Hmm. Tempting offer, since this place gets boring. Tell ya what. Standard rates. 100 caps, and you've got a deal.”— Ian
- Find Ian in the guard house in Shady Sands.
- Pay him 100 bottle caps for him to join, or convince him to do so for free, through a Speech check.
Go to the house in the northeast of Shady Sands and talk to Ian. There are two ways of convincing him to join the Vault Dweller:
- With an Intelligence of at least 6, he can be offered "a piece of the action." and if the Speech check is passed, he will join for free.
- Paying him 100 bottle caps up front lets him join.
- Stealing from companions is not treated as a crime or hostile action, so Ian's money can be stolen back if needed.
- The XP reward is the same, regardless of the method chosen.
- This is not given as a quest by anyone, but it is something that can be done for additional experience and a new companion.
- With an Intelligence of 1, Ian cannot be recruited easily. A minimum Intelligence of 2 (maximum 4) will require the use of Mentats.