All of our best equipment was stored in there. Weapons, ammo, schematics, you name it.”— Ronnie Shaw regarding the Castle armory
|Minutemen main quest: Old Guns|
|Return to the Castle.|
|Open the access to the lower tunnels by clearing the rubble through the workshop.|
|Explore the lower tunnels and destroy Sarge.|
|Gain access to the Castle's armory.|
|Talk to Ronnie Shaw.|
|Build an artillery piece and assign a settler to it at the Castle.|
|Follow Ronnie Shaw.|
|Head to the target area.|
|(Optional) Keep the radio on and tuned to Radio Freedom.|
|Throw an Artillery smoke grenade into the target area.|
|Speak to Preston Garvey.|
|Reward: 300+ XP|
Artillery smoke grenade
Ronnie Shaw at The Castle
|Leads to: With Our Powers Combined|
Starting the questEdit
This quest can be received from Preston Garvey in Sanctuary at a certain point in the game. Alternatively, a few days after securing the castle, one will be approached and engaged in conversation by a woman named Ronnie Shaw, or by listening to Radio Freedom. She tells of the old Castle's untapped armory. After some dialogue, the Old Guns quest will begin. Ronnie will lead the player to a large hydraulic steel door within the Castle. Since the door cannot be opened from the outside, the player character will need to find another way around. Ronnie then leads them inside the Castle's halls into the old general's office where a hallway (now blocked by rubble) leads to the armory.
Ronnie Shaw will ask to clear the rubble. Using the workshop, the Sole Survivor can clear said rubble and gain access to the lower tunnels leading to the armory. This is done simply by scrapping the rubble in workshop mode. Inside are a few rooms with general junk and a shelf with ten cannonballs for the Broadsider. There are also some minor defenses--mines and a single level-dependent turret. This initial area has some environmental radiation. Just beyond, across from the chemistry station is a power generator with a fusion core.
Guarding the far entrance is a heavy sentry bot called Sarge. Once the bot is destroyed, Shaw will gain access into the next room where General McGann's body is found and a computer containing his last entries. The next door leads to the West Bastion.
Shaw will access a terminal that will open the armory. Inside is an array of plunder, including an artillery schematic and some artillery smoke grenades (inside a yellow ammo box container on the metal shelf), which are needed for the next part of the quest. After taking the schematic, it will add an artillery piece to the workshop under a new Special category. Speak to Ronnie and she will ask to build the artillery piece. Place it (some pre-existing spots exist on the walls if preferred) and assign a settler to them. After doing this, speak to Ronnie again and she wants to test the new artillery.
Testing the Artillery GunsEdit
Shaw asks the Sole Survivor to keep the Minutemen radio station on (Radio Freedom), (this is an optional task) and to throw a grenade into the test site (shown on the compass, and with a quest marker). If the radio station is on, the Sole Survivor will hear Ronnie speaking on it. On approaching the test site, throw an artillery smoke grenade into the site and step back. After a few seconds the guns will fire and Ronnie will say the test was a success. After this, speak to Preston Garvey and complete the quest.
- Sarge can occasionally be trapped in the room using the archway. This allows a (relatively) easy kill, as one simply needs to duck out of cover and unload with any weak weapons for which one has spare ammo.
- If having already built up the settlement at the Castle and are unable to build the artillery piece in the Workshop as required for the quest, one may need to reduce the settlement size first. The Sole Survivor can do this by removing some built items, which should allow it to then be built and placed.
- Most companions present at the Castle will "like" the testing of the artillery guns, so beforehand send them all to the Castle using "move" in Workshop mode to collectively boost their approval rating. Paladin Danse will dislike it, stating that the Sole Survivor just handed the Minutemen the tools to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel.
- After the quest is complete, Ronnie will become available as a weapons and ammo vendor.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
There is a reference to the short story The Cask of Montresor's Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe during this quest. After entering the locked room with General McGann's body inside, the player character can find Amontillado wine next to the corpse as well as a broken wall with a skeleton shackled inside across from the body. In the short story, a man hates another for insulting him. As revenge for the slight, the murderer lures his victim down into a cellar by promising him a drink of Amontillado wine, and buries him alive inside a wall in this same fashion. This short story was actually based on an urban legend about Fort Independence, wherein an officer is buried alive by the soldiers for killing a favored officer in a duel.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- pc Deactivating Sarge with Robotics perk doesn't trigger next script, the player character needs to destroy the robot to proceed or on PC open console and type setstage 000aa778 470. If Ronnie still does not react set the stage to 480 to open the door. [verified]
- pc If starting the quest after having already retrieved either the artillery blueprints or smoke grenades (via console commands, etc), one will not be able to progress. However this can be fixed by adding the smoke grenades to the inventory if not having any. [verified]
- pc Ronnie Shaw may get stuck "taking a knee" if knocked out during the fight with Sarge, preventing her from progressing the quest. Going back upstairs and returning, or sleeping in a bed in the room seems to reset her and allows her to work on the terminal. [verified]
- pc xboxone ps4 Ronnie stops being a vendor and gets locked in "trade mode" when talked to even when she is in the armory. Seems to happen at random.[verified]
- pc Tuning into Radio Freedom after throwing the smoke grenade may cause the broadcaster to leave his post and refuse to return. [verified] To fix:
- Open up console using ~
- Select the radio transmitter (hex value should be 0009FF48[EP])
- Type: setpapyrusvar bAllowPlayerAssignment True.
- Assign any settler to the radio transmitter; this should force the minute man to sit down and start using it again.
- pc The artillery may fail to fire after throwing the smoke grenade, completing all other quest objectives without triggering the "Speak to Preston Garvey" objective, rendering the quest unbeatable. Applying the radio-fix above, and then throwing another smoke grenade to the same area as earlier in the quest, can trigger the artillery, and the quest will continue. [verified] Another possible fix is to use a command to modify the timescale:
- Open up console using ~
- Type: set timescale 50.
- Wait and see if the artillery is firing and if your quest can go on
- Revert back to timescale default value, type: set timescale 20.
- pc ps4 Radio operator may complain that he can not use the radio as it needs more power even though the required amount of power is provided. Refuses to sit at radio and no other NPC can be assigned to task.If it occurs before old guns is completed it renders this quest uncompleteable. Could be linked with Ronnie Shaw suddenly stop being a vendor. [verified]
- pc Ronnie gets stuck behind the door that the computer terminal needs to open and the terminal says inaccessible. This happens when Ronnie takes a knee in the hallway prior to entering the room with the sentry bot. When a bottle cap mine is placed at the right corner of the rooms doorway and the sentry bot triggers it. When the mine goes off Ronnie disappears and the sentry bot gets stuck. Once the bot is defeated Ronnie appears behind the security door and cannot come through to unlock the terminal. [verified]
- pc ps4 When doing the "Old guns" quest, once underground in the Castle's armory, there is a chance Ronnie Shaw can die and spawn in the other side of the room preventing her from opening the door that only she is able to open, which is game breaking as it prevents you from completing the quest. [verified]
- pc To fix, move Ronnie to the player with 3a458.moveto player.
- pc When Ronnie leads the player outside for a test firing after building the artillery and collecting the smoke grenades, If extensive work had been done on the walls and/or outside prior or before this quest, Ronnie will continually attempt to reach the location needed for the test fire, but the quest will never progress.[verified]
- pc To fix, progress the stage manually with setstage Min03 800.
- If you already cleared the tunnels before Ronnie entered the door,she will thank you for clearing it and then walk away and walk the perimeter and get stuck near the original water purifier. [platforms tag needed][verification overdue]
- When asked to talk to Ronnie Shaw, the player may be continually asked to find the "artillery schematics and smoke grenades". The only possible way to bypass this glitch is to use noclip on PC and use a chair glitch to get through the armory door. [platforms tag needed][verification overdue]