| ||For an overview of plasma rifle models, see Plasma rifle.|
|The following is based on Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
The plasma bolt is a toroid of superheated hydrogen gas that delivers high levels of both thermal and kinetic energy damage to the target, melting through most types of armors and causing massive 3rd-degree and 4th-degree burns.
Initially, these weapons were bulky, industrial plasma casters designed to be an industrial welding tool rather than a weapon, manufactured by Winchester Arms; while it performed admirably as a welding tool, it was expensive and required specialized training to use. However, later developments for the US Army would lead to a more compact and smaller designs, such as the plasma pistol and plasma rifle, that was cheaper to produce and easier to train for, perfectly suited for urban warfare.
Regardless, all types of plasma weapons have a common feature: when a Critical Hit is delivered, they can literally melt down enemies. While most industrial casters aren't powerful enough to dissolve bones too, subsequent models have no problem converting the target into a puddle of goo.
The electric plasma rifle appears only in the city of Los and the Secret Vault. It's to be manufactured using technology contained in the Secret Vault. It's equipped by the most important ghouls of the Church of the Lost and some super mutants of Attis' army.
A good weapon for the beginning and the middle of Chapter 3 but surpassed by other weapons in the end. The weapon uses a raygun shot. It's very accurate and burns (by electrical burn) the target with radius contact. With the skill Energy Charge, you can charge it for the equivalent of three rays for three times more damage and ammunition.
- Secret Vault Facilities Level 3, purchased from Shop-Tec.
- Secret Vault Ruins Level 2, purchased from Shop-Tec.
- Secret Vault - The Garden, found in locker.
- Secret Vault Laboratory Level 3, purchased from Shop-Tec.
- ↑ In-game description for the plasma rifle in Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics. 
- ↑ Research Note - Plasma rifle, Fort Independence terminal entries. 
- ↑ Chris Taylor interview for Vault13.net. 
- ↑ Cover of Future Weapons Today.