Mole rat disease is a potentially permanent effect the player character obtains if bitten by an infected mole rat in Vault 81 during the quest Hole in the Wall. The effect is -10 Max HP. So where health is concerned, the disease permanently lowers the Sole Survivor's Level by 1. During the quest, the Sole Survivor will obtain the only dose of the cure available. If the player character has contracted the disease then there is a choice to either save the life of Austin Engill, a young boy who was bitten by an infected mole rat himself, or use the cure on themself. If the Sole Survivor cures Austin of mole rat disease, they will gain the favor of the vault as well as a room to stay in and access to all of the publicly-placed items in the vault, even those in the Depot.
For tips on how to prevent contracting the disease, see the quest page.
- The condition can be removed by spawning an additional cure via console command: player.additem 00055f10.
- It can also be removed by using player.removeperk 0023aec1, due to how it is regarded as a perk.
- pc ps4 xboxone Tell the doctor the Sole Survivor is keeping the cure for themselves. Then, while the dialogue option to say "You're Right" is available, simply use the cure before choosing it. The Sole Survivor will be cured and everyone will react as if chosen to cure Austin. [verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone It is possible to contract the virus without being bitten by a mole rat. This can be caused by a companion getting attacked. [verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone If the dormant protectron is activated and bitten, the Sole Survivor will contract the disease. [verified]