
- An unusually large teddy bear is riding an enormous tricycle suspended from the ceiling near the copy of Dean's Electronics on the factory floor. This teddy bear is approximately 2.56 times larger than normal ones. When you stack the large teddy bear with others, or drop it more than once, it will turn into a normal-sized version.
- D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine - under an upturned bucket between two generators high on the east wall of a northeastern assembly room near the only room with a toilet and sink upstairs. The location is roughly south of the room jutting out the corner northeast on the map, the height of that room south again. To reach the area, you must drop from the overhead catwalk - accessible from nearby rooms.
- A bottlecap mine is located on a workbench in a hallway adjacent to the NE corner of the assembly room located in the center of the building.
- 17 harmonicas are scattered throughout the floor.
- Nikola Tesla and You - on a shelf behind an Average locked door. Right near the entrance from the factory floor.
- The Surgeon's lab coat - worn by The Surgeon.
- 1 Nuka-Cola Quantum - inside Stefan's cage.
- 1 Stealth Boy inside the wall safe next to the terminal in the lab area.
- In a factory floor bathroom, there is a stall with a fire hydrant instead of the usual toilet.
- In the CEO Offices, if you listen closely you will hear the strange, eerie whispers that are heard in the Virulent Underchambers in Dunwich Building. The voices say "Alhazred!" and "G'Yeth!".
- Random encounters occur to the west and north.
- It is possible that the Sudden-Death Overtime gang may become hostile before speaking with them.
- The building can occasionally become glitched. This is usually after attempting to drag a corpse. After dragging one, a dragging noise can be heard while the player is walking.
- Although the entrance of the building is in the east when you're outside it is in the south when you're inside.
This Red Racer factory appears only in Fallout 3.