| || For an overview of plasma pistol variants in the Fallout series of games, see plasma pistol.|
For the Gun Runners' Arsenal version of this weapon, see Plasma Defender (GRA).
The Austrian made Glock 86 plasma pistol (also referred to as the Plasma Defender), was designed before the Great War by the Gaston Glock artificial intelligence. It shoots a small bolt of superheated plasma, and is powered by a small energy cell.
The Plasma Defender is a powerful energy-based pistol which fires superheated bolts of green plasma. It is able to punch through most critters and low-level armor with ease, when compared to the more commonly found and cheaper laser pistol.
In comparison to the standard laser pistol, the Plasma Defender deals more than 3 times the damage per shot and over twice as much damage-per-second (DPS). This is offset by the fact that it consumes energy cells at twice the rate, has reduced durability, and has a slightly increased spread. Additionally, it causes a large green burst of plasma upon firing which in addition to partially obscuring the view, travels at a slower rate, resulting in the need to lead the target.
In comparison to the plasma pistol, the plasma defender does an additional 5 damage per shot, has a reduced critical chance, and is less durable. However, the plasma defender is a more accurate weapon, uses fewer Action Points in V.A.T.S. and has a higher rate of fire in real-time, delivering almost twice as much DPS. Unlike the plasma pistol, the plasma defender is not considered a holdout weapon.
The Plasma Defender can fire a total of about 495 times using standard cells, the equivalent of 31 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
- Arcade's Plasma Defender is a unique non-playable Plasma Defender used by Arcade Gannon. It only differs from the standard pistol in its use of companion ammunition.
- Plasma Defender (GRA), a variant that can accept modifications.
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||Attacks in V.A.T.S.||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||Action point cost||- Action point cost|
|Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per action point||- Damage per action point|
|Damage per second||- Damage per second||Weapon spread||- Weapon spread|
|Area of effect damage||- Area of effect damage||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|Effect damage & duration||- Effect damage & duration||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|Bonus effects||- Bonus effects||Weight||- Weight|
|Attacks per second||- Attacks per second||Value in caps||- Value in caps|
|Critical chance % multiplier||- Critical chance % multiplier||Value to weight ratio||- Value to weight ratio|
|Critical damage||- Critical damage||Skill required||- Skill required|
|Critical effect damage & duration||- Critical effect damage & duration||Strength required||- Strength required|
|With all mods attached||- With all mods attached|
|Weapon name (current weapon is highlighted)||Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||Damage per second||Attacks per second||Critical Chance % multiplier||Critical damage||Action Point cost||Damage per action point||Weapon spread||Magazine capacity (shots per reload)||Durability (number of attacks before breaking)||Weight||Value in caps||Value to weight ratio||Skill required||Strength required|
|Plasma Defender With all weapon mods attached||38||95||2.5||x1||38||20||1.9||0.1||64(32)||495||2||7100||3550||50||2|
- Lucky 38, in a floor safe of the cocktail lounge.
- Silver Rush, located on a table and sold by Gloria Van Graff.
- Dead Bright Brotherhood followers have a 1-in-3 chance of carrying Plasma Defender once the Courier has reached Level 8. They can be found at REPCONN test site along with other energy weapons.
- Y-17 trauma override harness may carry them on higher levels.
- Hopeville silo bunker entrance, located in a desk with a Hard lock.
- marked men. Spawns as a random weapon on
- Plasma Defenders are not randomly sold by any merchants, including the Van Graffs and the Gun Runners. This is due to their absence from a number of leveled item lists, while being present on several other lists which are not used. The only exception is a single Plasma Defender which can be found on the display table in front of Gloria Van Graff.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Plasma Defender is meant to closely resemble the "Glock 86" Plasma pistol from Fallout 1 and 2, especially when all of the modifications are added.
| || |