Old School Ghoul
Maybe I'm not as tough as I used to be, but my brains can make up for that, and my hands are still quick enough. It's time to put the guns back on.”— Raul Tejada
Activating the questEdit
Raul Tejada, the ghoul found captive at Black Mountain, must be the player's active companion when the player initiates dialogue with Ranger Andy in Novac, Corporal Sterling in Camp McCarran (or Camp Forlorn Hope) and Loyal at Nellis Air Force Base. There is no set order to which non-player character you approach first, but all three must be spoken to until their dialogue trees have been exhausted. At the end of each interaction, Raul will start a conversation with the player that revolves around both his observation of the characters and anecdotes about his history.
|Unmarked Quest: Old School Ghoul|
|Speak with Ranger Andy in Novac.|
|Let Raul speak to the player about Ranger Andy.|
|Travel to Camp McCarran or Camp Forlorn Hope and speak to Corporal Sterling.|
|Let Raul speak to the player about Sterling.|
|Travel to Nellis Air Force Base and speak to Loyal.|
|Let Raul speak to the player about Loyal.|
|Help Raul decide on whether or not to pick up his guns again.|
|Reward: Old Vaquero OR Full Maintenance depending on choice.|
Talk to Ranger Andy with Raul present. The key topics are what he does in Novac ("what do you do here?"), and what happened to his leg ("Did something happen to your leg?" or "What happened?"). Raul must hear these answers, so you may need to repeat dialog you've already had with Andy. Learning the takedown move is NOT necessary, but doesn't hurt. After this, leave the building and wait a few seconds for Raul to run up to you and talk. Raul will initiate a dialogue concerning the player's opinion of Ranger Andy's place as a crippled, older man in a harsh world. The choices made by the player will influence which way Raul decides to proceed at the end of the quest, ultimately affecting the player's reward. The player has an opportunity to hear part of Raul's story but may skip this portion of the dialogue at no penalty.
The player must then travel to either Camp McCarran or Camp Forlorn Hope depending on the completion status of the quest Three-Card Bounty. The player must speak with Corporal Sterling, a 1st Recon NCR sniper stationed with the rest of his squad at Camp McCarran, defending the region against fiends. If the bounties have all already been turned in to Major Dhatri during the quest "Three-Card Bounty", his squad will have been reassigned to Camp Forlorn Hope. After initiating and ending conversation with Sterling, Raul will initiate a dialogue similar to the one held after learning the takedown move from Ranger Andy.
Upon completion of the first conversation, the player must travel to Nellis Air Force Base and initiate a similar conversation with Loyal. He can typically be found in either his own house or the hangar housing the bomber. After ending the conversation, Raul will initiate a final conversation wherein he ties the stories of the three men the player has met thus far to his own story. He will decide to either return to his gunslinging vaquero ways or relegate himself to a quieter life of machine (and armament) maintenance. The decision at which he will arrive is influenced entirely by the player's dialogue responses during the progression of this quest. However, the player has the opportunity to sway him to the other alternative with a speech skill of 66.
If the player convinces Raul to return to the ways of his gunslinging past, then, after completing the final dialogue, Raul will receive the Old Vaquero perk, increasing his fire rate with revolvers and lever-action rifles by 33%. Raul's outfit will change to the Vaquero outfit, and he will continue to provide the Regular Maintenance perk, which halves the rate of equipment degradation.
If the player convinces Raul not to return to the way of the vaquero, but to contribute in other ways, then Raul's outfit will change to the Armored Petró-Chico outfit, and the Regular Maintenance perk will be replaced by the Full Maintenance perk, which halves again the rate of equipment degradation.
- The non-player characters can be talked to in any order.
- If the quest doesn't start, speak to Loyal and Raul will come talk to you, then you can proceed to speaking to the other two non-player characters. (This was an issue on PS3.)
- If Raul doesn't come to talk to you after speaking with one of the people, try leaving the location of the person you had talked to, this seemed to work when speaking with Ranger Andy and Corporal Sterling.
- pc If you have already learned the Ranger Takedown technique from Ranger Andy in Novac without Raul present, you can correct this by using the console and typing the following exactly: [verified]
- set "000e61a5".MetRangerAndy to 1. This must be done in an indoor area. Transition to an outdoor area and Raul should initiate conversation. If that console command doesn't do the trick, try set "000e61a5".MetRangerAndy to 2, then talk to Raul and pick his new dialogue option about Ranger Andy.
- Worth a try if nothing else is working with the Ranger Andy/Raul interaction. If you have already completed all dialogue options with Ranger Andy, open the console and target Ranger Andy, or enter prid 0008f0b8. You can reset all his dialogue options by entering rdf. (This will also reset any other NPC dialogue, so be careful!) Once you've done this, close the console and speak to Ranger Andy. He will now talk to you as if you'd never met, allowing you to trigger the Raul interaction, once you walk outside, if he is in your party.
- Also, if you are not able to access Raul's story after speaking with Corporal Sterling, you can input a similar console command: set "000e61a5".MetCorporalSterling to 1. Again, if the previous console command doesn't help you can try set "000e61a5".MetCorporalSterling to 2 and select the dialogue line about Sterling.
- And, lastly, if Raul is making problems about not giving you the dialogue after meeting Loyal, you can of course use the console to fix that as well: set "000e61a5".MetLoyal to 1 will open the "spontaneous" dialogue, set "000e61a5".MetLoyal to 2 will give you the ability to talk to him — "You wanted to say something about Loyal…".
- pc ps3 xbox360 It is possible that Raul will engage in conversation with the player about Loyal even if Volare! has been completed and Loyal's conversation tree has been exhausted. This event was triggered just by walking close to Loyal. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 It is possible that Ranger Andy will not engage in dialog at all, resulting in an inability to progress in the quest. Even though the HUD will zoom in to make it seem as if he is about to talk, the HUD will automatically zoom back out, making it impossible to speak with Ranger Andy. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 It is possible that the player will be unable to talk with Corporal Sterling (sometimes other members of 1st Recon are also affected). He only replies with a generic line without opening dialogue if he is stationed at Camp Forlorn Hope. This happens if a player asks 1st Recon stationed in Camp McCarran for help taking down Driver Nephi and kills him solo, so members of 1st Recon are transferred to Camp Forlorn Hope. This may be fixed by spawning Driver Nephi and letting the rangers kill him: player.placeleveledactoratme 000f56ff. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 It is possible that talking to Ranger Andy in Novac will not trigger Raul to speak to the player. This will make it impossible to start the quest, even if you have not learned Ranger Takedown prior to having Raul with you. Note: this bug may be corrected on the PC version by using console commands. See the section marked "Quick Walkthrough" for details.Using the Xbox, load the the pervious auto save from exiting the bungalow, and then Raul will initiate the dialogue.[verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 After Patch 1.02 it is now possible to initiate the quest by talking to Ranger Andy after learning the Ranger Takedown Move, though you must still have Raul as a companion at the time. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Raul doesn't start the final conversation after talking to all 3 Characters and receiving all 3 NPC-related dialogues from Raul. To avoid this, the player must not talk to Loyal after completing the quest Volare!, when he thanks the player for making his dreams a reality; can't initiate the side-quest I Don't Hurt Anymore AND talk to Corporal Sterling; can't talk to Ranger Andy prior to having Raul as a companion. After having Raul as a companion you can talk with Loyal, Corporal Sterling and Ranger Andy in whatever order you want, as long these conditions have been fulfilled. (This was tested in three different playthroughs.) Sometimes, if the final conversation does not occur, it can be remedied by declining to continue listening to Raul's conversation after speaking to the last person, by saying "Not now Raul", and then re-entering the related dialog (on xbox with Corporal Sterling last).
- PC Users: If Raul won't initiate the final conversation, open the console, click on Raul and try the following commands: set "000e61a5".RepairTrack to 2 followed by set "000e61a5".GunSlingerTrack to 2 and finally startconversation player vDialogueRaulRaulTejadaTopic084. [verified]
- Note that it's not case sensitive, and you MUST click on Raul before entering the "startconversation" command.
- ps3 There is a possibility that if you fast-travel immediately after exiting Ranger Andy's Bungalow, Raul's dialogue option will not be triggered. Just wait a minute to see if you get the trigger. Note: This may have been fixed in a patch, as if you "Talk To" Raul, you can scroll down & ask him what he wanted to say after visiting Ranger Andy's, but didn't have the chance to. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 A known bug occurs with Loyal where he sometimes disappears from the game. If you complete Volare! before recruiting Raul, Loyal may no longer be present at Nellis, making the quest impossible to finish. [verified]
- xbox360 A known bug occurs with Corporal Sterling where he sometimes disappears from the game. After completing the quest Three-Card Bounty, when Corporal Sterling and 1st Recon should be relocated to Camp Forlon Hope, they all disappear instead, making the quest impossible to finish. [verified]