Hmm. Tempting offer, since this place gets boring. Tell ya what. Standard rates. 100 caps, and you've got a deal.”— Ian
- Find Ian in the guard house in Shady Sands.
- Pay him 100 bottle caps for him to join you or convince him to join you for free, through a Speech check.
- If the Vault Dweller's Intelligence is 6 or greater, you can offer him "a piece of the action." and if you pass the Speech check, he will join you for free.
- You can pay him 100 bottle caps to join you.
- It's important to note that when Ian asks the Vault Dweller for their name, that you do not respond in a rude way, otherwise Ian will refuse to talk to you again from now on, meaning you cannot recruit him.
- Stealing from your companions is not treated as a crime or hostile action, so if you weren't able to convince Ian, give him the money and steal it right back.
- The XP reward is the same, regardless of the method chosen.
- This is not given as a quest by anyone, but it is something you can do for additional experience and a new companion.
- If the Vault Dweller's intelligence is one you will not be able to recruit Ian. Intelligence of two or three will require the use of Mentats.