Why don't you relax a second? Get your bearings. Let's see what the damage is.”— Doc Mitchell, after the Courier regains consciousness.
Mitchell was born in Vault 21, where he was known by the nickname "Mole Butt" by the younger residents. He left at some point after it was opened, becoming a traveling doctor to help the people of the wasteland. As Mitchell got older, he returned to New Vegas and married his childhood sweetheart. Some time afterward, he retired to Goodsprings, serving as the town doctor.
His wife died at some point, but he doesn't dwell on the past. If you have visited Vault 21 and talk to Mitchell again, he will explain that he was going to California with his wife. Due to the weak immune system she had from living in a vault her whole life, she passed away in Goodsprings, causing Mitchell to settle down there so he could always remain close to her.
Interactions with the player character
- Ain't That a Kick in the Head: Doc Mitchell is ultimately responsible for saving the Courier's life after Benny leaves them for dead. Awakening from the coma, Doc Mitchell runs numerous procedures and tests to make sure the Courier is 'alright.' This serves as a milieu for character building, as well.
- Ghost Town Gunfight: Mitchell provides the defending residents with stimpaks and/or 2 doctor's bags to help defend against the Powder gangers.
- Run Goodsprings Run: The player can persuade Mitchell to give them stimpaks to help the Powder Gangers with Medicine 25.
- Mitchell revives the player after being found by Victor, and sets the characters stats for the game with help of the Vit-o-Matic. He then gives the player a set of weapons (depending on your tagged skills), a Vault 21 jumpsuit (either his own or his late wife's, depending on your gender), and his old Pip-Boy 3000. If the player has one of the pre-order packs , or Courier's Stash installed, the items will be added when the game begins, though can't be accessed until Mitchell gives the player the Pip-Boy 3000.
- Prior to leaving the house for the first time, the player can also gain an additional 3 stimpaks by passing a Medicine check (30). An additional Speech check (30) can be completed after the initial medicine check to gain 2 additional stimpaks, again this must be done before leaving the house the first time.
- Both skill checks reward 30 XP for a total of 60 XP, or 70 if the 9mm submachine gun is also repaired.
Mitchell's dialog is influenced by the Courier's choice of S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes.
|Strength||Low||"That's some serious atrophy, even for someone who's been in bed awhile. It's a wonder you can move at all."|
|High||"Surprised anybody'd want to tangle with you. Heck, you could go deathclaw hunting with a switch."|
|Perception||Low||"Now I ain't no optometrist, but maybe we should fit you for some glasses while you're here."|
|High||"Nothing gets by you, huh? Coulda used you when I lost my keys last month."|
|Endurance||Low||"I just don't get it. A stiff breeze'd tear you in two but a couple of bullets and you're right as rain."|
|High||"I guess that explains how you're still alive. You're built solid as an oak."|
|Charisma||Low||"Huh. Must be some frontal lobe damage."|
|High||"Good to see them bullets didn't affect your charm none."|
|Intelligence||Low||"Sorry, son/little lady. I fixed up your head as best I knew how. I guess I missed a spot."|
|High||"Look at that. Maybe them bullets done your brain some good."|
|Agility||Low||"Don't have all your coordination back yet, looks like. You should think about doing some rehab."|
|High||"Most patients don't get out of bed after being shot and then move like they was in perfect control. You're unusual, I'll say that."|
|Luck||Low||"Now that don't make a lick of sense. Seems to me you're the luckiest son-of-a-gun in New Vegas."|
|High||"With Luck like yours I'm surprised them bullets didn't just turn right around and climb back into the gun."|
|All||None||"Yep, that's a pretty standard score there. But after what you been through, I'd say that's great news."|
He will only comment on one of your attributes, and only the one at the largest extreme. For example if your highest attribute is Strength at 8 and your lowest is Charisma at 1, he will comment on your lack of Charisma. If you have several attributes at one extreme, he will still only comment on one of them. For example, with Strength and Intelligence at 10, he will comment on Intelligence.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
Field hand outfit
|Laser pistol*||Bottle cap
* Only during Run Goodsprings Run.
- The flag that flies above Doc Mitchell's house would indicate some connection to the Commonwealth and the State of Nevada, as this State flag has the added text " South west Commonwealth".
- If in the word test you say human shield, Doc Mitchell will mention how disturbing your answers are.
- None of the items in his home are flagged as being owned, so you can take whatever isn't nailed down with no penalty to your Karma, nor will he care if you take something right in front of him. This is one of the few inhabited properties in the Mojave Wasteland where you can do this. Plus you can sell everything you took from his house, and gain extra caps.
- If you pick a female character, he will mention you are about the same size as his late wife when giving you the Vault jumpsuit.
- One of his ink blots bears a remarkable resemblance of two bears high-fiving. This has its own homage as seen in Honest Hearts with the Two-Bears-High-Fiving Wild Wasteland occurrence.
- In the strip's Vault 21, Sarah tells you that Doc. Mitchell's old nickname was "Mole-Butt", though it does not have any effect on his dialogue options.
- When Doc Mitchell says he knows what it means to lose something, he is talking about losing Vault 21 to Mr. House rather than talking about his wife.
- "But try not to get killed anymore."
- "Well, that's all she wrote."
- "Seems like wherever I go it's always the same. Folks just never leave each other alone."
- "I hoped you wouldn't have to visit me so soon. Anything wrong?"
- "How are you holding up?"
Mitchell appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.