Bighorner rancher Walter Phebus and his wife, Ethel have traveled to New Vegas on the trail of big-name rancher/robber baron named Heck Gunderson. Walter is bent on revenge after losing land to Gunderson in a shady deal.
Warning: This quest is tied to Beyond the Beef, and depending on your actions, it is possible to fail one of the two quests.
Initiate conversation with Walter Phebus near the Las Vegas Boulevard Station to find that he has trailed Heck Gunderson to the Ultra-Luxe casino. Walter tells you his troubles, and requests that you find out why Heck is visiting the casino. With a Barter check of 70, you will receive 400 caps for accepting this quest. Ethel asks that you persuade her husband to let the matter go. However, to accomplish Ethel's purpose requires a Perception of 7 or a Speech check of 75. Failing the former will grant access to the latter. This will end the quest and you gain 375 XP.
Speak with Heck Gunderson (accompanied by a bodyguard in the Ultra-Luxe casino) to find out that he is working out a food supply deal with the White Glove Society, and that his son, Ted Gunderson, is missing. Offering to help find Ted will initiate the quest Beyond the Beef, and finishing that quest by returning Ted alive will fail this quest. However, It is possible to finish both quests by choosing your options carefully.
If you wish to help Walter in his revenge, after returning with your findings he will be delighted to see Heck Gunderson "suffering". You now have three options on how to carry out his revenge. With a barter check of 80 you can convince him that only killing Ted is enough and Heck will suffer more, in exchange for 500 caps. Failing the check only nets 250 caps. With a Barter check of 90 can you convince him that only killing Heck is enough, for 1,000 caps. Failing that check only gives you 500 caps. Your only other option is to kill BOTH Ted and Heck Gunderson (no check required). Remember though that you can still choose to kill only one of them even if you can't pass the required barter check, you will just earn less caps.
- If you kill Ted Gunderson, Walter will pay you 250 caps (500 with a barter of 80) and you gain 100 XP.
- If you kill Heck Gunderson, Walter will pay you 500 caps (1,000 with a barter of 90) and you gain 100 XP.
- If you succeed in killing both Heck and Ted, Walter will pay you 1,500 caps and you gain 200 XP.
Note: The choice to kill Heck Gunderson or both Ted and his father is useful if you are siding with the Legion, since the player will be able to finish the quest without missing a portion of Render Unto Caesar.
- If you kill Ted then tell Heck that Ted is dead you will complete the quest Beyond the Beef and have the option to complete Pheeble Will as well. After giving Heck the bad news use a Stealth Boy and reverse pickpocket a mine on him, after he dies go outside and speak with Walter Phebus to complete Pheeble Will (note: be warned that this will generate only 100 XP and 250 caps after completing Beyond the Beef, but you still gain Strip and White Glove Society fame).
- To know how to kill Heck and Ted and gain the maximum XP and caps, check Beyond the Beef.
- Bringing Ted Gunderson to Heck Gunderson during Beyond the Beef and talking to Heck will fail this quest. Walter and Ethel disappear, even if you kill Heck immediately.
- If you want to complete both Pheeble Will and Beyond The Beef quest with the most experience, then the best option is to convince Walter Phebus that Ethel is right and vengenance is not the way. He will leave without you having to kill Ted or Heck. This will give you 413 XP, but 0 caps. It also requires Speech 75. This way you can bring Ted back to his father Heck and receive 589 XP, as well as 500 caps. You do however need speech level 35 to ensure you get the strip and White Glove Society fame. Also killing Mortimer after you show him up will give you 55 XP.
- Oddly enough if you bring Ted back to Heck and then kill Heck, the White Glove Society will shun you, but Heck's hired gun will help you fight them.