We arrived here in '55. Established ourselves in the Citadel within the first few months. The Elder has kept us busy since then.”— Scribe Rothchild
The Citadel is the heavily defended headquarters of the Brotherhood of Steel in the Capital Wasteland in 2277. It is built into and beneath the ruins of the Pentagon, the pre-war headquarters of the U.S. military. Located on the west end of Arlington Memorial bridge, northeast of Arlington Library, it initially consists of four interior sections.
The ruling council of the Brotherhood of Steel, based in the Lost Hills bunker in Southern California, decided to send a contingent of soldiers to the East Coast to recover any and all advanced technology from Washington, D.C., and The Pitt as well as to investigate reports of super mutant activity.
The Pentagon, as feared, was largely destroyed. However, its sub-levels remained intact and contained enough pre-War technology and weaponry to keep Brotherhood forces going indefinitely. But there was something else as well, Liberty Prime - a technological marvel that, if restored, could help the Brotherhood rebuild their strength and reputation which had both been steadily declining for years.
The discovery was significant enough to earn Paladin Owyn Lyons a battlefield promotion to Elder, and a new directive from his superiors – to establish a new, permanent Brotherhood base in the Capital Wasteland and continue the search for any other advanced technology hidden in the capital's ruins.
Lyons accepted his new post gladly and founded the Citadel, built into and beneath the ruins of the Pentagon. It was a fortress the Brotherhood of Steel desperately needed, and one they rushed to fortify.
The Citadel is a large fortress with walls of stone and steel. It retains the shape which gave it its name, the "Pentagon". It only has a single entrance: a large metal gate usually guarded by multiple paladins and one sentry bot. (After the water purifier is completed and operational these guards no longer appear.) A small corridor leads from the main gate to a door which provides access to the inner bailey.
The inside is inaccessible until you complete the The Waters of Life segment of the main quest. Entry is scripted as part of the completion of this quest. Before then, the guard commander Paladin Bael will gruffly deny your entry.
The fairly large bailey serves as a training and sparring area. Under the command of Paladin Gunny, new recruits practice various skills from unarmed combat to firearm usage. To this end, the bailey contains shooting ranges and other installations for combat practice. A large hatch in the middle of the courtyard connects to the laboratory, although it cannot be used as an entrance by the player. The laboratory and A ring, sections of the buildings which surround the yard, can be accessed through doors opposite and next to the main entrance. There are several beds here for the player and initiates to use.
Citadel - A RingEdit
The A Ring is a small sector within the Citadel which can be accessed directly from the bailey. The entrance is on the right when you enter the Citadel.
The A Ring contains the Lyon's Den, the Great Hall, the Library and entrances to B Ring as well as Citadel laboratory. The Lyon's Den is the quarters of Lyons' Pride while the Great Hall serves as a briefing room for high-ranking Brotherhood members and the Pride. This is where the Pride gathers and waits for new action orders.
In the library the Lone Wanderer can find the Vault-Tec terminal you need to consult as part of Picking Up the Trail. Another terminal reveals some background information on the Maxson family and various tidbits of information about the history of the Brotherhood. Another terminal contains information on a UFO that crashed shortly before the war and a plan to send mutant rodents to weaken China.
Citadel - B RingEdit
The B Ring is another section within the Citadel which can only be reached from the A Ring via two doors in the back. It consists mostly of sleeping quarters for all Brotherhood of Steel members as well as a medical bay and the private quarters of Owyn Lyons and Arthur Maxson. Lyons' unique laser pistol is in his safe in his private quarters.
Squire Maxson's room contains a hackable terminal in which, among various children's stories and other personal entries, you can find a Guns and Bullets magazine under the bed in the Lyon's Den (A Ring).
Citadel - LaboratoryEdit
The laboratory is the third sector of the Citadel, connected to both the bailey and the A Ring. It spans two levels and consists of the main working area, the armory, and sleeping quarters for the Scribes. Various terminals with technical background information on weaponry are scattered all over the place.
The lab is naturally the working place for most of the Scribes, save those of the Order of the Quill. While they are conducting research on various fields such as threat assessment, weaponry and defensive technologies, their main focus is the work on Liberty Prime, a gargantuan pre-War robot which was the main reason the Citadel base was established.
Scribe Rothchild, who is part of various main quests, is usually to be found in the area just in front of the robot, on the bottom level. In the vicinity of the robot dock there's also a terminal with progress information on the work on Liberty Prime which allows you to run a sound check.
On the wall at the bottom level there is a digital map display from which you can extrapolate the location of the Vault-Tec Vaults in the Capital Wasteland if you have not already found them. After Scribe Rothchild has used it to show you the location of Vault 87, the map markers will automatically be added to your Pip-Boy 3000.
There is a graphical error in the location of Vault 108 between Pip-boy 3000 and the vault map on the wall. The wall map shows it north of Canterbury Commons and Pipboy shows it south of Canterbury Commons.
The armory is located in an extra room on the bottom level and is run by Knight Captain Durga. She will trade with you only if you have Elder Lyons' permission, which is easily obtained.
If you chose to destroy the Citadel in Who Dares Wins, you will find a door leading to the armory within the crater, and one on the far side of the circular path around the crater. This section is not to be confused with the regular armory located in the laboratory.
- Elder Owyn Lyons
- Knight Artemis
- Knight Captain Colvin
- Knight Captain Durga
- Knight Captain Dusk
- Knight Captain Gallows
- Paladin Bael
- Paladin Glade
- Paladin Gunny
- Paladin Kodiak
- Paladin Tristan ¹ Broken Steel
- Paladin Vargas
- Scribe Bowditch
- Scribe Jameson
- Scribe Peabody
- Scribe Rothchild
- Scribe Vallincourt Broken Steel
- Sentinel Sarah Lyons
- Squire Arthur Maxson
- Star Paladin Cross
- 12 unnamed initiates
- 15 unnamed knights
- 12 unnamed scribes
- ¹ After the quest Death From Above
- 3 Elder Owyn Lyons personal logs
- A Duck and Cover! book in a crate in one of the stalls in the bathroom of the Citadel Lab.
- A Guns and Bullets book under the rightmost bed in A ring's "The Den" area.
- Smuggler's End, Elder Lyons's unique AEP7 laser pistol, can be found in his safe in B ring's "The Solar" area. A Lockpick skill of 100 is required to open the safe. Occasionally it may be taken from the safe by non-player characters, in which case it must be either pick pocketed normally or reverse-pick pocketed.
- 2 Tesla cannons in the Citadel lab as well as in the armory. Broken Steel
- Callahan's magnum in a safe in the Citadel armory. Broken Steel
- 3 mini nukes in the Citadel armory. Broken Steel
- 72 alien power cells in the Citadel armory. Broken Steel
- With the Broken Steel add-on, The Citadel can be targeted by the orbital missile platform controlled by the terminal in the Adams Air Force Base at the end of the quest Who Dares Wins. This destroys both the Air Force Base and the Citadel, revealing some helpful supplies beneath the ruins.
- With the Broken Steel add-on, a super mutant overlord may spawn by the south side of the Citadel, accompanied by other assorted mutants. Two Brotherhood Paladins will also spawn with them in the sniper nests.
- The sentry bot outside the gates will also respawn if destroyed.
- After getting special permission from Elder Lyons you can receive Power Armor Training by talking to Paladin Gunny.
- Geographical error: If you enter the labs directly (missing out the A Ring) from the far side of the bailey, the door you enter through leads straight down into the lab. However as you find out during the final mission, Liberty Prime is raised through the very center of the courtyard, implying the lab is directly below it. It is worth noting that the door from the bailey is a double door while the door in the Lab is a single door, an obvious design error. (This could be explained if there is actually a staircase the player uses, although not to the players knowledge, and it would explain the lab being directly under the bailey).
- The Brotherhood will not be hostile toward Fawkes, despite their mission to destroy super mutants. They will attack him however if the player fires him in their vicinity.
- In the ring area in the courtyard where two initiates may be fighting, you can stand in the middle of them and be hit by their punches with no ill effects, as the punches are scripted to deal 0 damage.
- Initiates on line in the courtyard do push-ups at seemingly random intervals of their own volition.
- If the Citadel is viewed from the outside, there is a notably tall construction crane, however, with the exception of the mission Take it Back!, there is no construction crane if viewed from the bailey.
- The name of the installation is likely a nod to the "Citadel" from Wasteland, Fallout's spiritual ancestor, as both are important pre-war military structures, and the Brotherhood of Steel themselves are a nod to the inhabitants of the Citadel from Wasteland, the "Guardians of Old".
- After completing Who Dares Wins only one of the initiates in the ring area will be visible. The other one will be walking towards it holding a grenade.
- In the terminal that Roger Maxson, founder of the brotherhood of Steel, used to record his thoughts mentions both the NCR and The Vipers, and is found inside of the Citadel.
- Other than Lyons' Pride, any inhabitant of the Citadel in power armor will dress down to basic wasteland outfits to sleep, their power armor will not however be in their inventories available to take and nor will their basic clothing when they are in full armor.
Behind the scenesEdit
"The Citadel" was the original name of the Cathedral of Fallout in early design documents (like the Vault 13: A GURPS Post-Nuclear Adventure timeline), as it was also the name of a similar structure in Wasteland.
- ps3 xbox360 There are at least two Brotherhood of Steel initiates using the firing range, and one is firing a laser rifle. Nobody will become hostile if you shoot the laser rifle out of his hands, and he will start throwing frag grenades at the target. Many of his throws will either be off target or ricochet in various directions, causing numerous casualties among the nearby Brotherhood of Steel. When attempting this by using V.A.T.S., it is possible that if targeting the "weapon" too many times, the Initiate will take out a grenade almost instantaneously after the rifle is shot. If this happens you may accidentally shoot the grenade and kill the Initiate and anybody close. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 The radio in the bailey will continue to play GNR as if Three Dog is still alive after the player has killed him. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 pc It is possible to gain access to the Citadel as early as level 2 through a nearby hole North of the Citadel, atop a pile of rubble. The player can then speak to Paladin Gunny and receive Power Armor Training. [verified]
- xbox360 Utilizing this same method to access the Citadel, and then reading the Vault-Tec Terminal's entry on Vault 87 will prematurely trigger Picking Up the Trail, bypassing most of the questline and allowing players to potentially finish the Main Quest without even entering Vault 112, as well as cancelling out most of the Enclave's invasion of the Capital Wasteland (Enclave encampments do not appear unless The Waters of Life is finished, though troops still appear at Vault 87, Raven Rock, etc.). Characters will also speak as though James was dead, even if the relevant stage of The Waters of Life hasn't been reached, and Madison Li and her colleagues will speak as though they were already at the Citadel, even if they haven't departed from Rivet City. Also. the option to fast-travel to the Jefferson Memorial will still be available, as this also only becomes disabled by completing The Waters of Life.
- However, the above glitch will have to be utilized again to complete The American Dream, as the Citadel's entrance will still be sealed shut, though it will open for Lyons' Pride during Take it Back!. This may also lead to complications with The Waters of Life and Trouble on the Homefront depending on when the glitch is executed.
- ps3 It is possible for Angela Staley to spawn outside the Citadel upon fast traveling. She is capable of all her dialogue options as if she was in Rivet City. She immediately begins walking back to Rivet City, but can be spoken to. [verified]
- pc ps3 At the firing range, the Brotherhood of Steel initiate using a laser rifle will shoot through the wall every time he shoots. [verified]
- ps3 If when the Citadel gates first open, you walk against the door until you can get through, then open the door before the gate finishes opening, being in the Citadel you cannot gain bad karma and you can take anything without anybody considering it stealing and you won't get attacked by anyone for any reason. This glitch doesn't ever go away and the game and story can continue as normal. [verified]