One for My Baby
|Side Quest: One for My Baby|
|Talk to Craig Boone about his wife, you can obtain this knowledge from Manny Vargas.|
|Take someone to the front of the dinosaur.|
|Equip Boone's beret.|
|Return to Boone and convince him with a Speech check.|
|Reward: 250 XP|
1st Recon Beret
|Leads to: I Forgot to Remember to Forget|
|Go to the Dino Dee-lite front desk, open the floor safe behind the desk, and take the Bill of sale. You can gain access to the safe in various ways:|
|Steal Jeannie May's safe key from Jeannie May Crawford.||Open the safe with a lockpick check.||Have Boone kill Jeannie May Crawford preemptively and loot Jeannie May's safe key from her corpse.|
|Lead Jeannie May Crawford to the front of the dinosaur between 10 P.M and 9 A.M, when Boone is in the dinosaur.|
|Talk to Boone.|
|Reward: 250 XP|
1st Recon Beret
|Leads to: I Forgot to Remember to Forget|
1. Go to Novac between 9 PM and 9 AM. Find the giant dinosaur and enter it. Once inside, head up the stairs and go through the door at the top. You should meet a man named Boone. Talk to him about his wife and you will receive the quest to find out who sold his wife off to slavers so he may kill them. He also gives you his beret to wear as a signal to fire on the person you bring in front of the Dino.
2. You are then given the task to talk to select inhabitants of Novac. Luckily, you only need to talk to one of them in order to progress in the quest. This person is No-bark Noonan, an older man that seems a little out of his mind. You can find his shack behind the motel. Talk to No-Bark about Boone's wife and he will tell you about strange business in the motel lobby. (If you have a high enough speech level you can finish the quest without evidence. Just talk to Boone after talking to No-Bark Noonan.)
3. Head to the Dino Dee-lite Front Desk and check behind the counter to find a safe in the floor. This safe is locked and will require you to either lock pick it (easy skill) or pickpocket the key from Jeannie (there is no loss of Karma). Inside the safe you will find a note titled Bill of Sale. This document tells of how Jeannie May Crawford sold Boone's wife off to slavers.
4. Now you have the evidence, so wait until Boone is at the sniping spot (between 10 PM and 9 AM) to confront Jeannie and ask her to take a stroll with you in front of the dinosaur. Once in front of the dinosaur put on the beret and Boone will kill Jeannie and your job is done.(Remember that Boone has to be in the T-Rex ready to shoot before the dialogue that allows you to lure Jeannie May to get shot appears as a dialogue choice)
5. Head up to Boone. He will ask you how you knew it was her (this is where getting the evidence comes into play) and you tell him about the bill of sale you found. If you did not get the evidence you can use speech on him but if that fails he may try to kill you or he may get angry, snatch his beret back, and say that he doesn't ever want to see you again (thus no option of him being a companion, obviously). If you told him about the evidence you can keep talking to him and make him become your companion. Upon joining you, you will gain the Spotter perk.
- To complete this quest as quick as possible and with no loss of Karma, make sure you have first acquired your discount with Cliff Briscoe through the "What is this place?" - "Where can I get some supplies?" dialogue with Jeannie May. After getting the beret from Boone, simply walk to Jeannie May and use the option that asks her to meet you in front of the dinosaur. Once you're in position in front of the dinosaur, equip Boone's beret. After she has been shot, loot Jeannie May's safe key from her corpse. You will receive no negative Karma from opening the floor safe in the Dino Dee-lite, or from looting the Bill of Sale quest item. Take the item directly to Boone and the quest will be completed without ever having to talk to anyone else.
- After accepting the mission, you can go talk to Manny and get him to walk in front of the dinosaur where Boone will kill him, whereupon you can get some good loot from Manny's corpse (including his beret which carries a +5 critical hit chance) without getting any negative Karma, though Boone will be angry at the lack of evidence as mentioned above and not be your companion unless a Speech check is passed (55). However the same +crit beret is given as a reward for completing the quest correctly (sending Jeannie May). If this alternative is chosen, the side mission of clearing out REPCONN Test Site should be completed and turned in first. Killing Boone will also let you loot the +crit beret.
|1||Send someone in front of Dinky the Dinosaur. Put on the beret to signal to Boone that this is the culprit.|
|2||(Optional) Ask around Novac for information about who kidnapped Boone's wife.|
|3||(Optional) Look for evidence of the guilty party inside the Dino Dee-lite lobby.|
|4||Quest finished||Return to Boone.|
- Boone will refuse conversation with you if your relationship with the NCR is below Neutral; however, wearing NCR armor will make it possible to talk with him.
- If you use Boone's beret to repair any other beret before having him kill Jeannie May Crawford or anyone else, you cannot complete the quest. You NEED Boone's beret.
- If you accidentally give Boone your Recon beret it will disappear and he won't like it if you take his (it's just invisible in the inventory, you can take his and he'll still have one).This is due to the fact that the Recon berets are stackable, so even though you have more than one, it will still show that you only have one.
- If you told the wrong person to go and stand in front of the dinosaur, simply let that person walk over, but do not equip the beret. Boone will not shoot. At this point, whoever you sent over will walk back, and you can go and ask someone else to go and stand there.
- After Jeannie May Crawford is killed, talk to Cliff Briscoe, "I think it's time we give something back to you" will appear in his dialogue box, but actually he says "I think it's time we give everything back to you" in voice.
- This dialogue will only happen if you are at least Accepted in Novac.
- If you chose Jeannie May as Boone's target, the next time you speak to Cliff Briscoe, he will inform you that he is the new proprietor of the motel and gives you the key, you will have the option to say "I killed Jeannie May. Do I still get my discount?", although Boone was technically her killer. Should you choose this option, you will be asked why, and each possible reply produces slightly different reactions, but he will not turn hostile, nor will your reputation with Novac be damaged in any way. Indeed, given the nature of the situation, he seems rather untroubled, presenting the player with the usual dialogue choices.
- After asking around about Boone's wife it is fairly logical to assume that Crawford sold her so Boone would stay in town, as she is repeatedly mentioned to want to leave Novac and go back to New Vegas. However, it's hinted through dialogue with Jeannie May Crawford that her motives were more personal. Once acquiring the evidence, speak to Jeannie May and select "Where's the quickest way out of this dump?" Jeannie will launch into a tirade about 'finicky types' who criticize her town, indicating that the reason she sold Boone's wife was because she made some similar comments. This is also evidenced by various Novac non-player characters who testify to Carla's hostile attitude.
- After completing the quest with the evidence against Crawford, the player can steal from the Dino Dee-lite Front desk office with no loss of Karma.
- After cracking the safe, take 'Bill of Sale' note only, stealing the other items may result in some Novac infamy, you can take them all after completing this quest, however.
- Keeping Boone's 1st Recon beret on after he shoots Crawford will allow it to remain in your inventory, and if worn will occasionally be commented on by non-player characters.
- If you kill Crawford yourself, you cannot advance the quest. There is no available dialogue option to advise Boone of this.
- If Boone shoots Jeannie May, Novac settlers will comment about it when spoken to.
- pc On rare occasions, non-player character's (including Jeannie's) AI walking script will stop working. As a workaround, the player must push the non-player character to the location to complete the quest. More convenient alternative is to get to intended position, open console and type in two commands: prid 0008d74c (selecting Jeannie after telling her to go in front of the dinosaur), moveto player
- pc xbox360 ps3 Sometimes you will not have the talk option to make Jeannie May follow you in front of the Dinosaur. The best way to fix this is to talk to Jeannie outside when she leaves around midnight or talk to her in her home while she is sleeping. If this doesn't work, simply exiting, then re-entering the Dino-Deelite Lobby or Jeannie May's house will bring back the dialogue option.
- xbox360 Obtaining the evidence before talking to No-Bark will result in a quest completion for the optional objectives.
- xbox360 Sometimes the evidence will not appear in the safe, halting your progress unless high enough speech is available to convince Boone without it.
- xbox360 Sometimes upon trying to complete the quest, there will be no chat option to show Boone the Bill of Sale, rendering the companion recruitment broken.
- pc xbox360 ps3 After completing the quest Boone's beret might remain in your inventory.
- pc ps3 Sometimes, even if you have the Bill of Sale, you will not get the option to bring it up, even if Jeannie May is killed.
Behind the scenes
- The quest's name is a reference to an old crooner song "One For My Baby (and One More For the Road)" by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer. It was popularized by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., and Billie Holiday.