There's a move we have in the Rangers for knocking an opponent off his feet. Saved my butt a bunch of times, maybe it will for you too.”— Ranger Andy
It's acquired by being successful in a speech challenge from Ranger Andy after he tells you about his multiple leg injuries. It can also be acquired by completing an unmarked quest which requires you to check on Ranger Station Charlie and tell him what happened there.
This perk grants the character the ability to do a special attack by simultaneously holding the back and the attack key. If done properly, the character will do a special move that knocks the enemy back and down, incapacitating them for a few seconds (during which the character can feel free to land more blows on them or enter V.A.T.S and do the "stomp" special move).
- When playing in the standard first person view, the animation is a palm strike. But when you switch to third person, it's a leg sweep, which seems to have a longer range.
- Whatever Unarmed weapon the Courier has equipped is the damage applied to the attack even if used in the third-person leg sweep.
- You can also learn the move by checking on Ranger Station Charlie for him and telling him the legion ambushed them. You not only get the move, but NCR fame and 200 caps as well.
- You cannot perform this move when both of your legs are crippled, or when you are over-encumbered.
- pc ps3 xbox360 The attack may stop working altogether at random moments. This may be fixed by restarting the console/game. [verified]
- pc Sometimes the knockdown effect does not trigger, though unlike the above bug, successive attempts may succeed. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 When you learn the attack: After a successful speech check and dialogue ends, you will get a message box stating you have learned the Ranger Takedown. After acknowledging the message, the game will fadeout/fade in and upon initiating dialogue with Ranger Andy, you will get the message box a second time and upon acknowledgement the game will freeze. On PS3 the PS button will still go to the X-media bar, allowing you to quit the game from there rather than shutting off the whole console (also on PC). You could avoid this bug by asking directly what happened to his leg, passing the Speech check, exiting the dialogue and re-initiating the dialogue OR following the dialogue branch WITHOUT asking about his leg and exiting the dialogue. This bug may have something to do with Ranger Andy requesting you to check on Ranger Station Charlie the first time you exit dialogue with him normally. Since the speech check automatically ends dialogue doing it the first time you speak with him may mess with the games scripting, causing the freeze) [verified]
- xbox360 When using this on dead characters repeatedly, it can complete the challenge Knocked Up. [verified]
- xbox360 When performing a ranger takedown on an enemy in a corner or similarly clipped area while the enemy has already been knocked down, the enemy will sometimes get stuck briefly, or on rarer occasions they may get launched across the room. This usually happens indoors and has been heavily tested with ED-E and Boone. [verified]