I have to put on a brave face as long as there were still people counting on me. That's the only reason I kept going.”
Preston Garvey originally enrolled with the Minutemen under Colonel Hollis at the age of seventeen. An avid believer in the espoused justice of the Minutemen cause, Preston rose through their ranks to become an officer under the direct command of Hollis himself.
Regrettably, as Preston states, the Minutemen settlements grew complacent. Freed from the greater concerns of the erstwhile dangers of the Commonwealth, settlements increasingly neglected their obligations to the collective in favor of petty self-interests.
In 2287, Sturges - an inhabitant of the influential trading hub at Quincy - requested the aid of the Minutemen after having heard one of Mama Murphy’s visions, which foresaw the town being surrounded and massacred (the terminal of a Quincy shopkeeper indicates that the other townsfolk saw Mama Murphy as a burnt-out drug addict; but Sturges went behind his fellow citizens to invoke the protection of the Minutemen). Preston joined Hollis on a mission to rescue Quincy, where they found the Gunners besieging it.
The Minutemen dispersed the Gunner lines and were welcomed by the battle-weary citizens of Quincy while the Gunners temporarily retreated. The Minutemen quickly moved to fortify the town, but their efforts proved insufficient as, according to a terminal in the northwestern part of the town, the Gunners reformed their lines and relentlessly probed the town's defenses for weaknesses.
The last recording in the terminal indicates that an ex-Minutemen officer named Clint revealed himself to Colonel Hollis as the leader of the invading force. Hollis notes extreme anger at this betrayal, while the terminals of the citizens express confusion and frustration. Clint sought to establish terms of surrender for Quincy and its defenders; these terms were summarily rejected by Hollis.
While the subsequent events are not explicitly recorded in text, the outcome for the Minutemen is broadly established by dialogue with Preston and various other wastelanders: the Minutemen requested support, which did not arrive; the Gunners overwhelmed the defenders and murdered nearly all of the civilians; Col. Hollis, the linchpin of the long-dwindling Minutemen cause, died fighting.
The event is known as the Quincy Massacre, and it catalyzed the disintegration of the remaining Minutemen settlements.
Consequently, Preston gathered the few remaining Quincy civilians and loyal Minutemen and fled to Jamaica Plain. However, they were eventually caught up to by Clint's Gunners, who killed some of the settlers and drove the rest from their camp. The refugees next moved to Lexington. Regrettably, as Preston testifies, Lexington was filled with feral ghouls; the hardships of the town gradually whittled the group's numbers down to just over ten. Eventually the group moved to Concord where they took shelter in the Museum of Freedom, only to find themselves under the constant predation of raiders.
By the time the Sole Survivor arrives to help Preston, he is the temporary leader of the Minutemen. His group numbers only five - a mere fraction of the original twenty who escaped Quincy under his guidance.
Preston hopes to rebuild the Minutemen with aid from the Sole Survivor. After appointing the Sole Survivor as the new General of the Minutemen, he assigns quests that slowly extend the influence of the organization by capturing new territory and defending the settlements already loyal to the cause.
Once the Sole Survivor reaches a high enough level of prestige with the Minutemen, Preston will notify the Sole Survivor of an old stronghold known as "The Castle". Taking the Castle will unlock the final quest line for the Minutemen and ultimately the Artillery piece improvement.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- When Freedom Calls: Preston asks of the Sole Survivor to equip properly and clear out Concord so he and his people can move away to a safer place.
- The First Step: Preston asks the Sole Survivor to help out a settlement. If this quest is completed, Preston will become available as a companion.
- Taking Independence: Preston asks the Sole Survivor to help take back The Castle (Fort Independence) previously occupied by the Minutemen.
- The Molecular Level: If the Survivor chooses to build the Relay Interceptor with the Minutemen, Garvey will tell them to ask Sturges for help, since he's the best engineer he's ever met.
- Defend the Castle: If played as part of the Minutemen quest line, Garvey will assist in defending the Castle from the Institute attackers.
- The Nuclear Option: Garvey, along with Sturges and a few other Minutemen, will assist the Survivor during their attack on the Institute. Garvey will also be present when the Survivor sets off the nuclear blast from atop the Mass Fusion building.
- Radiant Minutemen quests: Garvey will assign the Sole Survivor up to three radiant quests every time he is spoken to, provided none of the quests mentioned above are currently active.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
- When reaching the highest affinity with Preston, he grants the United We Stand perk, which increases damage dealt by 20% as well as increasing damage resistance by 20 points when facing 3 or more enemies at once.
- If the player character attacks a member of the Minutemen, Preston will instantly and permanently disassociate from the Sole Survivor as a companion.
- Preston can be romanced.
- fo4nw When the Sole Survivor becomes Overboss of the Nuka-World raider group, Preston Garvey becomes angry at the player asking them to repent their actions and to leave the Nuka-World raiders. If the Sole Survivor ignores the request, the next time Garvey is encountered, he will disassociate himself from the player and turn hostile.
- If Preston Garvey isn't present during the quest, he will remain friendly. However, converting a settlement into a raider outpost and building a flag for the raider gang will immediately drop his affinity to the lowest level, even if he isn't present.
- The above results will only happen if the Sole Survivor is a member of the Minutemen, if not, should the player became Overboss prior to meeting Preston at either Concord or Sanctuary, then the quest Open Season will be given if accepted the request, allowing the chance for the player to gain Preston as a companion upon completion.
Range of interestsEdit
- If taken to Nate/Nora's corpse in Vault 111, he will say, "Is this...? Oh. I'm sorry, General. Take all of the time you need."
- There is an impostor who pretends to be Preston Garvey. This is a random encounter.
- Preston does not have any unique dialogue should he meet the imposter.
- If the player character promotes the Minutemen, settlers will sometimes recognize Garvey as a Minuteman and give him a few caps or other supplies.
- Max affinity with Preston will reveal that he was actually quite depressed when the Sole Survivor found him in Concord. He says he would just not care about living if the Sole Survivor didn't help them as they did.
- Talking with Preston will get him to mention the CPG, Commonwealth Provisional Government, as well as what happened to it.
- Preston's Colonial duster and Minuteman hat can be obtained from a Level 4 Clothing Vendor at any player character settlement. One example of such vendors is Anne Hargraves, who will sell these items when assigned to any Level 3 clothing stand.
- Preston will be disgusted with the player character if they finish The Nuclear Option with the Brotherhood of Steel or the Railroad but did not activate the evacuation notice, stating that the player character not allowing Institute civilians to evacuate is mass murder.
- Preston's Colonial duster and Minuteman hat can be obtained an infinite number of times, i.e. If one equips him with any other outfit and takes his duster and hat then dismisses him, his clothes will respawn in his inventory after some time.
- When inside settlements, Settlers will sometimes chat with Preston, give him caps and saying "I know it ain't much, but we support the Minutemen's cause". The Sole Survivor can take these caps from Preston's inventory.
- "A month ago, there were twenty of us. Yesterday there were eight. Now, we're five."
- "Man, I don't know who you are, but your timing's impeccable."
- "Protect the people at a minute's notice."
- "The one good thing about being the last Minuteman is there's no one to argue with me when I say you're the new General."
- "I just saw you go toe-to-toe with a twenty foot tall irradiated lizard. You telling me you can't keep an open mind after that?"
- "I have to put on a brave face as long as there were still people counting on me. That the only reason I kept going."
- "As if we didn't have enough problems without the damn Brotherhood making things worse."
- "Is this...? Oh. I'm really sorry, General. Take all the time you need" if taken to Nate/Nora's corpse in Vault 111.
- After romancing him:
- "I'm not sure if Minuteman regulations cover our situation."
- "I'm just glad we found each other."
- "It's a little distracting, having you so close all the time"
- "I never expected to fall in love with my commanding officer ."
- Upon activating Lover's Embrace:
- "I was having the best dream"
- "That was nice"
- "Good morning love"
- "Time to get back to the real world huh?"
- Not joining the minutemen:
- "Selfish Bastards. they don't care about anyone else"
- When switching Preston with:
- Codsworth: "Hey Codsworth. Take over keeping an eye on him/her for me?" to which Codsworth replies "Yes of course, Mister Garvey."
- Cait: "All yours, Cait. Take care." to which Cait replies "You really know how to make a girl feel missed, handsome."
- Danse: "Remember... the Commonwealth belongs to all of us, Paladin Danse." to which Danse replies "Don't worry, Garvey. There shouldn't be a problem... as long as the Minutemen don't get in my way."
- Hancock: "Don’t let him talk you into anything you’ll regret later." to which Hancock replies "What? You jealous?"
- Nick Valentine: "I know I’m leaving him/her in good hands, Nick. Be careful out there." to which Nick replies "I'll keep out of trouble if he/she does."
- Piper: "Piper, you listen to him/her now. He/She'll keep you out of trouble." to which Piper replies "Outta trouble? Pfft. Where's the fun in that?"
- MacCready: "Good luck out there, MacCready." to which MacCready replies "Still wasting your time trying to save the world, huh Garvey?"
- Strong: "I sure hope you know what you're doing." to which Strong replies "Strong always know what Strong doing. Human not worry about me."
- xboxone pc ps4 When destroying the Institute with the Brotherhood of Steel and when talking to Preston, he will keep saying the that the Institute is gone and one could have helped the innocent unless there is a settlement in need or reporting that a settlement has been helped. [verified]
- ps4 xboxone pc Preston may become unavailable to recruit before the siege on the Castle. If the Castle is then retaken, he will no longer engage in dialogue past a greeting or a settlement quest. [verified]
- pc This can be fixed by selecting him, then using the console command removefac 00075D56.
- It's possible to bug his quest exchanges so that he continues to give a quest complete marker with no xp and the quest stays in the log. The only way to fix this is to reload. [platforms tag needed][verification overdue]
- xboxone Sometimes if there is any weapon near Preston even if it is weaker than his laser musket he may equip it.[verified]
- xboxone ps4 If the player character destroys the Institute without issuing the evacuation order, Preston's dialogue will always be his immediate reaction to seeing it go up. One will be able to have the conversation with him repeatedly with no way of moving on. Though the final quest can be concluded by fast traveling elsewhere, the Sole Survivor will not be able to recruit Preston again. The player character will be able to do minutemen missions, however. [verified]
- xboxone ps4 pc There is a known bug where after the quest to reclaim the Castle it becomes impossible to get him as a companion. [verified]
- pcThis can be fixed on PC by opening the console, selecting Preston Garvey and inputting removefac 00075d56.
- xboxone A possible fix for this is to have Preston as a companion while initiating the assault on the Castle.
- xboxone ps4 Another possible fix is if the Sole Survivor sides with The Minutemen against The Institute in the endgame. After activating the bomb in The Nuclear Option, Preston will talk and can be asked to follow the Sole Survivor. [verification overdue]
- xboxone Another possible fix is if one attaches a generator to the conduits and wires already setup in the castle the power requirements will turn green in the workshop menu and he will be able to act normally again. [verified]
- xboxone Preston's perk can be obtained without being able to get him as a companion. Assign him to an Artillery piece so he stays put, then build a Weapon Bench nearby. Modify a weapon at the bench and one should see the message "Preston liked that". Quicksave the game, load the Quicksave, and modify a weapon again. Repeat the Save/Load/Modify sequence until he idolizes the Sole Survivor, then go over and speak with him to get the perk.
- pc xboxone If ordered to use a suit of power armor and either dismissed or if he leaves due to quests requiring him to leave (e.g. meeting at the Castle), it can disappear, with Garvey later found no longer wearing it. [verified]
- xboxone If after choosing the Brotherhood ending and destroy the institute, to collect the holotape for Sturges from Proctor Ingram Preston may be "stuck" in the Museum of Freedom in Concord and enemies will continue to spawn inside. There is no known fix for this issue.[verification overdue]
- pc ps4 Once the highest affinity level with Preston is reached, and the romance option is not chosen in the corresponding dialogue, the same "last talk" may pop up from time to time, especially if Preston is dismissed and re-recruited or spoken to a few days later.[verified]
- xboxone Preston's default may become invisible. This can be fixed by equipping and unequipping a different weapon in his inventory. [verification overdue]
- ps4 May be bugged for Minutemen quest completion. All state to talk to Preston, but if companion, dialogue won't happen until fast traveling. [verification overdue]
- xboxone ps4 pc After the player character gains max relationship with Preston he will stop offering new radiant quest and he will keep looping the last affinity speech over and over every time the player character returns to Sanctuary; this will also happen with every male companion the player character has full affinity without choosing the romance option. [verified]
- ps4 When equipped with a piece of clothing, after a certain amount of time he will take it off and equip the colonial duster without being instructed to. [verification overdue]