|Institute main quest: Pinned|
|Speak to Father.|
|Travel to Graygarden Homestead.|
|Speak to the Minuteman/Gunner contact.|
|Kill the Minutemen/Gunners.||Side with them.||Convince them to stand down.|
|Speak to Enrico Thompson.|
|Speak to T.S. Wallace.|
|Reward: 500 XP|
|Leads to: Powering Up|
The quest starts when you enter the Institute after finishing Mass Fusion. First, you must speak to Father, then you are told to go to the house of T.S. Wallace; a wastelander who could help the project. The Minutemen arrive there, and from here you have three choices:
- Kill the Minutemen,
- Side with them,
- Convince the Minutemen to stand down.
If they either stand down or get killed, you must then go into the house of Wallace, where another speech check is required in order to get him to go to the Institute.
- If the Minutemen are supported, the quest Banished from the Institute will begin and all active Institute and Railroad quests will immediately fail. Later on, the Defend the Castle quest will begin. This makes Pinned the crucial turning point in the main story for anyone who wants to finish the game with the Minutemen but is unwilling to risk a massive firefight inside the Institute in order to get banished.
- By killing the Minutemen, you will risk a potential result in partners becoming hostile.
- If you have Preston Garvey as a companion during this quest and kill the Minutemen, he will immediately refuse to travel with you and may even become hostile.
- If the player never joined the Minutemen instead there will be Gunners who attack the player as soon as you get close to the house in place of the Minutemen. Confirmed with The First Step still active but not finished.
- If all the persuasion attempts with T.S. Wallace fail, a synth is teleported into his room to "subdue" him. During this time, the door opens and you cannot interact with his body. Oddly enough you can drag him around and even cannibalize him alive, making him one of the two people in the entire series that can be eaten alive, the other being Carlyle St. Clair III.
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.