Nelson was a second New California Republic outpost, as the NCR slowly gained ground along the Colorado River to stem the tide of the Legion’s advance across Arizona. But Caesar struck back, razing Nelson, and capturing any NCR troopers that weren’t executed or shot, and crucified them as an example of barbarism; to crush the NCR morale. Currently a group of Legionaries under the command of Dead Sea are stationed there.
There are two barracks in the north-north-east part of Nelson. The one on the left contains the bodies of two NCR troopers and the one on the right contains another body as well as two recruit legionaries and the legionary leader, Dead Sea. In the north-west there is a vacated house.
In the east-south-east there are two more houses. The one on the left is used for storage, containing multiple crates filled with Sunset Sarsaparilla and ammunition boxes, while the one on the right is used as a mess hall.
In the west-south-west there are a further two houses.
In the center of Nelson there are three crosses to which three NCR troopers are tied. You can release the troopers during the quest Restoring Hope. Untying a trooper, regardless of your standing with the Legion or having the quest, will result in the nearby Legion troops becoming hostile.
- Nuka-Cola Victory - inside the Nelson house next to and west of the two barracks, behind the fridge
- Liberator - on Dead Sea in the eastern barracks
- Nelson will periodically be attacked by a squad of three NCR troopers armed with caravan shotguns from Camp Forlorn Hope. Unless the player character has already killed most of the Nelson guards, the legionaries will be able to easily repulse the attack. This may trigger when visiting Nelson after starting the Restoring Hope quest.
- Directly East of Nelson are three graves and a small post for the legion.
- A generator can be found near the barracks that Dead Sea resides in. Turning it off will turn off the lights on the telephone poles. This can most easily be seen at night.
- The surrounding mountains make the garrison in Nelson very susceptible to sniper fire. A player character with a silenced sniper rifle and decent Guns and Sneak skills can easily take out the entire camp without direct confrontation.
- If the player character manages to annihilate all the legionaries in Nelson, the soldiers at Camp Forlorn Hope will talk about the player freeing Nelson.
- After Nelson has been liberated from the Legion, the NCR guards there will have the same dialogue as the troopers in Camp Forlorn Hope.
- Killing Dead Sea silently and talking to the legionaries outside they may cause them to comment that Nelson was slaughtered to the last man even though they're still alive.
Nelson appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
There is an actual small town of Nelson in Nevada.
- xbox360 ps3 After the NCR has spawned and the Legionaries are gone, there may be 3 Legionaries running into each other in front of the camp fire, not going anywhere. [verified]
- ps3 Sometimes when leaving Nelson near the guard tower facing Forlorn Hope the Legion guards may attack you regardless of your rep with them. If you or your followers kill them, you will lose your reputation with them. If this occurs, reload save and just go around and stay out of sight. Occurs when doing a quest for Dead Sea. [verified]
- pc ps3 Instead of three NCR troopers attacking Nelson, a group of roughly twelve may attack. They will kill any Legion Guards or Mongrels outside, and then stand in a circle in the center of the town. [verified]
- pc Sometimes the NCR soldiers that are "tied up" are simply standing in front of the crosses. They appear to be "untied" but still need to be untied.[verified]