REPCONN Aerospace (Rocket Engineering and Production COmpaNy of Nevada) was a company based in Nevada that specialized in rocket manufacture, primarily for the U.S. government. Their headquarters and test site can still be found in the Mojave Wasteland.
REPCONN corporation was an up-and-coming regional aerospace firm, and keen contributor to Las Vegas political campaigns. They operated a test facility in the Black Mountains to the south (much to the chagrin of the local populations, who long complained of the “REPCONN bombs” landing in their fields and destroying property). The company was purchased by the giant RobCo company just before the Great War, in a hostile takeover. New security countermeasures were installed, and more militaristic plans were undertaken, especially after the discovery of a special radioactive igniting agent that interested senior RobCo management staff.
It was formed in 2054 after the famous Delta IX rocket was developed and launched. Its original purpose was to develop orbital propulsion systems. Its first line of research was into nuclear fission based propulsion. This was soon succeeded by plasma based propulsion.
The company was seen as having great potential. So the two corporate giants, Poseidon Energy and RobCo Industries, made attempts to buy out the company. While the former's bid was seen off by a decisive action by REPCONN's board of directors under the lead of Vice President Leonard Steeple and Chief Financial Officer Julia Masters, the latter succeeded.
Steeple tried to rally the board again and sought help from Masters. While Julia officially agreed to support him, she was working with General Manager Piers Isley to undermine Steeple's position in the company and get the board of directors to give the Vice President a vote of no confidence, after he refused to even consider selling his part of the company, in order to maintain their independence and integrity.
In 2075, Steeple stepped down from his position as vice president as the board voted against him and the company was acquired by RobCo Industries, following a disastrous accident during the test of REPCONN's newest type of rocket. Carl Rook became the next vice president and his first move was to enhance security around the company and initiate a weapons research program for Colonel Moretti of the US military. Later, Steve Reynolds, the cause of the accident (he pushed the R&D team too hard and cut corners) forced Senior Engineer Martin Neimeyer, who was aware of Reynold's role in the incident, to resign.
REPCONN and its parent company RobCo took major hits to their public image sometime after the latter's acquisition of the former. In a promotional effort, REPCONN rolled out a line of rocket souvenirs filled with liquid and an actual rocket igniting agent to make them glow. Some pre-War children opened them and drank them, thinking they were filled with some kind of Nuka-Cola, afflicting them with the REPCONN Shakes condition. The souvenirs were dumped in bulk and internal problems arose in the wake of public outrage over the incident.
By 2076, the Q-35 matter modulator project (based on REPCONN's salvaged proprietary plasma rocket propulsion system) was underway. The first fully working prototype was completed using stolen Project Semele schematics, acquired by Carl Rook's sources inside Poseidon Energy.
The company's name is misspelled as REPCON in some of the posters.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- REPCONN is a reference to the real company PEPCON, which until the 1990s, operated a space fuel production facility also in Henderson, Nevada, near Las Vegas. The PEPCON facility was destroyed in a fire and subsequent massive explosions of improperly stored space shuttle fuel oxidizer.
- The REPCONN logo also resembles the font style and logo of Boeing, a major defense/aerospace manufacturer.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas Strategy Guide
- ↑ REPCONN_Headquarters#"Ready, Set, Launch!": "You may have heard wild stories about rocket flights and their impact* on nearby towns and communities, but REPCONN feels you can't put a price of space exploration - after all, Rocketeers, you do want to go into space someday... don't you?."
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide
- ↑ REPCONN_Headquarters#"Green Bean": "One sounds like it belongs if mentioned on the news, and make news it did... featuring REPCONN's plasma engine, it was soooo newsworthy that we decided to take the Quantum Matter Modulation unit out and see if we could use it for non-explosive uses."
- ↑ REPCONN_headquarters_terminal_entries#Julia Masters' terminal
- ↑ REPCONN_headquarters_terminal_entries#Inter-office Correspondence #345776: "My name is Carl Rook, as I'm sure you can tell. I'm your new Vice President. Until recently I was at RobCo, working in their security division, but now that your family and my family are on big family, we thought it would be nice if they sent an older sibling over. Now I'm going to do as much as I can not to interfere with your daily operations here, my principal concern is going to be security. I hear that you all have been adapting well to some new security procedures. Well we've got some new kids to join your little family here. You'll see some friendly androids patrolling around the main building. As long as everyone remember to wear their badges at all times and make sure they are properly registered with security, these friendly androids will stay out of your way."
- ↑ REPCONN_headquarters_terminal_entries#Inter-office Correspondence #3458503: "I think you should have everything you need to complete the Q-35. Colonel Moretti is expecting results with this project, I don't need to tell you what a favorable evaluation from his desk will do for all our stock portfolios. "
- ↑ REPCONN_test_site_terminal_entries#Re: Retirement: "Well, I can't say that I'm surprised. You were a devious worm when we started here all those years ago. I guess someone has to take the blame, and it may as well be your "old friend." That waste spill never would have happened if you didn't push the team so hard, or if you paid for actual competent personnel. I'll be happy to take my retirement package. Good riddance to you and this forsaken place. "
- ↑ CliffBriscoe.txt#CliffBriscoeSouvenirInfo: "They're scale replicas of the real thing. Very detailed. Got a liquid in them that makes them glow. From what I hear, REPCONN used to give them out on tours of their HQ up in Henderson. But I guess they had to stop after the first few kids thought they were filled with Nuka Cola and drank it down. The papers had a name for the condition and everything. They called it the "REPCONN Shakes."
- ↑ REPCONN_headquarters_terminal_entries#Inter-office Correspondence #3458503: "One of my contacts at Poseidon energy found the specs for the canceled SEMELE plasma rifle. I'm sending them over to your team. From what I can tell they've managed to resolve the matter conversion issue you've been having with the Heisenberg Compensation Field. Combined with the data from the sabotaged launch, I think you should have everything you need to complete the Q-35."