Founded on May 15, 1905, Las Vegas was a golden jewel in Nevada and the entire Southwest Commonwealth. Las Vegas's main strip and surrounding areas were saved from complete destruction thanks to Mr. House's foresight in preparing for eventual worldwide war. As the Great War started, Mr. House used his considerable genius and wealth to ensure that most of the missiles would miss the city of Las Vegas with the use of his surface-to-air long range missiles and long-range laser turrets on the roof of his Lucky 38 casino. Though a few warheads did manage to get through these defenses, a good portion of the main city and strip were spared from nuclear destruction.
For some years, the Strip was run by tribal families, until, in 2274, Mr. House sent out PDQ-88b securitron scouts to negotiate with them using his considerable resources, up to and including threats of violence. Mr. House's stockpiles could be used for or against the tribals in exchange for their help. Some of the tribes resisted, but three of the largest and most powerful tribes eventually gained Mr. House's favor. They became the Omertas, the Chairmen, and the White Glove Society. These tribes began running the Gomorrah, Tops and Ultra-Luxe casinos respectively, shortly after House discovered the New California Republic exploring the Mojave. The rest were either evacuated into Freeside or promptly killed. Because Mr. House was dedicated to restoring the Strip, he insisted on transforming the tribes into families with cultures that hearkened back to Vegas' glory days.
In the process of rebuilding the Strip, Mr. House won control over the residents of Vault 21 after a gambling match with the vault's best players. After they evacuated, House had the vault stripped of useful technology, most of its actual volume filled with concrete, and the entrance turned into a gift shop with the lower levels remaining converted into a small hotel. While the families were rebuilding the casinos, the rest of the locals were hard at work erecting an enormous wall around the Strip. When NCR traders and explorers arrived on the scene, they were amazed at the Strip and returned back to California with tales of opulence and great wealth awaiting travelers.
Eventually, when the NCR military itself arrived, they were surprised to find the Strip so well-protected and heavily policed. Though they struck a deal with Mr. House to establish a base in the area (along with control of Hoover Dam) the NCR has never had control of the Strip. After the First Battle of Hoover Dam the NCR negotiated to allow for a military police presence on the Strip, but their influence still remains small.
Though the tribes that became the Strip's families were once hatefully opposed to each other, the demands of Mr. House have forced the families to play nice. They continue to hold long-standing grudges, but do not act openly against each other for fear of angering Mr. House.
The Strip is the heart of New Vegas. When entering through the Strip North Gate, Gomorrah is to the right and the Lucky 38 is to the left. Further down the street is a gate to another area of the strip, which leads to The Tops casino, the Ultra-Luxe and the Camp McCarran monorail. Beyond that through a third gate is Vault 21, Michael Angelo's workshop, and the NCR Embassy.
- Big Sal
- Billy Knight
- Chairman greeter
- Dennis Crocker
- Emily Ortal
- Ethel Phebus
- Heck Gunderson
- Mr. Holdout
- Liza O'Malley
- Michael Angelo
- Mr. New Vegas
- NCR military police
- NCR trooper MP
- Omerta thug
- Mr. House
- Sarah Weintraub
- Street vendor
- Ted Gunderson
- Tommy Torini
- Walter Phebus
- White Glove greeter
- White Glove bartender
- White Glove
- Yes Man
Entering the StripEdit
- The securitrons at the gate will permit entrance with 2000 caps. They will not take the money, but merely check to ensure that the visitor has a large amount of caps.
- Having a Science skill of at least 80 (which is difficult to get if the player makes a direct run to the strip), the securitron can be hacked to gain entrance.
- Alternatively, killing all the securitrons at the gate will allow access. Note that this triggers hostility in case of witnesses; the rest of the securitrons inside will also fight and give infamy.
- The securitrons will also allow access with a New Vegas passport. A Speech of 50 or more allows convincing Ralph, from Mick & Ralph's to forge a passport for 500 caps. It can be gotten for 375 with a Barter check of 50, or even get it for free, with enough NCR reputation.
- Having a "Liked" or greater reputation with the NCR or wearing an NCR uniform will allow travel via the monorail at Camp McCarran to Las Vegas Boulevard Station, bypassing the Freeside gate. After entering the Strip through this way the securitrons at the Freeside gate will allow leaving and entering the Strip freely without having to pass a skill check or showing caps.
- Mr. House is the enigmatic overlord of the Strip. He controls his small empire from the confines of the Lucky 38 casino, where no other known living person has set foot for over two hundred years.
- The securitron outside of the Strip guarding Freeside residents from coming in will re-spawn, but securitrons inside the Strip will not re-spawn except upon completion of The House Always Wins II where the securitrons are upgraded to the MKII variant.
- In the opening scene, the Strip is shown without the gates separating each section. The cinematic was rendered earlier in development, before the gates had to be installed due to memory limitations.
- A brahmin can sometimes be seen being chased by two MPs from one to the other gate near The Tops casino then disappearing on the other side.
- The first time the Strip is entered, Dean Martin's song "Ain't that a Kick in the Head?" will play.
- Victor will take control of another securitron and force a conversation with the Courier the first time they enter the Strip.
- NCR soldiers are seen dancing with the hookers near the gate leading to the second part of the strip.
- NCR soldiers can be seen walking drunk around the Strip; their dialogue is as normal as sober soldiers found at the Embassy.
- Some of Cass's dialogue and the names of several NPCs and scripts in the G.E.C.K. refer to the Strip as "The Street."
- Mailboxes can be found on the Strip containing temporary skill magazines.
- On the rare single chance, drunk partiers can be seen partying in the fountain of the Ultra-Luxe and being force out by a MP unit and a securitron.
- Supposedly, both Freeside and the Strip were originally going to be larger but had to be cut down due to memory problems.
The New Vegas Strip appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes, when advancing in "For the Republic, Part 2" or "Wild Card: Side Bets", the door to the Strip is locked.[verified]
- One solution is to travel to the Strip by monorail from Camp McCarran (unless it is already destroyed).
- Another solution is to kill a gate securitron to get a key but you'll lose reputation (and all the gate securitrons will attack you). If you use a silenced sniper rifle or Christine's CoS silencer rifle (with Old World Blues installed), you should be able to kill one of the securitrons without alerting the remainder.
- Another solution is paying your way again to the securitron, you could also add the 2000 caps needed by using the console command player.additem 0000000f 2000.
- You can use a console command to get the key: player.additem 00119875 1, or you can open the console, click the gate, and type "unlock" into the console.
- xbox360 Reloading a previous auto-save seems to fix this problem.
- pc Going near the gate to New Vegas Strip sometimes causes an extremely loud buzzing noise.[verified]
- xbox360 When in the New Vegas Strip outside of Gomorrah, if you attack one (unarmed) of the girls dancing outside, mostly every civilian runs into Gomorrah, if you run with them into Gomorrah, you'll have no HUD and no ability of movement, no Pip-Boy or weaponry, only crouch, this is unfixable, unless you saved recently before entering the area (this is known as a Soft Crash) [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Entering the Strip may cause console to crash showing only black screen. Wearing the old cowboy hat can prevent this. [verified]