Consider this place your home away from home. If you're ever in the neighborhood again, you're more than welcome to take shelter here.”— Reilly, after the player has helped her Rangers
It's probably easiest to reach by entering Anacostia Crossing station at Anacostia Crossing (just north of Rivet City) and exiting at Seward Square (straight east, don't go down to the tracks). From the exit of the metro, head north past the Cornucopia grocery store and take the first alley to the east. Follow it around and, after it hooks north, take the east passage and it will be on your left.
The compound is within a partially destroyed building and is guarded by a camera and a computer terminal. Once the player meets Reilly or saves the Rangers in the quest Reilly's Rangers, a simple interaction with the terminal unlocks the doors to the Ranger compound.
All of the items in the compound can be taken without incurring any negative Karma. If the player turns left after entering the compound, and then goes straight ahead, they'll enter the bed room/mess hall. There is a mattress on the floor on the right which you can use, and the locker against the wall on the right is safe to store gear in. This compound makes for an effective safe house.
All of the members of Reilly's Rangers whom you managed to save from the quest of the same name can be present in the Ranger Compound afterwards:
- A Dean's Electronics skill book can be found on the generator in the pantry. The book may have fallen off the generator and gotten stuck inside/underneath. A grenade may get it out.
- Even after Reilly gives the door code, picking the hard locked compound door is still an option to gain XP with no Karma loss.
- If the player turns off the radio and turns up the volume in the "sleep hall" they can hear a gurgling sound.
- Surprisingly, the coffee machine here actually seems to work, but the player can not get coffee from it.
- On top of the compound, in the highest reachable floor of the building, are five ammunition boxes. Two of these boxes require a Lockpick skill of 50 to open. There are also two first-aid boxes, one of which is also locked and requires 50 Lockpick.
- The building has two additional floors which are not linked by a staircase. The 4th floor contains three Nuka-Cola vending machines and can be reached by stacking of objects and jumping. See the discussion page for ways to get there. The 5th floor has nothing of interest but provides a decent view of the area.
- If the player killed Donovan (i.e. to get his unique helmet) or any other Ranger after the Reilly's Rangers quest, all Rangers will be hostile.
The Ranger compound appears only in Fallout 3.