God bless the USA. And nowhere else.”— Nathan
Nathan was born in 2212.
Nathan, 64, ran a caravan route for over 30 years with his wife, Manya. During that time, he became a little obsessed with the Enclave radio broadcasts. Since then, Nathan has become a bit of a fanatic, believing that the Enclave will bring salvation to the wasteland and is trying to convince everyone else in Megaton of this fact. Most of the residents write Nathan off as the local busybody, but all are quick to note that after 30 years on the back of a wagon, he is one hell of a shot when it comes to gunplay.
Nathan has an open tab at Moriarty's Saloon currently standing at 8 caps.
Manya Vargas is his wife.
Interactions with the player character
Effects of player's actions
He will ask you about your opinion of the Enclave. He will praise you if you say they are good; saying that the U.S. is a great country and even though you were born under America (in a Vault), you are still American. If you say something bad about the Enclave, he will dislike you. However, he will like you again if you find him in Raven Rock.
- Nathan will be oblivious to the Enclave's arrival in the wasteland (even though it is proclaimed on both radio stations) and cannot be told about it. His dialogue options remain the same.
- If you did not blow up Megaton, he later appears in the Enclave's Raven Rock base in one of the cells next to yours, warning "They're not who they say they are, get out while you can, before they get you too!" You cannot make him follow you and attempting to talk to him will simply result in him repeating his warning. In the event that he does survive the escape from Raven Rock, he can be found in Megaton. However, he says nothing about his escape and his dialogue options about supporting the Enclave are the same as before.
- If you do not open the cell where Nathan is, you will still find him alive and well in Megaton after escaping Raven Rock.
- If you, or another power kills Nathan, he will often mutter 'Manya' (his wife's name) as he falls to the ground.
- On a similar note, if Nathan is killed at Raven Rock during The American Dream, or at all, the player will no longer be able to open dialogue with Manya, instead she will simply acknowledge that he is dead, and will sometimes drift off thinking of him before he died.
- There is a typo in the subtitles which can be seen asked "Why do you support the Enclave?"; Nathan's subtitles will read "Because American is the greatest country on Earth", but the grammatically correct "America" is heard in the audio.
- He can sometimes be heard humming Yankie Doodle Dandy.
- "Things will be different when the Enclave gets here."
Nathaniel Vargas appears only in Fallout 3.
- ps3 xbox360 pc Like all other Megaton characters, Nathan Vargas might go missing or turn up dead. See recovering missing NPC in Fallout 3 on how to resolve this issue.