Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Merge (reason: That other page covers all the most pertient info on PA in FO4. This page has the most convenient page name that works with layout templates and a good search term.)
| || For a list of power armor pieces, see Fallout 4 armor and clothing#Power armor parts.|
For an overview of various models of power armor in the Fallout series of games, see power armor.
Power armor is almost always attached to a power armor frame. The frame and its parts may be repaired and modified at Power armor stations located around the Commonwealth, but can neither be renamed nor scrapped for component materials. Power armor stations can be built at settlement locations under the crafting tab.
Most power armor located around the Commonwealth is level scaled. For example, at lower levels one will find T-45 power armor though at higher levels it can range from T-51 power armor up to X-01 power armor.
The amounts of materials required for upgrading power armor pieces are fixed for each specific item, which means improving an armor piece from tier E to F has the same material cost as upgrading it from tier A to F. Depending on the player character's current situation, it might sometimes be wiser to postpone the next upgrade until higher (or the maximum) ranks of Armorer and Science! have been unlocked in order to save resources. This is especially true for the more advanced power armor models as they require much larger quantities of increasingly rare and specialized materials for their upgrades than for example T-45 or Raider power armor.
- Actions which use Action Points deplete the fusion core rapidly.
- Power armor uses fusion cores as fuel. Fusion cores are scarce and are exhausted rather quickly while running and fighting in power armor. However, there is no drain on a power armor fusion core during fast travel to a discovered site on the map.
- Because power armors use fusion cores as fuel, shooting off an enemy's fusion core will often cause the core to become unstable and eject, therefore leaving the armor with no fuel. The enemy will be forced to exit the power armor and wont be able to enter unless they have a fusion core in their inventory. This will allow the Sole Survivor to have an unlimited number of power armors, although all the power armors obtained through this method will be "stolen". Having the Penetrator perk makes it easier, as one can hit the fusion core at any angle.
- Because of the weight of power armor, swimming is impossible while wearing it. Instead the wearer will sink to the bottom of the body of water and walk on the bottom, unable to sprint. This can be either useful or hazardous; while a power armor helmet does prolong the amount of time one can remain underwater before sustaining damage, without having the Aquaboy perk, or a supply of Mirelurk cake, one can still drown. It is a useful combination if the player character has the correct stealth skills and perks, along with the Aquaboy Perk near bodies of water.
- Certain bodies of water feature very steep banks and can't be walked out of, like the flooded shaft at the bottom of Dunwich Borers where Kremvh's Tooth is found. Escaping such a location is possible only by exiting the power armor underwater. While the armor pieces and the fusion core can be salvaged from the power armor frame, the frame itself will become unrecoverable. It is therefore advised to make a savegame before entering an unknown body of water while clad in power armor.
- Power armor completely negates all fall damage, with or without any pieces of armor attached, enabling the wearer to hop down from even the tallest of skyscrapers without any harm to either health or the armor itself. This however, causes a very loud thud, and will alert any nearby enemies of the player character's position. Landing on or in close proximity to an enemy or even friendly NPC deals a great deal of damage to them from the fall as well, therefore care should be taken for example jumping from the top floor inside Atom Cats garage as it can cause them to become aggravated.
- Power armor makes the player invulnerable to all forms of insta-kill attacks, including the brutal pick-up kills used by deathclaws, making power armor ideal for fighting oversized and very powerful foes.
- Some NPCs will comment on the player character wearing power armor, including several companions, the guards at Diamond City, and children. Comments range from confusion and suspicion to amazement and comments of impression or even more rarely, mild disdain. Zeke of the Atom Cats is immediately impressed when the player character arrives in power armor.
- Each model of power armor (except the raider power armor), can be modified with a unique paint scheme, most of which are acquired by progressing through the questlines of the four main factions. Some paints (Minutemen, Railroad) unlock after only a handful of quests while others like the Institute Paint require the completion of the entire corresponding questline. All of them grant the wearer a bonus to a specific SPECIAL stat if all six armor pieces are painted the same.
- The Minutemen paint increases Charisma and is exclusive to T-45 power armor.
- The Railroad paint increases Perception and can only be applied to T-51 power armor.
- The Brotherhood of Steel provides up to four paint jobs for Knights, Paladins and Sentinels, and the Elder respectively. All four increase Strength and are exclusive to T-60 power armor. If preferring to use other power armor pieces, but also wanting to have the Brotherhood emblem on the torso, any piece painted with military paint also grants the SPECIAL bonus.
- The Institute paint increases Intelligence and can only be applied to X-01 power armor.
- The Vault-Tec paint increases Charisma and can be applied to all types of power armor.
- The Atom Cats custom paint job is the only one that must be bought in order to be freely available, although painted T-60 parts can be purchased directly from Rowdy at the Atom Cats garage. It is also the only paint job that grants two bonuses at once by increasing Charisma and reducing the Action Points cost for sprinting. It can only be applied to T-60 power armor
- The three Hot Rodder paint jobs that can be unlocked by finding the respective magazine. Hot Rodder schemes can be applied to all types of power armor and increase Agility. The three paintjobs are Hot Rod Flames paint, Hot Rod Hot Pink paint, and Hot Rod Shark paint.
- The Vim! Refresh paint job provides an increase in Agility. While the Vim! paint job provides an increase in Strength when all pieces have been painted. Both can only be applied to T-51 power armor.
- The Sugar Bombs paint job provides a Strenght increase with all pieces painted and can only be applied to a T-51 power armor.
- The Abraxo paint job provides an Agility increase with all pieces painted and can only be applied to a T-51 power armor.
- The parts of armor (ex. body, head etc) are in fixed number and type for each spawn point (some frames appear to spawn different parts by loading a save from before EVER entering that area), but level of them (T-45, T-51, X-01 etc) depends on the level entering the area for the FIRST time to spawn point.
- Power armor pieces spawned through the console will have a random model number tied to it.
- The Pip-Boy light may not be used while wearing power armor, preventing an external light from being used if the power armor suit is not equipped with a helmet normally. A mining helmet may be worn and used in place of the power armor helmet and Pip-Boy.
- Equipping a companion with a power armor helmet with the Targeting Hud mod will highlight all living targets for the player as if they were wearing it. This may stop after loading a save, but can be brought back by un- and re-equipping the helmet on the companion.
- To get an active companion to use power armor, point at the rig in command mode which will yield the command [Enter Power Armor]. To have a companion exit power armor, select the Talk dialogue option and Relationship will have been replaced by Exit Power Armor. Some companions however are unable, or will refuse to use power armor.
- When entering the power armor some companions will unequip the helmet and put it in their inventory. To make the companion equip it: Trade dialog > select the helmet in the companions inventory > select the equip option.
- The fusion core doesn't lose its energy when in a companion's power armor.
- Companions can be told to use power armor without a fusion core installed.
- After finishing the Brotherhood of Steel, Commonwealth Minutemen or Railroad ending, the respective faction will guard some of the power armor locations on the map.
- Broken power armor pieces can still be fully displayed off of a frame and can still be sold for a full price.
- The elevation indicator on the compass disappears while wearing power armor, making all foes appear as if they are on the same floor on the compass.
- pc In the USS Constitution Hold if wearing power armor and deciding to exit the power armor it will turn invisible, while still being able to enter it.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone If a Companion gets into a suit of power-armor that has no fusion core, they will not be hindered by it and will even be able to use the light as if it did have a core.[verified]
- pc ps4 While in first person, the smoke from the power armor's jet-pack won't go away until re-entering the suit or remove and equip the chest piece.[verified]
- xboxone When using VATS, upon exiting VATS one may suddenly exit the power armor.[verification overdue]
- xboxone While wearing power armor, it may be impossible to exit it. No known fix exists.[verification overdue]
- pc Entering or exiting power armor may sometimes override the Quick Hands perk slowing down reload times, switching weapons fixes this. [verification overdue]
- pc xboxone If all armor is stripped from a frame and the frame is then left alone for a long time, it's possible that the frame will visually show random pieces still on it, despite them having no effect. This can be fixed by interacting with the armor such as inserting a fusion core. [verified]