| || For an overview of power armor in Fallout 4, see Power armor (Fallout 4).|
For an overview of various models of power armor in the Fallout series of games, see power armor.
Even without any pieces, a Power Armor frame provides a variety of advantages, like increased carry weight, greater melee damage, and the elimination of fall damage.”— VDSG Catalogue No.9717
The power armor frame is the base component for all power armor in Fallout 4.
Any combination of power armor parts can be equipped on a power armor frame, which is a furniture object that does not exist in the inventory. A power armor station can be used to modify power armor components on a frame.
The base frame provides 60 Damage Resistance, and Energy Resistance, but negates effects of other apparel and armor worn underneath. It also sets the base Strength to 11, which can result in negative effects to carrying capacity. Although the weight of worn apparel and armor is not ignored, any power armor plate segments attached to the frame do not affect carrying capacity.
There is only one empty power armor frame available in the game, (all other frames have power armor pieces attached,) located at Revere satellite array. The frame is located in the northeast corner of array's dishes, in the dish array accessible by stairs. All other power armor frames contain at least one piece of power armor; a full list of locations can be found at the power armor page.
When purchased from a vendor, the frame will spawn in the power armor station in the shop. The only exception is when purchasing from Atom Cats, which will appear outside garage.
Empty frames can be purchased from the following locations:
- Atom Cats Garage from Rowdy. Also sells Atom Cats T-60 pieces, sometimes T-51 pieces, and rarely X-01 pieces.
- Commonwealth Weaponry from Arturo Rodriguez in Diamond City.
- Kill or Be Killed from KL-E-0 in Goodneighbor.
- One can be ordered from Proctor Teagan on the Prydwen.
- It is possible to purchase more than one from vendors. Just come back in 48 hours.
- Frames that are empty, particularly those purchased from vendors are also immune to the "Cell Reset" bug which can cause the loss of mounted power armor pieces on unattended power armor.