| ||For an overview of plasma rifle models, see Plasma rifle.|
|The following is based on Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
Need to take out an enemy from a distance? Is that enemy wearing armor? No worries. The plasma rifle, which offers superior accuracy and a good rate of fire, has you covered for all your killing needs.”
Initially, the weapon was a bulky, industrial plasma caster, manufactured by Winchester Arms; while it performed admirably, it was expensive and required specialized training to use. However, later developments for the US Army would lead to a more compact design that was cheaper to produce and easier to train for, perfectly suited for urban warfare.
Regardless, all types of plasma weapons have a common feature: when a Critical Hit is delivered, they can literally melt down enemies. While most industrial casters aren't powerful enough to dissolve bones too, subsequent models have no problem converting the target into a puddle of goo.
The electric plasma rifle appears only in the city of Los and the Secret Vault. It's to be manufactured using technology contained in the Secret Vault. It's equipped by the most important ghouls of the Church of the Lost and some super mutants of Attis' army.
A good weapon for the beginning and the middle of Chapter 3 but surpassed by other weapons in the end. The weapon uses a raygun shot. It's very accurate and burns (by electrical burn) the target with radius contact. With the skill Energy Charge, you can charge it for the equivalent of three rays for three times more damage and ammunition.
- Secret Vault Facilities Level 3, purchased from Shop-Tec.
- Secret Vault Ruins Level 2, purchased from Shop-Tec.
- Secret Vault - The Garden, found in locker.
- Secret Vault Laboratory Level 3, purchased from Shop-Tec.
- ↑ In-game description for the plasma rifle in Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics. 
- ↑ Research Note - Plasma rifle, Fort Independence terminal entries. 
- ↑ Chris Taylor interview for Vault13.net. 
- ↑ Cover of Future Weapons Today.