The quarry is inhabited by many trappers. The center area of the quarry is comprised of a water filled ditch containing a number of mirelurks, along with an array of explosives which can be triggered from a safe distance via a button located on the balcony of a shack overlooking the quarry on the north end. The explosives can be detonated repeatedly, effectively killing any mirelurks staying in the ditch. Once all mirelurks have been dispatched, a mirelurk queen will emerge from the watery ditch, upon which the explosives will no longer work, therefore the queen must be taken out via a different method. There are also several shacks towards the west side of the quarry, one of which has a tension trigger connected to its door, releasing a frag grenade upon opening unless disabled.
The interior area of the quarry can be accessed by a door in the north east area, at the back wall of a smaller area of the ditch littered with mirelurk eggs. Inside is a small tunnel with a sizeable amount of trappers located on a large wooden support at the back of the cave. At the back wall on the supports there is a steamer trunk.
- Islander's Almanac issue #1 (5% less damage from mirelurk melee attacks) - On a table at the foot of the bed next to the steamer trunk in the interior area.
- Fusion core - Inside the booby trapped shack to the southwest.
- Northwood Quarry notes - Note 1 is in the same booby-trapped shack on a desk. Note 2 is lying on a table in the large shack assembly in the quarry's center.
- Mini nuke - Inside the main shack, to the left after entering.
- Vault-Tec lunchbox - On the roof of the main shack, next to a garden gnome with a lit cigar in his mouth.