Recover your stolen car
The Chop Shop Boys eye their prize...
Look, why are you wasting my time? If you ain't got the chips, then you ain't got no business here. I got better things to do than be talking to your cheap ass.”— T-Ray
The first time you drive your car into New Reno's Virgin Street, Jules will notice it, saying, "That a car?! Daaaamn." If you leave Virgin Street by foot your car will be missing when you return. You may do one of the following:
- Talk to Cody (the child in front of the Cat's Paw brothel). Ask him about your car, and he'll take you to the Chop Shop. (Reward: 500 XP)
- If you ask Cody who stole your car he will glance at Jules across the street. If you then leave the area, something bad will happen to Cody by the time you return to Virgin Street. To prevent this something from happening, ask Jules to take you to your car and threaten him not to harm Cody. (Reward: +5 Karma)
- Talk to Jules. At first he'll say that he doesn't know anything, but you'll be able to convince him to lead you to the location of the Chop Shop, a new area in New Reno.
- Walk over to where your car was parked and observe the tracks on the ground. You then have the option to follow the tracks to the Chop Shop.
Rewards for both 1 and 2 can be collected at any time, even if the player already been to Chop Shop.
At the Chop Shop you'll find several non-player characters, all armed with melee weapons, and the owner of the Chop Shop, T-Ray. For recovering the car with one of the following non-violent solutions the Chosen One is rewarded with 750 XP:
- Pay $1000 for the car ($750 or $500 if you pass a Barter check). For $500 ($300 with decent Barter) extra, T-Ray will upgrade the trunk. Money can be stolen back from T-Ray's inventory.
- Inform T-Ray you're working for Bishop (requires high INT and CHR/Speech if you aren't), and you're there to get "his" car. With this you can obtain free 50 small energy cells "for Bishop", and ask for them every 2 weeks. T-Ray will also upgrade the car's trunk for free, as it's "the Bishop's car and he'll let him live".
- Female characters have the option to "engage in personal liaison" for the car and the trunk upgrade.
- Sneak inside the car and drive off without doing any of the above. This doesn't always work, and you may end up having to fight. This will prevent you from receiving the trunk upgrade, but with very low Intelligence (less than 4) it may be your only option.
If everything else fails, the Chosen One will have to kill anyone trying to prevent getting Highwayman back.
- Cody is very easy to scare off. If you talk to him under any of the following conditions he will run away and you won't be able to speak with him anymore:
- It is possible to wait for Cody to calm down, allowing you to talk to him again, but only if you remain on Virgin Street for the duration of his running about.
- Telling your companions to wait around or in front of the car, or even blocking off the parking lot, will not prevent the car from being stolen.