| ||For the Fallout 3 add-on, see Operation: Anchorage (add-on).|
Let's wrap this thing up, soldier. We're cold, we're tired and we want our goddamn oil back!”— General Chase
|Main Quest: Operation: Anchorage!|
|Listen to General Chase's briefing.|
|Talk to Sergeant Montgomery.|
|Fight your way through the trenches.|
|Go to the far right Pulse Field control building.|
|Deactivate the pulse field.|
|Enter the Chinese Compound.|
|Kill General Jingwei||Convince General Jingwei to commit suicide.|
|Access the VSS armory in the Outcast Outpost.|
|Survive the mutiny.|
|Reward: 100 XP|
Power Armor Training perk (if not already possessed)
Covert Ops perk (optional)
Items within the now unlocked Outcast Outpost armoury.
The quest begins automatically after Paving the Way.
After destroying the Chimera fuel tanks and clearing the Listening Post of Chinese presence, the player can now enter the heart of the map in order to disable the Pulse Field barring American power armored soldiers from attacking the Chinese base of operations.
Disable the Pulse FieldEdit
This time the player has to make do without the assistance of their squad. Instead, Sergeant Montgomery alone accompanies the player. The first line of the enemies' defense includes scattered mortar fire followed by deep trenches. Once down in the trenches the player is confronted with various stealth units and snipers. After a while, the player arrives at the final line of Chinese defense, the Pulse Field. As demonstrated by American power armored soldiers, soldiers wearing power armor are not able to enter the field safely, which is why it's the player's job to head to the building on the far right and disarm it.
Enter the Chinese compoundEdit
With the last defensive barrier fallen, it is time for the assault on the Chinese compound, an occupied refinery. Once the field is disarmed the power armored soldiers begin their attack on the Chinese compound turrets, and eventually destroy the front gates revealing the door to the final confrontation with General Jingwei. Cross the field and enter the building.
Kill General JingweiEdit
Upon entering the refinery the player's character will freeze as Chinese soldiers and American Soldiers (with Benjamin Montgomery) begin to fight. Amongst this fighting the player will witness General Jingwei, commanding officer of the Chinese troops at Anchorage, calmly executing an American captive with his infamous shock sword.
In the following dialogue the player can convince him that the battle is lost through a Speech challenge, resulting in Jingwei committing seppuku with his sword to presumably "preserve his honor". If the player does not pass the Speech challenge, then the General will attack the player's character. He has unusually high HP, and is the strongest non-player character in the game, so make sure to come prepared. His shock sword also deals a considerable amount of damage.
Report to General Chase and leave the simulationEdit
Once Jingwei is defeated, all non-player character's are frozen in place and General Chase appears right in the middle of the final battle and tells the player that the simulation is over. He also rewards the player with the Covert Ops perk if one have obtained all Intel suitcases. The player then leaves the virtual reality and return to the VSS facility.
Gain access to the VSS armory and take what you wantEdit
Back in the simulation pod at the Outcast Outpost, the player can now proceed to the terminal at the opposite end of the floor (where the Outcasts are already waiting) and open the armory. Inside the player will find assorted weaponry, ammunition and other supplies including some unique items; refer to "Reward" below for a detailed listing.
Upon completion of the simulation, Defender Sibley and Protector McGraw start a dispute. Sibley does not want to share any of the unlocked equipment with the player whereas McGraw insists that "a deal is a deal". The disagreement results in a revolt by the Defender and most of the unnamed Outcasts against the Protector and Specialist Olin, with the player's character ending up as a target for the mutineers as well. If the player protects McGraw from Sibley's attack he will only reward the player with some friendly dialog. If Olin survives she offers the player her ability to repair their equipment, however her Repair skill is only equal to the regular Brotherhood scribes at 51%.
Upon completion of Operation: Anchorage the player acquires the Power Armor Training perk if they don't have it already. In addition, the player is granted access to an armory within the Outcast Outpost.
This room contains several unique weapons and armors:
- Winterized T-51b power armor
- Winterized T-51b power helmet
- Chinese stealth armor
- Jingwei's shocksword
- Trench knife
- Gauss rifle
Along with other more common items, such as:
- Chinese assault rifle
- Frag grenade
- Frag mine
- Pulse grenade
- Pulse mine
- Plasma grenade
- Plasma mine
- 5.56mm rounds
- Microfusion cells (7)
- Electron charge pack (7)
- Mini nuke
- Missile launcher
- First aid box
|10||Disable the Pulse Field|
|11||(Optional) Speak to Sergeant Montgomery to command your Strike Team|
|20||Enter the Chinese Compound|
|30||Kill General Jingwei|
|40||Report to General Chase for debriefing|
|50||Exit the Simulation|
|60||Access the VSS Armory|
|70||Quest finished||Enter the VSS Armory and take whatever you need|
The last 2 of the 10 Intel suitcases required for gaining the Covert Ops perk can be found during this mission. Please refer to the main article for their locations.
It's also possible to return to the areas to get the cases from Paving the Way, if they were missed.
- After being granted access to the VSS Armory, Defender Sibley and 3 unnamed Outcasts will become hostile towards Protector McGraw, Specialist Olin and the player, after a conversation between Sibley and McGraw. That's because Defender Sibley and the unnamed Outcasts don't want to share the loot with a "local."
- If the player attacks the traitors before they attack McGraw, all of the Outcasts will be hostile toward him.
- If the player attacks any of the Outcasts before entering the simulation, all of the Outcasts will continue to be hostile toward him once he leaves it.
- If the player attempts this quest before Paving the Way, it simulates an artillery barrage which automatically kills the player.
- The Power Armored soldier carrying the flamer can be engaged in a conversation, however there are no options and you automatically back out of the conversation. This might have something to do with him being the same soldier that is scripted to die in the EMP Field.
- Enemies with flamers only spawn when a certain proximity to their location has been reached. This is most likely to stop experienced players from killing them with grenades from a safe distance away.
- The event where a soldier wearing winterized T-51b power armor dies when crossing the EMP Field is scripted, because by wearing winterized T-51b power armor with console commands, you will not receive any damage.
- The player can also trick the quartermaster to obtain equipment of all teams (fire/sniper etc.). Simply submit the holotape to him and obtain relevant equipment and then inquire about changing the gear. Then proceed to obtain another holotape from the terminal and before submitting the same to Quartermaster, drop all your weapons (even in front of him would do). Then after you obtain your new equipment, simply pick them up and reload from the dispenser in the quartermaster's tent. You can also drop your ammo to get as much ammo as you want. It works great for getting a lot of missiles and grenades since you can't get those from the ammo dispenser.
- If the player takes the Winterized T-51b power armor in the "treasure room", he/she will automatically complete the quest You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head unless the quest is already completed or not on your Pip-Boy 3000.
Behind the scenesEdit
After you complete the first mission, the war correspondent asks several troops to strike a heroic pose. This pose is identical to that of the Anchorage Memorial. He also tells the troops that maybe someone will make a statue from the picture.
- ps3 xbox360 At times, after exiting the simulation your Geiger counter will continue to click. Reverting to a previous save anytime in the simulation will not fix it nor will moving to a different area or quitting to the main menu and reloading. You will need to restart your console to fix. Leaving the Outpost via the elevator will also fix this bug. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 On occasion, if you convince Jingwei to commit suicide, he will attempt to stab at himself, but he will miss, and still die. This can make some humorous results. [verified]
- ps3 pc If you enter the Chinese Compound at the same time as one of the power armor soldiers, sometimes you will be locked in the cinematic mode and will not be able to experience the dialog with Jingwei. Neither of you will be able to move and you must wait for one of the soldiers to kill him or quit the game and reload from the main menu. If you load from the menu, Jingwei's dialog should commence. [verified]
- ps3 pc xbox360 Sometimes, if you load an autosave of the Chinese HQ with Jingwei, you will be stuck in cinematic mode and the game will not continue. To fix this issue, load a different save file, or kill him using console commands if playing in the PC. [verified]
- ps3 pc xbox360 If you choose to fight Jingwei, after a fairly short period of time the T 51-b soldiers may turn hostile. Whether this is a bug or due to over sensitivity to friendly fire is unknown. [verified]
- pc xbox360 The Covert Ops perk may not appear in your Pip-Boy Perks after collecting all ten Intel suitcases. [verified]
- It is actually possible, using the same jump glitch trick used to obtain the smoke grenade, to skip straight to the fight with Jingwei that ends the Anchorage simulation. This can allow you to skip the Paving the Way quest, as well as the Operation: Anchorage! quest up until the final showdown with Jingwei. Once you've gotten outside the normal map boundary area, simply walk along the top of the long white pipe, following it all the way across the map to the Chinese Occupied Factory. The missile barrage will not strike you if you do this. It would be a wise idea to sneak once you near the end, as the two turrets located on the guard walls of the factory will spot you and fire at you. Once all the way across, drop down to the right of the pipe. The drop is significant, but if executed right, you will not lose any health. Once on the ground, you will be inside of the guard walls, but the factory is simply the uncompleted version that you see from the outside, meant only as background imagery (i.e. buildings can be walked through, and have clear walls once inside). However, if you walk toward the front doors of the compound, it prompts you to enter. Once you click to enter the doors, it starts the final battle, where Jingwei assassinates a member of the army. You must defeat Jingwei, as you normally would, and the simulation will end. Defeating Jingwei may be harder than it normally would be, but this is not confirmed. It is important to note, however, that if you choose to do this, "Paving the Way" is still listed as a quest in your PipBoy, and it will remain there for the rest of the game, and you will be unable to complete it. [verification needed]
- pc When in the hallway of the listening post you can somehow complete picking up the trail by talking to Montgomery without ever being close to the caves. [verification overdue]