Pinto bean pod
Pinto bean pod (left) and pinto bean plant (right)
The pinto bean pod is a consumable item in Fallout: New Vegas. It is also used for crafting mole rat stew. Pinto bean pods can only be obtained from plants or salient green, and the plants themselves are only found in two areas in the base game, making them moderately difficult to come by.
Survival Skill effectEdit
|10||+1 Hit Point for 3s||-6 Starvation|
|20||+1 Hit Point for 3s||-7 Starvation|
|30||+1 Hit Point for 3s||-8 Starvation|
|40||+1 Hit Point for 3s||-9 Starvation|
|50||+2 Hit Point for 3s||-10 Starvation|
|60||+2 Hit Point for 3s||-11 Starvation|
|70||+2 Hit Point for 3s||-12 Starvation|
|80||+2 Hit Point for 3s||-13 Starvation|
|90||+2 Hit Point for 3s||-14 Starvation|
|100||+3 Hit Point for 3s||-15 Starvation|
- There are seventeen plants along the banks of the Colorado River:
- Three along the west shoreline between Blue Paradise Vacation Rentals and Smith Mesa Prospector Camp.
- Two on the eastern shoreline due east of Cottonwood Overlook.
- Four more just north of there, east of Cottonwood Cove.
- Five more a little farther north of those four, beginning just southeast of Ranger Station Echo. The last one is east of the Lucky Jim Mine and right beside the entrance to the deathclaw promontory.
- Three more across the river from those five, on the west bank: one due east of the Lucky Jim Mine, one slightly northeast of Ranger Station Echo, and one due east Ranger Station Echo.
- There are sixty-seven plants available inside three greenhouses at the NCR Sharecropper Farms: fifty-four normal-sized plants in the two northwestern-most greenhouses, and thirteen miniature plants in the southwestern-most greenhouse. Some will be counted as stolen but taking them will not result in Karma loss, and they will not have the stolen attribute when dropped. This location also contains a great many maize plants, handy if you are going for mole rat stew ingredients.
- Old World Blues (add-on) One plant is available once you have upgraded the Biological research station after the completion of Field Research.
- A few in Westside.
- Pinto beans plants are unusual in that each plant yields two pods. This means that while they are perhaps the hardest plant to find in the game, they are not the rarest plant-based consumable: one trip through the Sharecropper Farms can result in 134 pods.
- The icon for the pinto bean pods resembles the wasteland omelet.
- Like Xander root, pinto bean pods have no value.