There's one place you find on a tourist map of D.C. and it's lovely suburbs, and that's the cozy little villa known as Old Olney. Ah, but you locals, you know the place. Am I right? It's become a veritable Wasteland legend. Why? Cause it's filled with goddamned deathclaws! I met a guy once, name was Johnny 12 Fingers, had one arm. Turns out the other one was ripped off while he was scavving in Deathclaw central. Lucky he made it out alive, most people don't, at least not in one piece.”— Three Dog, after the completion of Shock Value
There is no known history about Old Olney, other than its status as another casualty of the Great War. Sometime after the war, it was occupied by mercenaries who built fortifications, although it eventually became a breeding ground for deathclaws. In the Broken Steel add-on, the Lone Wanderer must enter Old Olney in search of a Tesla coil to be utilized in defense of the Citadel, following the destruction of Liberty Prime. Here, they may come across two ghouls, Kidd and Wint who, based on dialog choice, may reveal that ghouls had earlier attempted to make a living in Old Olney.
The town itself is about a 500 by 500 foot square. It doesn't seem to be a residential town, but there is what looks to be apartments in the southeast corner. There is a main street that runs east-west and usually has three deathclaws wandering around. To the north is a large parking lot with derelict cars scattered about. Deathclaws are found throughout the town, especially on the eastern outskirts near the town hall.
There are two entrances to the Old Olney sewer. One is a circular sewer manhole located between two ruined buildings in the southwest corner of town. The second is a grate "trap-door", located in the northeast corner of Old Olney, two blocks north of the fire station. It is not obvious, but you can climb out of the trap by using one of the sides as a ladder. The unique prototype medic power armor is located in these sewers on the dead body of a Brotherhood of Steel Initiate, near the corpses of a mercenary and a wastelander. Members of the Brotherhood of Steel say that they did not go to recover the armor because of the deathclaws.
Old Olney is infested by deathclaws. There appear to be a total of 7 of them roaming the town, although the actual number will vary at times. There are several deathclaws occupying the Old Olney sewer as well. The deathclaws eventually respawn, so it is impossible to "clear" the town permanently. If Broken Steel is installed, there are two non-hostile ghouls and several dead ghouls in the Old Olney Underground.
- Carl Wallace's Nuka-Cola accident report may be found in front of Old Olney's firehouse, but Carl's Nuka-Cola Truck is located east-southeast of Old Olney, past a broken elevated highway and close to a Red Rocket refueling station, and contains 5 Nuka-Cola Quantums.
- A mailbox just north of the Nuka-Cola truck contains a copy of Guns and Bullets; the player can see the mailbox from the back of the truck.
- In a burned out bus is a U.S. Army: 30 Handy Flamethrower Recipes, southeast past the broken highway, almost at Grisly diner.
- Just northeast of the burned out bus there is a Nuka-Cola Quantum at a spot with cars planted into the ground making a make- shift shelter.
Old Olney SewerEdit
- In the eastern most room there is a mini nuke, which is behind a Very Hard locked door to the left of the safe.
- The prototype medic power armor can be found deep within the Old Olney sewer. It is worn by a dead Brotherhood Initiate.
- There is a Nuka-Cola Quantum behind an ammunition box in a room with four beds; it is located next to the bed with the missile launcher. This same room also contains a Fat Man just beneath the 3 wall safes.
- There is a copy of Duck and Cover! at the dead end of a cave passage that starts nearby the prototype medic power armor. Right next to a skeleton, at the end of the tunnel.
- Fast-traveling to Old Olney deposits you in the middle of the town, where you are likely to be immediately swarmed by deathclaws. At least two deathclaws patrol the alley in which you appear. It is much safer to fast-travel to Vault 92, which is located immediately to the West of Old Olney.
- If you came here in search of Nuka-Cola Quantum, you will find a note next to the skeleton of Carl Wallace, in front of the fire house (in the southeast corner of town), giving a report that his truck has crashed just east of the town, next to a gas station. Traveling east, in the direction of Chaste Acres Dairy Farm, you will spot the crashed truck, which contains several Nuka-Cola Quantums, not far from the town.
- Dave from the Republic of Dave will travel to Old Olney should he lose the election at the end of the quest Election Day. With the deathclaw infestation, he will almost certainly die unless the player intervenes.
- If Dave actually survives the trip, he will camp out in the middle of the town, next to some trash bins and dead raiders (this is right on the spot in the middle of town in which you appear if you fast-travel to Old Olney). Dave will threaten you to leave "The New Republic of Dave" if you attempt to talk to him; if you do this three times he will open fire on you. Killing him makes the remaining citizens of the Republic of Dave hostile against you and you will not incur Karma loss for killing them. However, if you kill him by a sneak attack, the inhabitants of the Republic of Dave will not become hostile.
- To the east of Old Olney, there is a freeway. You can get onto this freeway by a nearby on-ramp, and from there you can pick off the two or three deathclaws roaming the eastern outskirts of the town.
- To the west of Old Olney after The Waters of Life quest, there is an Enclave camp on the old broken road. As you are approaching the camp, one soldier will fire a flamer into a trailer in the camp; upon examination of the trailer, you will find dead wastelanders and some purified water inside. According to the terminal, Enclave soldiers are offering wastelanders purified water in exchange for screening to see if they are appropriate to their human standards or not. Non-appropriate wastelanders are slain by flame so as not to waste any 'resources'. Also, according to the terminal entries, Enclave soldiers are searching for 'feral' creatures; of course, the Enclave is under the impression all ghouls are feral. According to the entry, there are also at least two deathclaws in the trailer (but they are nowhere to be found).
- A short cave-like tunnel extends from the room in which the prototype medic power armor is found. At the end of the tunnel is a battery-powered lamp, a Duck and Cover! magazine, a skeleton and a large wooden spoon. Presumably the game designers intended to give the impression that the person whose corpse is at the end of the tunnel dug his way there using the spoon.
- If you scrambled the deathclaws, you still need to deal with them.
- Throughout the Capital Wasteland, it is possible to overhear a conversation between raiders, mentioning some of their rookies encountering "Monsters" and "claws of death" up North, likely referring to Old Olney and its infestation of deathclaws. This may also explain the bodies of raiders that are found in the city.
Old Olney appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Old Olney is named after Olney, Maryland. Olney is 6–7 miles northeast of Rockville, MD, where Bethesda Softworks is currently residing.
- pc ps3 xbox360 A dead mercenary's body lies on the doorstep of a building on the east edge of Old Olney. He possesses two laser rifles; one in the game world next to his corpse and one in his inventory. This is presumably a goof. There may be a laser rifle and a stimpak next to a pool of blood. [verified]
- ps3 If walking towards Vault 92, there is a dead-end with several blocks and other rubble. It is possible to jump onto these rocks and walk on air, around that building. [verified]
- pc xbox360 Sometimes ALL of the deathclaws will be found down in the sewer, making for a difficult fight. [verified]
- pc ps3 Occasionally, Deathclaws will spawn outside of the fence separating Old Olney from the Capital Wasteland. [verified]