Cleanup (Issue: Quick walkthrough too detailed, detailed walkthrough too quick. Page could be merged with Art Appreciation.)
To meet Nukapedia's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by improving the article.
|Side Quest: Pickman's Gift|
|Go to Pickman Gallery.|
|Go through the hole in the wall on the top floor or pick the master lock door on the ground floor to enter the tunnels.|
|Traverse through the underground network, eventually leading to Pickman in an end room.|
|Kill the raiders attacking Pickman.||Let the raiders kill Pickman.||Kill the raiders and Pickman.|
|Speak with Pickman.||Take the safe key off Pickman's body.|
|Find the painting "Picnic for Stanley" in the first room toward the left of the entrance in Pickman's Gallery. Examine it to reveal the safe.|
|Rewards: 150 XP|
Pickman's thank you note
Upon entering the gallery, the player character is met with multiple raiders, all of whom are searching for someone named "Pickman" and will attempt to kill the Sole Survivor on-sight, presumably confusing the player character with the man in question. In the room immediately to the left of the entrance one will find the body of a raider that has the holotape Message to Jack on it. Listening to this holotape will give the first clue about Pickman.
There are two different ways that one can enter the hidden tunnels, one is to find the hole in the wall on the third floor and use it to drop down into Pickman's basement, which then leads to the tunnels where one can hear someone calling for Pickman to come out of hiding. Alternatively, one can try to pick the master lock door which also leads directly to the same place. There is a rather high drop that one must jump down to continue exploring, though this will prevent from backtracking, so caution should be taken if ill-supplied.
Continue through the winding tunnels while fighting off numerous raiders and a turret, remaining mindful of the ledges and water. When arriving at a ledge at the end of the tunnel, one will find Pickman at gunpoint from several more raiders, including the leader, Slab. The Sole Survivor can either save Pickman, let the raiders kill him, or kill them all. Even if letting the raiders kill Pickman, the player character still has to fight them afterwards to progress.
After killing all the raiders in Pickman Gallery, one can either loot his body in the event the player character or the raiders killed him, or simply speak with the man if he's still alive. Either option will grant his key, upon which the quest will be added to the Pip-Boy.
If Pickman is spared, he will tell to take a closer look at his painting "Picnic For Stanley". After exiting the house via the tunnel exit nearby, make the way back and re-enter through the front door. On this ground floor in the Northwest corner is a painting of a man with his eyes removed. Activate it to reveal Pickman's safe, which can be opened with the key obtained from Pickman. Collect his gift and complete the quest.
- The quest Art Appreciation runs concurrent with this quest. They can be seamlessly done together by speaking with Hancock to initiate Art Appreciation first. Saving Pickman or retrieving the Message to Jack will fulfill Hancock's objective.
- Some companions disapprove when the quest is added to the journal, which is done by simply talking to Pickman after killing the raiders, as no dialogue options prevent him from giving the key and adding the quest. e.g. Danse hates this, Deacon, Hancock, MacCready, Curie dislike this. X6-88 doesn't react.
- The painting can be moved and the safe can be looted with Locksmith rank 3 (Master-rank lock) before receiving this quest, and if emptied the "take" prompt won't be able to check off "Retrieve Pickman's gift" and complete the quest. To complete it then, click into the safe's inventory with the "transfer" button.
- The note does not appear before Pickman is saved, nor does it appear if the quest is obtained and then the player character kills Pickman themselves before leaving the lowest basement.
- This quest is likely an easter egg that references an H.P. Lovecraft story - "Pickman's Model".
pc ps4 If picking the lock on Pickman's safe behind the painting and loot it taking Pickman's Blade before saving or killing Pickman and then encounter Pickman, he will still give the key and the player character will have the same conversation options triggering the quest. After deciding Pickman's fate, and returning to his safe, it will show nothing in it and still unlocked from the way one left it earlier. The quest will still be in the log though, to fix this use the transfer option and place the Pickman's Blade back in the safe, exit the safe, re-enter the safe and retrieve the blade again. This will mark the quest as completed in the log and award with experience. [verified]
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help Nukapedia by writing it.