| ||For the various forms of water that appear in the Fallout series, see Water.|
The Mojave Wasteland has multiple natural sources of pure, non-radioactive water, and as a result the player encounters clean water more often than in the Capital Wasteland, where most of the water is radioactive.
Purified water can also be bought from several merchants, including Tapper, the Kings member who guards the water pump in Freeside, Lupe at the Grub n' Gulp rest stop, and William Farber, the NCR chef in Camp McCarran. The player can also fill most empty bottles at The Sink at Big MT to create purified water. Old World Blues (add-on)
- Cactus water is a crafting recipe which enables the player to collect purified water from desert plants.
- Mass purified water yields 4 units and can be distilled from 5 units of dirty water by using surgical tubing and 2 glass pitchers.
Cactus water (1)
dirty water (5)
glass pitcher (2)
surgical tubing (1)
- After retrieving the Sink personalities' upgrades, the player has the option to receive purified water from the Sink.
- Although the player can craft purified water at a campfire with Prickly pear fruit and Empty soda bottles, the ending world model is that of purified water, not the soda bottle.
- Though purified water crafted from prickly pear fruit should actually be sweet, as it came from fruit, the game does not treat it as such.
Behind the scenesEdit
Each bottle of purified water features the text "H²O" hand written on the label on the side of the bottle. This format is incorrect (at least according to IUPAC nomenclature), as in chemical formula numbers are written in subscript (Xy) and not in superscript (Xy). If read literally, the chemical formula H²O would mean there is one hydrogen and one oxygen isotope that contains two neutrons (instead of the standard eight). This would leave the oxygen extremely unstable and radioactive with a half life that would be so small that it would not be measurable.